How to not eat a knee on your way up?

It-is-what-it-is

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So we saw mighty mouse get koed yesterday for the first time by a knee , when he was trying to get up.

what's someone supposed to do when they want to get up after being dropped or slipping, but also don't want to eat a knee on their way up? Is there a procedure for dealing with this situation?

Do you just stay down and try to take a leg for a heel hook? Make it a Jiujitsu battle, then extract yourself from it and get up first?

Or what? What's a fighter supposed to do to get up while not getting kneed? What's the correct method of doing this?

By carefully getting up? It's like being cornered in boxing but worse. You're in a position where a lot of bad things can happen to you. The lack of mobility means you can't defend it all no matter what you do.

Don't get in that position. Don't get dropped and don't slip. Or face the consequences

I usually look for the guy to show which leg he pulls back to knee and use his knee to brace myself. So pull back left knee, I brace with my left arm, put left hand on left knee of opponent. Put my hips back and out, stand up, push off hard, circle away from the ropes or fence.

you can't get up without risking to get hit against a fighter who knows what he is doing.all you can hope for is that it's not a heavy shot.

So we saw mighty mouse get koed yesterday for the first time by a knee , when he was trying to get up.

what's someone supposed to do when they want to get up after being dropped or slipping, but also don't want to eat a knee on their way up? Is there a procedure for dealing with this situation?

Do you just stay down and try to take a leg for a heel hook? Make it a Jiujitsu battle, then extract yourself from it and get up first?

Or what? What's a fighter supposed to do to get up while not getting kneed? What's the correct method of doing this?

See diaz vs Daley

Was than an illegal knee of a downed opponent?

If a fighter is comfortable on his back, he can pull guard and work from there (I think this is what Ueyama was forced to do in his fight with Sherk), though that automatically makes you seem like you’re losing in the judge’s eyes...

Sakuraba survived a similar position against Arona by defending the knees, waiting for an opening, and turning it into a takedown (though he would end up in that position again and again and ultimately be unable to escape it)...

Overeem was in a similar position against Liddell and was able to get out almost unscathed by focusing on defending the knees and then just standing up when he saw an opportunity...

Johnson was too focused on getting back to his feet and used his right arm to stay off the mat and he wasn’t able to defend the knee. It’s the correct decision to want to stand back up ASAP, but knees on the ground make it a bit trickier...

Usually refs let you get up and separate the fighters

By carefully getting up? It's like being cornered in boxing but worse. You're in a position where a lot of bad things can happen to you. The lack of mobility means you can't defend it all no matter what you do.
Agree, a fighter has to be very careful getting up not to eat the knee. I don’t have time to make a GIF right now, but Fedor does this well in his fight against Mir. Mir said afterward that he wanted to throw the knee, but didn’t have a good moment when he could land it legally.

Last edited:
En-dbk7cWcCBzL4p4_NMP6zXUQ7hdiHm8NDj4RJpyzsYUXrghCqECezG6Crdtu0F_CgOe8dpn2KvDfouu57m9K3E7AKnlSFimy6ndc1ItEVtKliWkIdSE0eBmJBtDuM

Focus on defending the knees while waiting for the right moment to stand, or stay on your back and try to work up from guard.

De la riva guard is a good way to get the standing opponent off balance to create an opening, or pushing them away with up kicks or butterfly guard elevation.

There is always going to be risk, but a fighter can make that a calculated risk and mitigate a decent amount of danger.

From what I've seen, if a fighter just stays on his back long enough, defending effectively, the referee will eventually stand him back up.

Back