How to stop being pulled to guard

demonx

Blue Belt
Reaction score
At the start of most wrestles I get pulled to guard, which I really hate. THe easiest way I have found to counter this is to be the one pulling to guard, but I hate that too.

So what ways can I stop someone from instantly pulling me to guard so as I can go into my game instead of piss farting around passing etc.

From the kness?
Good luck..But yeah try to control the legs, get one pinned to the ground

From standing you can try ankle picks or a double leg where you shoot and step behind one of your opponetns feet. But this ends you in half guard.

I meant from the knees. Sorry for not being clearer.

As far as pinning a leg, THat just puts you into an open guard. They can still push their butt in and pull guard, but it will be open instead of closed.

What I'm looking for is a way to simply stop them in their tracks.

You could try to clinch, then armdrag, you can get them the do lose base and take their back, or pull a front headlock, to set up an anaconda type choke

yeaH i FORGOT I used to pull it on a purple all the time..Try drags and such and eventually they will come after you a lil possibly dropping their head some..When they do front headlock to cradle was GREAT for getting past the legs...Even When I KNEW VERY little I could hold higher ranks in the cradle 4 eva if I felt like it. But genrerally I would use it to get behind or at the very least some sort of side control.

At my club, we spar standing - so, takedowns and everything. If I get pissed with people pulling guard, I simply stand up. Repeat.

But from the knees, sounds like you may just have to get good at guard passing.

from knees when he pulls guard bring one knee up so it prevants him from fully closing guard. be sure to sit on your heel to prevent the delariva guard and start passing from there.

pull guard first, that's another option.

if you time it right , you can do the single knee guard pass

demonx said:
At the start of most wrestles I get pulled to guard, which I really hate. THe easiest way I have found to counter this is to be the one pulling to guard, but I hate that too.

So what ways can I stop someone from instantly pulling me to guard so as I can go into my game instead of piss farting around passing etc.

If you start from standing, shoot! Shoot in low, hard and fast.

Here is a helpful sight that shows a swing-single, which is great for shooting past guard and into back-position or failing that, a side-control.

https://www.cliffkeen.com/index.cgi

Knee to the nads. Hard.

Just think of it as an opportunity to develop great guard-passing ability. Then the other guys in your school will eventually learn not to do it as much on you.

its brazilian jiu jitsu, youre going to have to get used to being in someones guard

demonx said:
Who would have thought your opponent would even think about doing something you didn't like?

demonx said:
Yeah. After all, guard passing is useless in jiu jitsu anyway.

Move around with him standing(to the side-he should follow) , try a couple of footsweeps and/or a quick seoinage.

Good link Kforcer. It brings back ooooooooooold memories. I am going to rehash some old moves in my next practice.

instead of looking for "tricks" to avoid guard.. just learn to pass.. Better to learn every position than to just avoid the ones "you dont like". The fact you dont like it, means to me should let ie happen more.. Your obviously uncomfortable in the guard. It would do you some good to spend some time in it and get better at passing.

Starting from knees, someone is going to go to a guard of some sort. I usually just pick a position and tell them that is where I want to start.

b0b said:
Starting from knees, someone is going to go to a guard of some sort. I usually just pick a position and tell them that is where I want to start.
Yeah. We start from specific positions sometimes, but generally we start standing.

Back