How to tell if someone is a natural or slow learner?

xdaniel67x

White Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering how one would distinguish if one is inherently better at BJJ than another?
About how long do you have to roll or practice before one can tell?

Is it because they pick up submissions better or the like or natural tendency to do certain things?

If your a white belt training lerss than a year, tapping blues and giving purples & above difficulties

TigreDeBengala said:
If your a white belt training lerss than a year, tapping blues and giving purples & above difficulties

I definitely understand that, but I was more curious about specific things they are better at, maybe aggressiveness or ability to escape better, I guess it comes down to being a quick learner....

In almost every sport there are naturals that are just able to pick something up better than others, it's pretty interesting if you think about it, would be intriguing to know how it applies to a BJJ context

You can tell by how many times you have to show someone to do something. Some people you can show once and they will be able to do it perfectly and repeate it. Others you may have to show 5 or 6 times before they even understand the basics and it will take even longer before they can do the move without thinking about it.

its just how a person learns there is no way you can tell unless you see em in action...its like some people are good at math, and some are good at science

when a guy is obviously giving it a very hard try but still can't improve at a regular rate.

It's sort of like alot of natural wrestlers seem to already know how to use their weight as an advantage. Or alot of guys that may not be able to bench alot but are able to slam people around like it's their job.

You can tell when they're like me. I've had a few BBJ classes, and I'm like the special kid in school that doesn't understand the easy stuff. I'm not joking when I saw I bring down the other beginners, as it takes me twice as long to learn anything.

I listen to the instructor, I watch his examples, and I watch other students. But when it's my turn, I have the wrong placement, I do it way too slowly, or I just don't have the muscle to pull things off (which is the most humiliating). I try really hard, but it just doesn't come naturally. I also have a fear of being seriously hurt. I can't afford a broken bone, so I think that holds me back.

However, I'm a graphic designer/video editor by trade, and that stuff comes very natural to me. I guess I can't win them all.

SlaMMeR PaRTy said:
when a guy is obviously giving it a very hard try but still can't improve at a regular rate.

*ding* *ding* *ding* right here!

Rayzak2000 said:
You can tell when they're like me. I've had a few BBJ classes, and I'm like the special kid in school that doesn't understand the easy stuff. I'm not joking when I saw I bring down the other beginners, as it takes me twice as long to learn anything.

I listen to the instructor, I watch his examples, and I watch other students. But when it's my turn, I have the wrong placement, I do it way too slowly, or I just don't have the muscle to pull things off (which is the most humiliating). I try really hard, but it just doesn't come naturally. I also have a fear of being seriously hurt. I can't afford a broken bone, so I think that holds me back.

However, I'm a graphic designer/video editor by trade, and that stuff comes very natural to me. I guess I can't win them all.

Rayzak2000 said:
*ding* *ding* *ding* right here!
ha ha ha :)

I think it's a combination of feel, passion, imagination (being able to visualize), and a strong kenetic awareness that makes people naturals. Stuff that can't be taught. We've already got a couple of examples of the other extreem on this thread.

I think fast learners might pick up moves faster but they platueau faster and their skills turn stagnant. While the slow learner( if he keeps with it, but most slow learners do not) learns steadily and given enough time both their skill levels will even out. Kind of reminds me back in high school. Some people mature faster then others but given enough time those skinny dorks fill in their frames.

Rayzak2000 said:

I'm not a very fast learner at anything, but when I do something more often I eventually pick things up fast. For me, its a lack of patience, its why I dropped playing guitar, doing football, I'm one of those people who want to be good fast & awesome by tomorrow. These days, BJJ has made me realise that won't happen, so I just try & train as much as possible & go through things at home. Simple things used to confuse me at BJJ, such as the way to position your weight when doing an armbar, how to break fall, how to escape arm bars. I try & practice at home as much as possible, thinking about the moves isn't enough. Even if you got to practice on a pillow with a towel for arms, if you keep the moves fresh in your mind it may help. I'm now only training 2 x a week & sometimes i get dragged out drinking rather than training, so recently, I've been training around once or twice a week, which isn;t enuff. I've got saturdays off so I have no excuse not to now train 3 times a week, I think doing that & practicing at home will aid your long term BJJ development. Don't worry, do the pillow trick, we have grown pretty close, I'm gonna take take her out for drinks tonight.

what about a 4 month white belt that is tapping blues once a week and beats all the other whites?
natural

I look for a student that keeps getting caught in the same submissions no matter how many times you go over the defense. Like the ones that lead with their head and wonder why everyone in the school is getting guilatine chokes on him. Someone above mentioned though, that given time these guys keep getting better (albiet slowly) rather than reaching a level in six months that seems to stay with them for two years. A suggestion, if you think you are learning slowly, spend some of your rolling time, or make more time to pair up with a partner (preferably better than you) and drill, drill, drill the tranistions and submissions. the right partner will make it difficult enough for you that you have to get it right. He can also coach you through em as many times as it takes to get them working for you. You will be suprized at the results.

It's a combination of a couple of things; the only way to tell for certain is to watch someone over a period of time. I'm a terrible natural athlete and get schooled by people who have been training for less time even if we are the same size. It was the same way when I was doing TKD; a few years of getting my butt kicked all the time. But if you stick with it, you get there.

The one thing that I've noticed is that people who are naturals tend not to be as good at teaching. Since things come to them easily, they often have a hard time explaining a move or a concept beyond just showing it. I found that since it takes me so long to learn something, I have to analyze the hell out of it. This makes it easier to explain to people who learn better through verbal instruction than visual (or are a mix of the two). That and I tend to have more patience with people who don't learn quickly.

This isn't always the case; some of my best teachers have been naturals, but it seems to be more often than not.

im not a hater, but i have a kid in our school bjj club who needed a refresher course on armbar and triangle from guard every fucking week. im not even kidding. he was a smart kid, but just the slowest learner ever.

i'm a slow learner but it doesnt matter since i can kick ass now ;)

Back