how to escape judo pins?

esotamoc

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been posted before. how do u escape from judo pins? and how do u do it in 10 seconds? i have done bjj for a very short time and do not have the opportunity to do it where i am located now. during my first class a few days ago(judo) we were working on ground technique and this one guy kept passing my guard and pinning me in side control. what are some ways to escape to gain a good position?
thanks for your input.

There are many ways to escape while at the bottom but the most important is moving your hips. Moving your Hips out will creat alot of space.

It's hard. If the guy's intention is to just hold you down and he knows what he's doing you're usually effed if he manages to sink it in. Try to escape before he manages to get a good grip and just keep moving, but if you make three or four good attempts of escaping without succeeding, you're probably stuck.

Learn the uphill turn escape, If you haven't yet you will soon enough if you are starting judo.

You can try go to his back by turning into him, pushing your ass out, hooking the inside of his posted up leg's thigh with your foot, move the arm he's keeping at his waist up to grab around the back of his neck, push under his elbow so the arm around your back passes over your head, now push your ass out some more and go for his back.

You can also try grabbing around their waist, sitting up and when they try force you back down, bridge over your shoulder and turn your hips so you end up in side control with a waistlock.

thanks for the advice. these guys are very quick to pass and i have trouble keeping them in my guard.admittedly, my bjj skills are very limited but i still approach the ground game from a bjj perspective. thats why i was supprised when i was pinned in scarfhold/kesagatame(i think) and the guy was just happy to keep me there which was v frustrating. maybe next time i should try to sweep while he is attempting to pass?

just train man, from the sound of things you arent too advanced. im not hating, everyone starts somewhere. just go train, learning moves from scratch on the internet is almost pointless. these are really basic things that im sure you'll learn soon.

colinm said:
just train man, from the sound of things you arent too advanced. im not hating, everyone starts somewhere. just go train, learning moves from scratch on the internet is almost pointless. these are really basic things that im sure you'll learn soon.

hey, you're right i will train every opportunity i get. but unfortunatley i have more time training my fingers on the keyboard then i do on the mat.plus the instruction is in a language i dont understand. so i dont want to get stuck in the same position again and again. i know by practicing is the best way to learn and i dont expect to learn moves from scratch over the internet but a few pointers like moving my hips or turning towards my opponent might give me something to work on- dont you think?

yes i agree, this forum is very valuable for remembering details of moves.

Train to escape, by letting somebady weaker on the ground than you pin you like that guy does, and then fight your way out of it.
The "shrimp" method of hip movement is your best friend.

Putting your shin between him and you is a good tactic to use, never let the shin get forced down if you can help it, cuz so many people are on to this tactic, but it still works good, be persistent, be relentless.
Put him in half guard, and the pin is considered broken, " Suro-mate".

from kesa you can try to bridge him back but if he has ahold of his lef this can become tire some.
firs things first i would try to scoot as close to his body as possible (where is legs are) then bridge back the oppsite way to turn hi. If you get him over then cross face and bam armbar.

DO NOT let him control the arm tight, if you do your pretty much stuck if it is a good judo guy.... That why it is a PIN.
If you cant bridge him get the arm free and cross face him from where you at, push his head far enough away to get your legs around it... once you get your legs around continue to push down till you can let go and get to your knees. Once on your knees... cross face... armbar.

Bridge, Bridge, Bridge, Shrimp.

Everytime I find myself in an unwanted position with someone attempting to pin me, a quick, powerful bridge usually does the trick.

If that doesn't work, shrimp.

question for you judo guys: does a pin just mean keeping your opponent on his back and staying out of his guard/halfguard? or is it like highschool/collegiate wrestling where his shoulders need to be on the ground? could i "pin" someone witha knee on belly or mount?

colinm said:
question for you judo guys: does a pin just mean keeping your opponent on his back and staying out of his guard/halfguard? or is it like highschool/collegiate wrestling where his shoulders need to be on the ground? could i "pin" someone witha knee on belly or mount?
knee on belly and mount are not pins

and yes, if they have a leg or in half guard it is not a hold down.

as for the pin, they have to be on their back. Not necessarly with the shoulders down. But just held down.

i'm guessing that guy is getting kesa gatame on you. Just make sure he doesnt get control of your arm and you are fine. One mentioned cross facing. Which is illegal in judo. Instead put your forearm in their neck and get your legs around their head. Pull them back and armbar them.

one they get that arm though, you are in trouble

colinm said:
A pin is ansy allowed holdown described in the Kodakan Judo system.

They are, but are not limited to in case I forget one:

Kesa-gatame: scarf hold, from side control, I control one arm of opponent, and his head, I'm leaning on him with my back pressed against his side.

Yoko-Shiho Gatame: Upper Four corners hold, the north/south position.

Tate-Shiho Gatame: The Full mount, usually lying on his face and controlling the head rather than bull-riding.

Side mount: (forgot name in ***.!) pretty self-explanatory.

Knee on belly isn't an allowed hold-down, Judo frowns on it. More's the pity. You might get away with doing it, but if you don't tranbsition fast to something else they'll stand you up.

A Judo pin must be a Kodokan Judo recognized pinning technique, many wrestling pins are not legal judo pins. They can be used for positioning & such, but do not qualify as a "pin" on your opponent.

Judo pins are extremely difficult to get out of if they are done correctly by someone with skill, probably as effective as a submission once the pin is on.

Resident A-hole said:
Judo pins are extremely difficult to get out of if they are done correctly by someone with skill, probably as effective as a submission once the pin is on.
Probably, except I've never seen somones elbow get broken from pinning them, likewise, unless a chubby guy pins your face with his jelly-rolls, you can still remmain concious. Pins are the ways cheap big men in my club keep me from tapping them out.

as far as I know knee mount is a legal pin, but may not count as one in a contest.

Back