How to stay out of Leg Locks?

GuardGame

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Ok. I'm 16, been doing BJJ for a little bit over 2 years and a blue belt. The thing I have the most trouble with when we spar, is staying out of leg locks. I'm always getting caught in those by another blue belt. And its always the same guy thats doing it. I give him all the credit for going for them though, he always gets me in them. I'm wondering how to stay out of them and how to position myself so that I dont give up my legs for any locks. Answers and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

This is just a very basic tip but much like arms keeping your elbows in tight perhaps keeping your legs in close to your body while holding guard might be a start.

GuardGame said:
Ok. I'm 16, been doing BJJ for a little bit over 2 years and a blue belt. The thing I have the most trouble with when we spar, is staying out of leg locks. I'm always getting caught in those by another blue belt. And its always the same guy thats doing it. I give him all the credit for going for them though, he always gets me in them. I'm wondering how to stay out of them and how to position myself so that I dont give up my legs for any locks. Answers and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

haha funny thing is last night I had a feeling you were going to post something like this about me. Hopefully you get some good advice cause there's some good guys on here. See you on the mat

GuardGame said:

When caught, grab onto the guy and push the leg through.

Simple but effective.

Also look into counter leg locks if your class mate doesnt protect his own legs.

What type of leglocks do you get caught in?

Just keep on training....i know one guy in our academy who can pull a leg lock out of nowhere....i fucking hate it... :redface:

Don't let your legs become isolated. Keep your feet in contact if your opponent is in position to go to a leg lock.

Cut of your legs and be the most successful handicaped grapplers ever.
No, just keep training.

honestly best advice i can give you. same advice someone gave to me. ask your opponent. talk to him get him to show you where you are slipping up. sure it seems kinda wierd but thats y you train together is to learn from each other. training i s a two part process one you roll then you help teach and learn. ask your opponent how he is catching you. where he is seeing the opening. it only benifits the both of you to learn from each other.

always know where you legs are. they're your second set of arms for attacks and being attacked, why would you forget about them? you protect your arms and forget your neck, you get chocked. you forget your legs and you get leglocked. :p

it will take a while but if you always pay attention to where your legs are, and what positioning is bad for them then you'll naturally have better defense aginst them. a great way to learn to defend leglocks is to use them more often. the better you know the hold, the more you know the weaknesses and escapes of it.

also, when he's going for the regular leglock position, (ie for achillies or heelhook), you can damn near always peel off his feet and stand up going for a mount or hook him. pull the foot he posts on your hip across and you have an inverted heelhook if you can catch the heel. just let him know when you secure it because cranking this will injure him. most people dont know enough about heelhooks, much less an inverted one so caution. bas' dvds are good with leglocks.

also, when you're defending the leglock position you want to get your leg straight and your foot deep. the sooner the better. if he can bend your leg, he can get the sub. next, like i mentioned would be peeling his legs off with your hands and standin up. bend the leg and put weight on it and you can go for positioning. a downside of leglocks are you give up your position to go for them, so use that against him.

Back