how to escape the De La riva Guard

m3

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Couldnt find anything in the searches thanks to "de" and "la" words.
Anyways as said in http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=722419&highlight=riva
there are many sweeps from De la riva against the standing person.
How do you get out from de la riva guard? both if he has the grips on your sleeves and if he doesnt.
It seems that if I try to just pull his hand up from my foot it would take so much time so that he would be able to sweep me while I yank on his arm.

This is the way I do it. May not be the best, but it does work.

First try to keep your far arm free. That way you can control the foot on your hip. If that arm is free then take the foot off your hip and push it between your legs and sit down into combat base. Then start your guard pass. Also keep the leg that has the hook in turned to the outside. This helps limit their control of that leg.

Also you can pull the foot on your hip up and hip in and push that leg over and work the pass.

If he has both arms then you need to free one quickly or you are going to get swept.

I like to spin/pivot backwards quickly on the foot that he is controlling so that your back is almost facing him. It will negate his hook and give you a second to get it out, then you can grab his pant leg and work on a guard pass. But don't hang out there for long or he will try to control you from behind.

This guard in my opinion is useless unless it’s GI jiu-jitsu

This is really the only 'open' guard I can pass with any consistency...like the guy above said I try to clear the foot on hip and sit down into 'combat base' as soon as I find I am in DLR

From there I grab their lapel midway down the gi with my near arm (being controlled), but not over extending the arm.

Then I stand up and pull them into me which kills their DLR hook, but keep my front knee bent and in their chest to stop them coming up for a single leg.

From there, either do a knee slide (aka near side?) pass. or reach behind their back with the near arm, grab some gi / belt and step the far leg backwards (controlling their non-hooking leg) - then it is kind of like a far side knee pass, I don't know the proper name for it.

The most common De La Riva passes/counters that I've seen or use:

1) Heel hook-esque escape: Just like how you escape the heel hook. You turn your back to the guy and jerk your leg away from his control.

2) Sit down into half-guard: Carefully and quickly turn your back to the guy and sit down inside his half-guard (establishing a cross-face) on the same side as his DLR hook. If he gets control of your "free leg" while you're doing this then you're toast. Actually, if the guy playing DLR guard ever grabs a hold of your free leg in any way, shape or form then you're toast.

3) Standing pass: Remove his other leg from hip. Press it down to the ground and proceed with passing.

4) Ankle lock his non-DLR hook leg: Turn towards this leg. Grab a hold of the foot for the ankle lock. Roll forward while triangling your legs around his DLR hook. You wind up in a great position where you can finish the ankle lock at your leisure.

Personally, I don't like to sit back down in someone's DLR guard. If the guy knows how to play DLR well then it's actually easier for him to sweep you from there.

I like to prevent the outside hook by turning my knee out, or by sitting tight when I'm in combat base. People who leave space between their shin and thigh in combat base are just beggin' for the DLR.

I like to spin/pivot backwards quickly on the foot that he is controlling so that your back is almost facing him. It will negate his hook and give you a second to get it out, then you can grab his pant leg and work on a guard pass. But don't hang out there for long or he will try to control you from behind.

My instructor has a very good DLR guard. I was rolling with him the other day and went to the DLR guard against him. He went right for the spin pass.

The next time we were in the same position, I waited for the spin pass. As soon as he turned his back, I unhooked the DLR and started to insert the other hook in its place (the move that sets up the back-take). He switched out of the spin, but moved too quickly for me to reinsert the DLR hook and passed into half guard.

Do you mean spin back to this position:
hajiiaabg.jpg

Do you mean spin back to this position:
hajiiaabg.jpg

Kinda. If you want to drop all the way down like that into his half guard and then pass there's nothing wrong with that. In the pic, if Marcelo stands up from there with his back toward his opponent, who has untriangled his legs, that's kind of the position you are in when you spin backwards out of the DLR guard.

To think of it simply: you're basically turning backwards out of the DLR until you are standing with you back to the guy and one of his legs are now in between yours. By turning backwards, his hook doesn't have anything to hook anymore. But doing that leaves you vulnerable to be attacked from behind, so you need to act quickly. I like to just grab the pant leg of the old hooking leg that's now just hanging out between mine, push it down and turn back toward him. Now you're facing him again and have a good grip on one of his pant legs to help you pass.

You can't pass the DLR guard. It is impossible or impassible in this case. DLR guard is jiu jitsu magic. Sorry, but any attempts to pass will be futile.

to kill that DLR hook I turn my knee out to a 45 degree angle. you will find that its very hard to get the hook back in

to kill that DLR hook I turn my knee out to a 45 degree angle. you will find that its very hard to get the hook back in

That's what I do too. Keep that hook out, rather than trying to escape it once it's in.

99% of jiu jitsu is like that -- an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

The hook really isn't the bad part of the DLR guard. The ankle grab and the other non-hooking leg are the important points to attack, IMHO.

To attack the ankle grab, turn your foot 90 degrees out. This weakens his grip. Then you can rip your ankle free.

To attack his non-hooking leg, just pull up or push down depending on his pressure. When pulling up, make sure to hip in all the way. When pushing down, make sure to pin it at the ground. When pushing down, you can then go for a kimura if he held your foot. You won't finish in half guard, but you can save it and finish later (and use it to help pass).

Back