How to shrink a BJJ Gi???

PistolPeteMMA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have an Atama gi that I bought and it fits great except the sleeves are too long. Someone said that I shouldn't have it tailored because it won't have the same strength. They said I should soak it in vinegar and then put it in the dryer???

What is the process involved in shrinking BJJ sleeves? I need it to be about 1.5" shorter on each arm and it will be perfect.

Thanks in advance,
Pete

If it's just the sleeves, place them and not the whole gi in hot water and then throw it in the dryer. For the most shrinkage, use nearly boiling water.

Just throw it in there DAMP like after the washing machine's spin cycle or SOAKING as if you dunked it in water and throw it in the machine dripping wet?

Last edited:
I actually need to shrink my new Gi a bit as well, I'm afraid it may be a size too big. Any tricks?

Just throw it in there DAMP like after the washing machine's spin cycle or SOAKING as if you dunked it in water and throw it in the machine dripping wet?

You can just wring it out a bit before placing it in the dryer.

I actually need to shrink my new Gi a bit as well, I'm afraid it may be a size too big. Any tricks?

Honestly, if it's a full size too big, you should just exchange it for another. You might get the sleeves and pants where you want them but the rest will probably feel awkward (usually the chest area bunches a lot). (Lucky Gis are an exception I think in that they shrink quite a bit and very uniformly.)

Back