How to handle excessive sweating?

spaghettisauce

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
During muay thai training I end up sweating a lot, especially on a hot day. My t-shirt gets completely drenched, and sweat gets all over the padded floor, which in turn makes things extremely slippery for myself and my sparring partner

Is there anything I can do to avoid getting so much sweat on the floor?

Bring a towel and wipe off every once and a while. It's what I do during kickboxing and BJJ.

UnderArmor shirts are pretty good for soaking up sweat, I wear one all the time as an undershirt... the humidity in North Carolina is always so high, I'm sweating constantly.

I wear some kind of moisture wicking shirt under my tshirt. I used to tape a shamwow piece onto the wrist portion of my gloves for wiping sweat off as well, it's not beautiful and I'm pretty much the only person I've ever seen do it, but I don't have to move to wipe my forehead and I'm not sweating everywhere.

The kind of mat you have depends on if it will absorb it or let it sit, make sure you're sanitizing your mats too!

X-Bionic keeps sweat levels down as it regulates your body temperature. My brother uses it and he's 6'1 240 who sweats through his sweater at the gym. But the XBIONIC helps regulate the amount of sweat.

$60 from Britain

Wiggle Search

I wear some kind of moisture wicking shirt under my tshirt. I used to tape a shamwow piece onto the wrist portion of my gloves for wiping sweat off as well, it's not beautiful and I'm pretty much the only person I've ever seen do it, but I don't have to move to wipe my forehead and I'm not sweating everywhere.

The kind of mat you have depends on if it will absorb it or let it sit, make sure you're sanitizing your mats too!

Genius. Need this idea incorporated into a glove! lol.

I always wear a rashguard and always have a towel around.
I keep an extra shirt around too.
Especially if I have back to back classes.

We have guys change shirts before rolling at the end of a class

yeah, really nothing to do except bring a towel to wipe down and to bring an extra rash guard/shirt.

Towel and a rashguard. I also wear a ankle support which is good for slyly wiping away any drips of sweat.

The ONLY way to deal with it is bring extra shirts. I sweat more than anyone else ive ever met. One practice I lost 8lbs of sweat in 2 hours. (weighed 178, drank a half gallon of water and weighed 174 after practice)

I tried different rash guards (the jaco one sucks for sweaty guys) and there is nothing that will help. If your wearing under armour or something like it you can towel it off a bit if you rub hard, but your still pretty wet afterward.

I wear under Armour because a soaked under armour is easier to roll in than a soaked cotton t-shirt (gets stretched out and tangled, and is pretty gross overall)

Since it bears directly on the topic, I thought that I would mention something that I learned only recently. It sounds strange but to be honest, I was unaware that there was a scientific and physical difference between "deodorant" and "antiperspirant".

It was on "Modern Marvels" on the History Channel. Deodorant only neutralizes odor, where antiperspirant actually fills and plugs the skin pores, and prevents sweat from being released. What the hell, I used to just walk down the aisle in WalMart, and grab something off the shelf.

However, since sweating performs a vital function during athletic performance, for anyone who was unaware of the physical difference, my choice in the future will definitely be deodorant.

:icon_chee

Wiggle.co.uk offers the shirts at half the American price. I got a set for $100. Sounds expensive for one set of clothes--shorts, shirt, beanie--but it's lasted months, even when rubbed on the mats during grappling.

I bring extra shirts for sure, and just keep a towel around.

X-Bionics seems like nonsense. If you don't want your sweat to be pulled away from your skin, then just wear a regular cotton shirt. It'll be soaked, cooling you down.

X-Bionics seems like nonsense. If you don't want your sweat to be pulled away from your skin, then just wear a regular cotton shirt. It'll be soaked, cooling you down.

Nevermind all that science and testing behind it. :)

Nevermind all that science and testing behind it. :)

You mean the science and testing presented in their commercial? Or all the reports on it from objective sources? Oh wait... :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back