How to deal with headquarters then the backstep--help required

ITRDC5

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm predominately a butterfly guard player but been having a lot of problems recently with people standing up getting to HQ and then back stepping to reverse scarf and then passing my guard.

Mainly my opponent will lead with one leg forward- shin facing me and get between my legs

Does anyone have any advise on how to deal with an opponent when they get to HQ or dealing with the backstep.

Its kinda ironic for me, as for me as a top player I absolutely love being in HQ then using a combination of knee cut/smash or the backstep. Its interesting to see how effective it is from being on bottom.

I usually have no problems if my opponent is square on but the minute they step in and lead with one leg I have problems.

Many thanks

Check out guys who play reverse half guard or near leg deep half guard. Most common pathways involve using a crab ride hook to manipulate the opponent's hips, for either coming up onto a single into a leg drag, or attacking the back with a waist lock miyao style, or one or the other as a combo attack.

A few examples of what i mean:

Last edited:
i love when guys try to backstep from there lots of sweeps or even just coming up with a single but you gotta be fast

I have to agree with what the two posters above said, going to shin to shin when you notice your opponent trying to plant his foot in between your legs is a good way to save yourself a tremendous headahce lol.

Simply because once your opponent gets his lead foot in between your legs he has SOOOOOooooooooo many options from there. Knee slice and back step are there and much like you they are my bread and butter too lol but a guy from my gym begins his float pass series from that position and he is an absolute headache to deal with once he gets there lol. So i would deff recommend shin to shin as a preventative measure and then using shin to shin to get into single leg X.

i love when guys try to backstep from there lots of sweeps or even just coming up with a single but you gotta be fast
I tried the single but he stuffed my head pretty quick and got to side after the scarf control . What kind of sweeps bud ?

I have to agree with what the two posters above said, going to shin to shin when you notice your opponent trying to plant his foot in between your legs is a good way to save yourself a tremendous headahce lol.

Simply because once your opponent gets his lead foot in between your legs he has SOOOOOooooooooo many options from there. Knee slice and back step are there and much like you they are my bread and butter too lol but a guy from my gym begins his float pass series from that position and he is an absolute headache to deal with once he gets there lol. So i would deff recommend shin to shin as a preventative measure and then using shin to shin to get into single leg X.

Yeah lots of confirmation on shin on shin it's not a guard that I have a lot of experience with but I shall start looking . It's funny because I love putting my leg between my opponents for when I pass in fact it is my game -i either X pass or backstep/kneeslide etc .

I tried the single but he stuffed my head pretty quick and got to side after the scarf control . What kind of sweeps bud ?
i suck at explaining things lol depending on my legs and where he is depends what i do but i do not worry about it u gotta really have good hips though and get on your side

Yeah lots of confirmation on shin on shin it's not a guard that I have a lot of experience with but I shall start looking . It's funny because I love putting my leg between my opponents for when I pass in fact it is my game -i either X pass or backstep/kneeslide etc .

Lol we must be twins or something man, cause your passing game sounds ALOT like mine!

Lol we must be twins or something man, cause your passing game sounds ALOT like mine!

Yeah I watched a lavato video on it years ago and the single leg on between mine or headquarters some call it . Really simplified things for me , before then I was doing all kinds of bullfighter and messy passing . It's a great system to work with .

I'm going to try and work some of this floating /Gordon Ryan style passing from HQ , I'd never seen that before and looks like it would suit me as I have a good base and always have an active post .

Yeah I watched a lavato video on it years ago and the single leg on between mine or headquarters some call it . Really simplified things for me , before then I was doing all kinds of bullfighter and messy passing . It's a great system to work with .

I'm going to try and work some of this floating /Gordon Ryan style passing from HQ , I'd never seen that before and looks like it would suit me as I have a good base and always have an active post .
Hq- knee cut- back step to saddle or back step to kimura grip back take

Hq- knee cut- back step to saddle or back step to kimura grip back take

In recent times (such as his performance in kinektic) Gordon's passing strategy seems to basically revolve around climbing up towards the other guy's head, 'forcing' deep half in the first place, just so he can attack that double-wristlock.

Different poster but there are a lot of ways into (and out of) that situation

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonSable
Back