how to get out of a choke hold?

odin87

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been having some trouble getting out of the choke holds where the opponent is in the bottom of you, while your on the top with your body facing up. How can I avoid / escape a choke hold like this?

Do you talk about a guillotine?

im guessing ur playing with ur friendsaahah. anyways first thing is once the the arms is under ur chin, try to get into sidemount position on the ground.

odin87 said:
Hey guys, I've been having some trouble getting out of the choke holds where the opponent is in the bottom of you, while your on the top with your body facing up. How can I avoid / escape a choke hold like this?
you mean your face is up? if so you're probably talking about a rnc, in that case you should tuck your chin in and turn your head into his biceps. but its better to prevent his arm from even getting across your neck so duck your head and keep defending with your own arms. if your hand is inbetween his and your neck, he's gonna have a hard time getting the choke. the best thing is not to give up your back though. :)

if you're talking about the guillotine then yeah like someone above said get into side control and try getting your head out of the lock. the thing i found working well is turning your head so your chin is pressed against their ribs, which hurts them a bit but more importantly gives you a little space to turn your head back as it was and pull it out.

hope the above helps.

I always go for the fingers. Tuck your chin is probably the first thing to do. Then get a hold of the arm across your neck, if you can't pull it away, move to the fingers. Then when you got some space shrimp into them.

i've found what works for me in a rnc is to tuck the chin into the bicep and pull the arm to make more space. once your chin is in and he can only squeeze the jaw, work out of the hooks 1st and then turn leading with your hips. kinda corscrew the body till you turn all the way around. this has worked for me a couple times. maybe i was just a bit stronger.

i got one if he hooks his feet together, but i can't remeber foot position now. gotta come back to this one.

That doesn't sound like an RNC cuz the opponent is on the bottom and hes the one in trouble. Maybe he's talking about the guillotine? If so, post one hand and stand on it. With the other hand pull on his wrist, pull down that is, then go on your feet - the tip toes so basically you are doing a half ass headstand in his headlock as you pull on his wrist. At this point, he wont be able to squeeze your neck worth shit because leverage is on your side.

Also: go train.

The only choke he could be describing is the RNC. Lets move on now.

jamison said:
The only choke he could be describing is the RNC. Lets move on now.

Oh right, didnt read it correctly, I read his opponent was on the bottom and he was getting choked. My advise still applies to the guillotine though.

His opponent is on the bottom but he is facing up so his opponent obviously has his back with hooks in applying a rear naked choke.

RoyceGracieBJJ said:
His opponent is on the bottom but he is facing up so his opponent obviously has his back with hooks in applying a rear naked choke.
it made sense to me too.

looks like you already got your answer in this thread.
we could describe more, but you wouldn't know what we were talking about.

I could say to.... keep your chin tucked and control his choking arm (the one around your neck) and move away from his arm while turning into it, all the while working out of his hooks and then bringing your knee up high to prevent him from mounting you....but I won't say anything.

If he's got the choke sunk in, try and keep ur chin tucked into your neck and while doing that, push up on his elbow. or try biting. j/k

Seriously, if you don't know that the choke he has on you is called an RNC, you really shouldn't be grappling. And I dont say that for any elitist type of reason, but you could really get hurt or really hurt someone trying to do something you really have no clue about. You ever see Jackass or similar shows? The disclaimer "Don't try this at home" is for YOUR protection. The same thing can be said about martial arts. Really, don't try it at home if you don't know what you are doing and have no professional training. Its one thing to wrestle around with your buddies, but its a completely different (and dangerous) thing to throw around choke holds when you are obviously not prepared to defend against it let alone apply it correctly.

TVMT_Hav said:
i got one if he hooks his feet together, but i can't remeber foot position now. gotta come back to this one.

You mean figure four across his ankles, same position as a body triangle?

You mean you're getting caught in the dreaded sleeper hold?

Just try really hard to fight it and when you've done that, counter with a piledriver, Stone Cold Stunner, or if you can do it, the F-5. Keep watching WWE to get more instruction on these.

Also: go train.
Also: listen to people who really do grapple when they say that you need to stop being a fool and trying stuff that you see on TV with your friends. You may hurt someone and then mommy might ground you.

Might as well be a collarchoke from the back.

Depending on the choke, the escape techniques vary alot but a good general advice is to protect yourself at all times and always turn away from the choke.

Back