How to pass the guard of extremely flexible people

ozyabbas

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I find that passing the guard of more flexible people is really irritating. It seems to really limit my options. Its not that passing the guard is impossible to do, its just that you need far better technique than dealing with a person of average flexibility.

Its usually the people who have natural or usable flexibility that are most difficult. Some people have developed their flexibility, can do the splits etc but don't seem to be able to use that flexibility in sparring as often. The guys with natural flexibility can put themselves in positions without needing pressure to get in those positions.

The guard passes that don't work as well with them are ones that involve stacking. They seem to be able to get their feet into any nook or cranny which negates the pass.

Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with these kinds of people.

Just like any other pass. Control their hips.

I don't pass the guard of a flexible person any differently than someone who isn't flexible. Either way you just control their hips and shut 'em down. Just work on your passing and tighten things up, I don't consider myself to be incredibly flexible (on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being Eddie Bravo or some yoga master, I'm probably about an 8) but if you give me ANY space at all you will not pass my guard.

Just work on your technique. Whenever you work stacking passes you need to make sure you twist your hip down into the person as you stack/pass. If there is any space between your hip and their's you run the risk of having your pass countered. Flexible people are just better able to take advantage of your as of yet unrefined technique. Just keep practicing.

I totally prefer stacking passes against really flexible people. The other passes -- run around, or knee crossing -- are too hard because they keep swimming their legs in with all the space. You give a flexible guard player any space, they are doing something treacherous with it.

Smash them. A really flexible person is dangerous if you give them space.

Generally flexible people fall apart with good half guard passes (personal experience) so go with a good solid half guard pass like:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HL2tTtDHRs0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HL2tTtDHRs0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Or the one sherk used against franca so well. I can't find a vid of it. The one with underhook, shoulder pressure and then use your instep to free your leg. This one works great against the flexible bastards 'cause you can really smash them the whole way.

At the moment, the pass that has been working best for me start with gripping the pant leg. One ridiculously easy one is to keep pressure on their knees whilst holding the pant legs, keeping my pressure down and arms locked out. Pushing and pulling very slightly. When one of their legs come a little too far forward, push it down using my weight and put my other hand dipping next to the hip on the opposite side to the leg you are holding.

Its hard to explain, its surprising how well it works. The hard part is managing to get hold of their pant leg without them either armdragging you, pushing on your top collar or using the opportunity to go into spider guard.

Another very easy one is to have a grip at around the end of the pant leg with one hand and a grip on the arm on that same side as you have their leg. Then just move to the side a little and slide them to you and put your knee on their belly. Again, the hard part is getting the grips.

I don't do no Gi so those passes would be negated in that circumstance.

Smash them. A really flexible person is dangerous if you give them space.

Generally flexible people fall apart with good half guard passes (personal experience) so go with a good solid half guard pass like:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HL2tTtDHRs0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HL2tTtDHRs0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Or the one sherk used against franca so well. I can't find a vid of it. The one with underhook, shoulder pressure and then use your instep to free your leg. This one works great against the flexible bastards 'cause you can really smash them the whole way.

Yep, I love that pass to. Its the highest percentage pass for me. I like for them to put me in half guard so I can pass from there.

I have a pass I use only on flexible people (particularly long and flexible). You start with an underhook and clasp your hands. Then you simply move to a high side control position. This results in their knees being forced to the mat beside their head. You then work your way to either half guard or side control. I have used this pass successfully many times in no-gi, but don't see anything fundamentally wrong that would affect gi. Going from normal closed guard to the high side control means you have to pass through a sweep (flower sweep?), so it needs to be one fluid motion and you really need to plant your chest on theirs. It is unlikely to work if that pass is being expected and is less effective against less flexible opponents (if you could get into position it would pass them easily, but it would mean that your exposure to the sweep would be much greater).

As for other passes, I agree with the others that smash passes work best against the flexible ones. Smaller (much) and flexible are the worst though...those legs can find their way through the smallest of spaces.

I have a pass I use only on flexible people (particularly long and flexible). You start with an underhook and clasp your hands. Then you simply move to a high side control position. This results in their knees being forced to the mat beside their head. You then work your way to either half guard or side control. I have used this pass successfully many times in no-gi, but don't see anything fundamentally wrong that would affect gi. Going from normal closed guard to the high side control means you have to pass through a sweep (flower sweep?), so it needs to be one fluid motion and you really need to plant your chest on theirs. It is unlikely to work if that pass is being expected and is less effective against less flexible opponents (if you could get into position it would pass them easily, but it would mean that your exposure to the sweep would be much greater).

As for other passes, I agree with the others that smash passes work best against the flexible ones. Smaller (much) and flexible are the worst though...those legs can find their way through the smallest of spaces.

Cheers, I will give that a go in todays training. Your also right about the smaller ones being the worst.

Back