How to tell if pork fat is hydrogenated ?

Jaedong

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So I bought 2 pounds of pork fat for frying purposes. It doesn't state that it is hydrogenated, only Pork fat and the farmers last name it's from. It is relatively soft and melted pretty fast when I fried in it. So how can I be sure that it isn't hydrogenated ?

Pork fat is naturally a very saturated product, so I don't think they would go out of their way to hydrogenate it to saturate it any more than it is.

Still a solid at room temperature?

Pork fat is naturally a very saturated product, so I don't think they would go out of their way to hydrogenate it to saturate it any more than it is.

Still a solid at room temperature?

It is solid, kinda creamy. But I am pretty sure I saw at the same market a pork fat "container" that had hydrogenate written on it.

Do product by law have to state if they are hydrogenated. On a lot of sweets there is stated on the packing in the ingredients - hydrogenated vegetable fat so my guess is they have to mention it.

Tanks for the reply

Product packaging varies by location. The CFIA in Canada has standards and rules for labeling, such as levels required for "high in ___" or "source of ____". Where are you from?

It doesn't sound to me like it is hydrogenated. Raw pork fat itself should be semi-solid to solid at room temperature, so if it were hydrogenated I would think it would be quite solid at room temperature.

pay some grad student to digest it to the fatty acids and look at the NMR

Product packaging varies by location. The CFIA in Canada has standards and rules for labeling, such as levels required for "high in ___" or "source of ____". Where are you from?

It doesn't sound to me like it is hydrogenated. Raw pork fat itself should be semi-solid to solid at room temperature, so if it were hydrogenated I would think it would be quite solid at room temperature.

I'm from Bosnia and Herzegovina (Herzegovina to be accurate). The shelf life of it is 6 months stated on the packing. It is pretty creamy not very hard at all.

I don't know any students who could do that nor does it sound reasonable.

I think running an Iodine Value would be easier. Much quicker too!

It doesn't sound to me like its hydrogenated. I'd put a million dollars on it not being hydrogenated.

I want more opinions, thus far I only have one poster thinking it's not hydrogenated.

Back