how to swing your arm while kicking

Was going to say that the guy in the thumbnail reminded me of Sam-A and then I clicked it lol. The full version has some farang dude who kicks pretty damn well himself.

Was actually staying across the street from this gym when I went to Bangkok but didn't get to train there...we checked it out but everyone was mid day napping lol:

I always found this funny, because I have always been taught not to drop my arm when kicking...so how to? Just don’t.

I always found this funny, because I have always been taught not to drop my arm when kicking...so how to? Just don’t.

Yeah, exactly... Why learn from the Thais? What do they know about kicking? Lets just learn from your very good explanation why we shouldn't drop the arm: Because you haven't learned it that way.

Horizontal little bit downwards. Pro tip for more power : push shoulder forward at same time. Learned it from Namsaknoi himself.

Yeah, exactly... Why learn from the Thais? What do they know about kicking? Lets just learn from your very good explanation why we shouldn't drop the arm: Because you haven't learned it that way.
i was simply relaying my experience and how I was taught, quite defensive someone who apparently has no problem leaving his head unprotected while kicking...

if you say so. Never had an issue with power.

That’s like you don’t have powerful punches if you don’t throw haymakers
Absolutely not. Im pretty sure you dont even train when u say stuff like this. 100 %. Show me one strong kicking pro fighter that dont drop one hand.. U angle your head away from a counter punch and have your other hand up and shoulder protecting you. Sorry but you come off as a bum. Look at every strong kicker ever and look at hand and arm position.. I trained with some of the best muay thai fighters of this era and older and they all teach you to kick like this. You telling me Yodsanklai and Saenchai have shitty kick technique and make you laugh? Please tell me who taught you though so we can shame him

you dont drop your arm you swing it. This is a variation of how to swing it.

Even the TMA guys swing their arm when kicking so I find your statement odd, what martial art do you train where they teach you to kick without swinging the arm?

Was going to say that the guy in the thumbnail reminded me of Sam-A and then I clicked it lol. The full version has some farang dude who kicks pretty damn well himself.

Was actually staying across the street from this gym when I went to Bangkok but didn't get to train there...we checked it out but everyone was mid day napping lol:

the white guy is Daniel Mcgowan, he fights for petchyindee.

you dont drop your arm you swing it. This is a variation of how to swing it.

Even the TMA guys swing their arm when kicking so I find your statement odd, what martial art do you train where they teach you to kick without swinging the arm?
i train goju ryu. part of the difference maybe that kicks above the waist are extremely uncommon in goju, but i can still manage plenty of power, with a body kick or a head kick with out swinging my arm. swinging the arm out and away looks a lot like dropping the arm/hand to me.

also i thank you for a post that seems sincerely inquisitive rather than simply attacking me/defensive of your own way of doing things.

i acknowledge that the swinging of the arm creates a counter balance allowing for more force to be used and effectively controlled. there's always a trade off between offense and defense, and for me, removing my hand/arm from a defensive posture while already cutting my stability and balance in half by being on only one leg is too big of a trade off for my tastes.

while i've only fought in the dojo, and backyard fight nights, i can honestly say i've never had a head kick come close to being landed on me successfully, and the majority of the momentum and force of a kick is in the foot as it swings, so stepping into the kick can check it as easily as lifting your leg can check a leg kick. stepping into an attack coming for your head kind of has a psychological barrier to it admittedly, but the fact a successful kick to the head has been landed on me even by a TKD black belt who came to our dojo to learn how to use his hands better, just makes me uncomfortable with leaving myself that open (and every head kick that's been attempted on me has been met with a strike of some sort to the head, most of which land before my opponent can get that hand back to defend against it.)

Last edited:
also i thank you for a post that seems sincerely inquisitive rather than simply attacking me/defensive of your own way of doing things.

Ooooh, I'm gonna take that personally... But if you had posted an explanation, even if I don't agree, I would gladly talk about it... But you just came with a : I don't do it that way, so you must not do it that way.

i train goju ryu. part of the difference maybe that kicks above the waist are extremely uncommon in goju, but i can still manage plenty of power, with a body kick or a head kick with out swinging my arm. swinging the arm out and away looks a lot like dropping the arm/hand to me.

i acknowledge that the swinging of the arm creates a counter balance allowing for more force to be used and effectively controlled. there's always a trade off between offense and defense, and for me, removing my hand/arm from a defensive posture while already cutting my stability and balance in half by being on only one leg is too big of a trade off for my tastes.

while i've only fought in the dojo, and backyard fight nights, i can honestly say i've never had a head kick come close to being landed on me successfully, and the majority of the momentum and force of a kick is in the foot as it swings, so stepping into the kick can check it as easily as lifting your leg can check a leg kick. stepping into an attack coming for your head kind of has a psychological barrier to it admittedly, but the fact a successful kick to the head has been landed on me even by a TKD black belt who came to our dojo to learn how to use his hands better, just makes me uncomfortable with leaving myself that open (and every head kick that's been attempted on me has been met with a strike of some sort to the head, most of which land before my opponent can get that hand back to defend against it.)
No just no. Can you please post a video of a strong kick with the hands up? i would love to see it. It would be like seeing a unicorn for the first time. I could kick u 100 times in a row with the same kick and u would not land a punch. There is ways to defend yourself with one hand shoulders and headmovement. I will pay you 50 dollars i swear on my life if u post a video of a strong kick with both hands up

anytime you throw something, you open yourself up somewhere.......one thing a old coach said to me that really stuck a long time ago was "its not a perfect science" which its not. sounds like you already have the understanding and concept of this, as well as why you would swing your arm etc.

I find generating a strong leg kick to the thigh without swinging the arm difficult, as well as to the body or head. but I also find when kicking to the leg, body or head, swinging the arm helps remain on balance. i think a snap kick to the body or head could still be somewhat powerful without swinging the arm but would be difficult to remain on balance, unless you do not pivot/rotate the hips, in which case it would be a snap kick, rather than a roundhouse. snap kicks can be powerful, obviously not as much as a roundhouse, but to the head a kick does not need to be very strong.

anytime you throw something, you open yourself up somewhere.......one thing a old coach said to me that really stuck a long time ago was "its not a perfect science" which its not. sounds like you already have the understanding and concept of this, as well as why you would swing your arm etc.

I find generating a strong leg kick to the thigh without swinging the arm difficult, as well as to the body or head. but I also find when kicking to the leg, body or head, swinging the arm helps remain on balance. i think a snap kick to the body or head could still be somewhat powerful without swinging the arm but would be difficult to remain on balance, unless you do not pivot/rotate the hips, in which case it would be a snap kick, rather than a roundhouse. snap kicks can be powerful, obviously not as much as a roundhouse, but to the head a kick does not need to be very strong.
doing the cliche TMA chamber can give you a more powerful punch as well but would you ever do that while punching? If so would you do it every punch or damn near every punch?
It’s the same thing to me. Not big on what I perceive as all or nothing type attacks

I swing the same arm according to which leg is kicking. It was hard to unlearn that for low kicks ten years ago when I went out to the West Coast at the first MT academy in America. I do a weird bastardize version where I stick that swinging arm up now.

Back