How to escape the triangle choke: a BJJ tutorial I made

I use the knee pin quite a bit and shut down my gym's best triangle guy. I learned it a couple years back from a traveling black belt. His variation has you hug the knee, pin on the floor, and then get off your knees and into a Hindu push up. The Hindu push up generates tremendous shoulder pressure breaking your partners figure four. Depending on how my partner let's me grab I then pass the guard in either direction, I prefer knee sliding over the already pinned leg.

Hey, that's awesome - kind of full circle. That's exactly the ideal way to escape, defend, and counter - to reverse engineer. I always encourage my students to do exactly that. Seek first to understand fully what it is that you're trying to defeat.
That sounds kind of smart, but I can't admit to that kind of reflection on the subject. I was just intrigued that Hall had a chapter dedicated to a defense which I couldn't find evidence of anywhere else, and it clicked the first time I tried it.

I would probably never get good at it if my posture was any better then, but since I wandered into triangles pretty regularly, I got plenty of practice.
Yeah, I can see that. I am more or less the opposite of explosive.
Implosive?

Good stuff. Is this the same as the "Roger Gracie defense" referenced in Hall's set?

I believe Ryan refers to Roger's step-over escape, which I will also occasionally use.

I use the knee pin quite a bit and shut down my gym's best triangle guy. I learned it a couple years back from a traveling black belt. His variation has you hug the knee, pin on the floor, and then get off your knees and into a Hindu push up. The Hindu push up generates tremendous shoulder pressure breaking your partners figure four. Depending on how my partner let's me grab I then pass the guard in either direction, I prefer knee sliding over the already pinned leg.

This is a great variation of the knee pin, and although my version utilizes rotational motion rather than linear, the end result is much the same.

I always get some good details on your videos.

Do you have any counters to the reverse triangle like when yhou are caught in the triangle and you hug your opponenent's leg then the opponent switches the triangle so now the lock is on the other side. While I don't usually get caught in the choke, it feels like my neck is going to pop off my body. hurts like hell.

Thanks! I hadn't seen that article before. Very nice.

I had also reverse engineered from Ryan's DVD and this article and have had pretty good success but your video helped connect the dots. Thanks again.

I had also reverse engineered from Ryan's DVD and this article and have had pretty good success but your video helped connect the dots. Thanks again.

Awesome! Really glad I could help.

This is a "late stage" triangle escape sequence I really like to use, centering on two main techniques. Check it out and let me know what you think:

http://revolutionbjj.hubpages.com/hub/Escaping-the-Triangle-Choke-a-BJJ-Tutorial

Worked the elbow escape today and two of our guys had counters - if you can advise that'd be great, but obviously no obligation to do so. Basically, with elbow down and beginning to back out and break the ankles, the person with the triangle arches, hips up, and rolls to a mounted triangle. I couldn't come up with a preventative solution, though to be fair we didn't spend too much time on it.

The escape absolutely DID work against guys who were unfamiliar, though :)

Worked the elbow escape today and two of our guys had counters - if you can advise that'd be great, but obviously no obligation to do so. Basically, with elbow down and beginning to back out and break the ankles, the person with the triangle arches, hips up, and rolls to a mounted triangle. I couldn't come up with a preventative solution, though to be fair we didn't spend too much time on it.

The escape absolutely DID work against guys who were unfamiliar, though :)

You've definitely got to walk your knees (and hips) as you start to walk your elbow to the side. If not, they will have an easy sweep!

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I always get some good details on your videos.

Do you have any counters to the reverse triangle like when yhou are caught in the triangle and you hug your opponenent's leg then the opponent switches the triangle so now the lock is on the other side. While I don't usually get caught in the choke, it feels like my neck is going to pop off my body. hurts like hell.

Ah, reversing the triangle leg positioning is a really tough one. You're not in imminent danger of the choke (unless the guy angles his legs out - I'm going to do a tutorial that includes that technique as well), but it's still awful, and your arms are in danger for sure. You can always go for the stepover escape, but that does require some flexibility.

Maybe some of the wormier/more advanced guys can contribute their thoughts?

Back