• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How to Design a Diet

Ok I have to ask since you make since. If a person is 125lbs. but wants to be 140/150lbs and they are about to start a workout that burns 3,230 a day from training and consume 3000 calories a day. Will they be able to achieve that weight/Goal of 140-150lbs.? Yes or no and please explain.

I know Im not Pathogenic...but I think this answer is in the OP. If you are burning more calories than you are taking in, you will not gain muscle mass unless you already have a high bf %. Your body will not invest its energy in growing muscle bigger if you are on a deficit simply because building muscle is metabolically expensive. You can still get stronger through neuro-muscular adaptation, but you will probably not gain much mass. You are going to have to eat a lot more if you are burning that many calories, go to the OP and follow the steps to getting your rough estimate.

I know Im not Pathogenic...but I think this answer is in the OP. If you are burning more calories than you are taking in, you will not gain muscle mass unless you already have a high bf %. Your body will not invest its energy in growing muscle bigger if you are on a deficit simply because building muscle is metabolically expensive. You can still get stronger through neuro-muscular adaptation, but you will probably not gain much mass. You are going to have to eat a lot more if you are burning that many calories, go to the OP and follow the steps to getting your rough estimate.

I agree with this, except for the statement about the possibility of gaining mass if you're fat. Being fat actually makes it more difficult to gain mass because the hormone profile is less favorable.

Other than that, you're absolutely right.

I agree with this, except for the statement about the possibility of gaining mass if you're fat. Being fat actually makes it more difficult to gain mass because the hormone profile is less favorable.

Pathogenic...random question, how old are you?

23. With my health the way it is, I may as well be 60, though.

How are you unhealthy? I am unhealthy because I am almost 100 pounds overweight...you don't seem to have this problem though.

How are you unhealthy? I am unhealthy because I am almost 100 pounds overweight...you don't seem to have this problem though.

I have ankylosing spondylitis, torn ligaments in my shoulder keeping me from the sports I love, and now they're worried about neuropathy and possibly even MS. I'm in rough shape, my friend. That's why I haven't been on here much. I've been spending most of my time sulking and being generally depressed. Plus my hands have been falling asleep a lot, which scares the shit out of me when I'm typing.

I do everything right. I'm around 12% body fat, I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, I sleep well, I eat well, and I have an amazing and perfect life otherwise, but my health is constantly dragging me down. It's sort of like winning the lottery, and then getting kneecapped and having most of your money stolen.

I do everything right.

We'll see about that...

I'm around 12% body fat,

Nice

I don't drink,

Doing it wrong

I don't smoke,

Doing it wrong

I don't do drugs,

DOING IT VERY WRONG

I sleep well, I eat well

When I was your age, I ate whatever the fuck I wanted and slept...sometimes...maybe! Doing it wrong.

and I have an amazing and perfect life otherwise, but my health is constantly dragging me down. It's sort of like winning the lottery, and then getting kneecapped and having most of your money stolen.

Ok, all sarcasm aside sorry to hear about the shoulder, and knee, and inflammation. If only there was some magical plant...that could cheer you up, ease inflammation and pain, and helps alleviate neurological disorders...

I have ankylosing spondylitis, torn ligaments in my shoulder keeping me from the sports I love, and now they're worried about neuropathy and possibly even MS. I'm in rough shape, my friend. That's why I haven't been on here much. I've been spending most of my time sulking and being generally depressed. Plus my hands have been falling asleep a lot, which scares the shit out of me when I'm typing.

I do everything right. I'm around 12% body fat, I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, I sleep well, I eat well, and I have an amazing and perfect life otherwise, but my health is constantly dragging me down. It's sort of like winning the lottery, and then getting kneecapped and having most of your money stolen.

Damn, sounds pretty shitty. Sorry to hear that.

Thanks Pathogenic for this awesome thread! So i have a problem with weight loss. My weight is 79kg, i have a fat belly that i really want to lose, i calculated my maintenance calories ~2500 cals. Im eating ~2000cals a day, but i still gained 1kg of weight through the last week. I dont know how, but every morning i measure my weight, and this week every morning my weight was higher and higher. Today i measured my weight - 80kg!

ohh, I see. I guess I should have been a little more careful with the wording there. I know its possible if you are new to lifting, but you are right after that it makes it tougher.

Im sorry to hear about how ridiculous life has been to your body :( I really hope something can be done about it, especially since you are only 23

Just incase anyone is interested I did some analysis today on how macros fit into Carb Backloading by John Kiefer and it's quite enlightening.

Carb Backloading works by getting you into ketosis then having timed carb refeeds after lifting to get the hormonal benefits of insulin spikes and so forth. The literature and forum suggests you eat between 1-2g/lb of carbs on your backloads. So I did some math on myself:

Target BW 200lbs
Train 6 days per week, 3 lifting sessions using Juggernaut method, 5 grappling sessions totalling 7 hours per week. I used a multiplier of 13.5, putting me between fairly active and very active(conservative? you tell me). This results in a maintenance rate of 2700cals per day. Knock 500 off that's 2200 for fat loss. Times 7 and my weekly total is 15400 cals.

200g protein per day is 800 cals. 1g/lb
100g fat per day is 900 cals. 0.5g/lb
30g carbs on rest days is 120cals.
Non-lifting day cals = 1820 cals

So times this by 7 for your baseline calories per week - 12,740.
15,400-12,740 leaves you with 2660cals for carb refeeds.
Divide by 4 for macro number = 665g
Divide by number of lifting days(in my case 3) = 221g carbs per refeed/backload.

Which is exactly within the range suggested, albeit the lower end. So this shows how carb backloading works on a macro level. If you ate carbs every day at 2200 goal calories you'd only be eating about 125g. This is very low in my experience as you get trace carbs in low-carb foods.

This same principle also applies to other carb cycling diets like IF and the Anabolic diet. As you study the science you start to realise how all these eating methods are just different variations on calorie maniupulation. However the hormonal differences between diets are where their "selling points" are, when you eat your carbs will have an effect for sure. It's just a matter of finding what suits you.

@obscure terror- Nice math work to prove it buddy. I've always been saying that weight loss is a simple matter of calories in vs. calories out. The different diets (atkins, low carb, paleo, IF, macro counting, ect.) are just methods to make eating at a caloric deficit suck less.

Thanks, guys. So far, they believe MS is very unlikely because my brain and cervical spine MRI's both came back negative. They did, however, find that I have chronic migraines. They put me on Topamax, which has caused me to both lose weight (not so bad), and have the short-term memory of a puppy (not so good). I suppose it's better than crippling nausea, though.

Now all that's left is figuring out what's causing this incredibly painful and annoying neuropathy...

Thanks, guys. So far, they believe MS is very unlikely because my brain and cervical spine MRI's both came back negative. They did, however, find that I have chronic migraines. They put me on Topamax, which has caused me to both lose weight (not so bad), and have the short-term memory of a puppy (not so good). I suppose it's better than crippling nausea, though.

Now all that's left is figuring out what's causing this incredibly painful and annoying neuropathy...

Damn dude...

Activity Level Protein Requirements (g/lb of Lean Body Mass)
None: .75
Aerobics Exclusively: .75
Lifters: 1-1.5

First of all, this really, really should be thrown in with the stickies already.

Secondly, Path, you got studies to back up these protein amounts? Could really use some good science on this aspect right now.

What the fuuu...? Get better, man. We need you around here.

Shit dude :icon_cry2

I hope you get this stuff figured out and controlled. Take care.

Sorry to hear you are struggling Path.

My wife actually had very similar symptoms, they also worked to rule out MS first. She ended up with a great physical therapist for about 4 weeks and the nueropathy in her hands stopped and the strength in her arms and hands returned. The only other variable was I had her stop taking supplemental collagen, because the doctor's were looking at Scleroderma as well.
The PT worked on her neck a great deal and I think it was related to nerves in the spine. It was a bad 3 -4 months but she is back to deadlifting 225.
Hopefully you get some relief.

Back