How to deal with a loss

ozyabbas

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I had my first tournament on Sunday, I lost twice, once in gi and the other in no gi. I wasn't too pissed off about the first one because the guy was from my club, he usually outperforms me and others in class and he won fair and square. I didn't impose my game as I planned to but I know what to do next time.

The next match was in no gi, I hadn't really thought of a game plan because I only decided on doing it a few days before the match and had only done no gi training twice in the last 8 months. I was in (rubber guard) and closed guard and had many submission attempts which he powered out from (mainly due to the sweat). I opened my guard to try something new towards the end. He tried to guard passes which were no where near close to passing. Then it finished and the judges awarded to the other guy, saying that he was more aggressive. Although we both didn't win any points, I still thought I was the most aggressive guy. He then gets a lame victory on someone else without even having attempted anything. Just standing for 6 minutes with only defending an armdrag as the only thing he did.

I feel really burnt out now, im not sure to get back to the gym now or give it a week or so.

how did you end up on the ground, did anyone get takedown points, or did you pull guard?... i have lost in similar fashion in the gi, the guy went for a takedown and i sprawled but he got an advantage point for the near takedown, then i pulled guard and tried to submit him for the full time limit, with him defending the whole time.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wSmV3amo2mk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wSmV3amo2mk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I only had one tournament (no gi) and im new as well (1.5-2months) and id suggest you rest if it feels like your body needs rest and if you feel upto training then train. Same as usual. As for emotionally you dont seem to beat up, just be proud of the fact that you went out and did it and hopefully performed your best. If you keep learning and working your only going to get better.

Good luck

how did you end up on the ground, did anyone get takedown points, or did you pull guard?... i have lost in similar fashion in the gi, the guy went for a takedown and i sprawled but he got an advantage point for the near takedown, then i pulled guard and tried to submit him for the full time limit, with him defending the whole time.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wSmV3amo2mk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wSmV3amo2mk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Someone from my team told me he was a judo guy so I literally ran and jumped into guard. Pulling on his head to break his posture down so I could go for a high guard. I almost knocked him down just from the running jump. I asked the judges beforehand if I get a penalty or anything like that and they said it would be fine.

He literally did not mount any kind of attack on me at all. The only thing I could give him props for is that he defended the submission attempts well.

Under the rules we were fighting (adcc) there were no advantage points but he wouldn't of had any advantages anyway.

Perhaps it was because the judges were from the large mma organisation and they would probably normally consider the guard just a defensive position. Well thats my theory anyway.

There was another great injustice, a friend of mine brought his students to the tournament. One of his students got the other guy in the electric chair but the judge stopped it saying the guy needs to rearrange his contact lenses. They restarted it from standing again. I believe that the judge probably didn't even know what the electric chair was and how close the guy was from being submitted.

Just brush it off bro. In any sport you have the possibility of getting bad decisions from the officals. Losing isnt bad at all. You learned a lot more from losing then you would have from winning. It sucks the judges were bad but its no big deal. Hope my words helped on a different level.

Are you missing something? He took you down at 50 seconds, that wasn't a guard pull.

Are you missing something? He took you down at 50 seconds, that wasn't a guard pull.

doesn't consider a take down when he can't maintain control for at least 3 seconds. He will get an advantage but no points.

Considering he ended up getting to side control and was there for a few seconds (doesn't matter if you guys are going in a circle or not, he had side control), i could definitely see him at least getting an advantage for that. If I were you I'd be pissed about the restart at the end when you get the guy 1 arm in 1 arm out! WTF?! Why the restart? You probably would've triangled him there.

To the threadstarter; get back in the gym and start training. going 0-2 should motivate you to get back at it ASAP, not take a break.

you need an attitude adjustment dude. moping doesn't make you a better athlete. work harder.

if you compete you will end up losing, especially because it sounds like your new, dont be a baby.

Hey...don't sweat it. Walk it off. Rub some dirt on it. Get back in the gym. You win some, you lose some. Every dog has his day.

Enough sayings for ya? Point is....you have to snap yourself out of this. It isn't a big deal, but you are the only one who can make you keep training and get back in there and learn from your experiences.

Funny note: we had a purple belt last year who lost his no-gi match, then lost his gi match. Well, apparently there was some sand-bagging and a couple guys who didn't make weight down the line, so our guy ended up tied for first. Sometimes....thing just happen. Don't take it that seriously at this point.

Here is what I do:

Curse
Swear
Claim it was a work
vow vengance
shake his hand
Smile
Hit the gym harder
try harder next time
Avenge the loss

Some times I kick things. I hate to lose but it normally only lasts about 30 seconds then my irish temper dies down.:icon_chee Seriously, in those cases you just have to let it slide. Any time you leave it to the judges opinion, you are at fault for not dominating. I once lost a silver medal match at the provinical championships in judo because the judge wanted to go home. I got hit with a tomoe nage but cartwheel out of it to land on my knees on top in North/south. They called it an ippon. I was pretty furious. There was no way that was an Ippon but the bottom line was I let him throw me. If he didn't throw me, there would have been no arguement.

go out get drunk, hire a hooker and after your debaucherous pity party resume training. Doesn't sound like it was that embarrassing of a performance so I wouldn't get too down about it.

I'm not a huge fan of BJJ tournaments anymore because of the wrestlers who will get a takedown and turtle for 5 minutes and win by a point or two. I train for MMA anyway but im glad I did the tournaments I did as a white belt. It really helped me learn what it was all about and how to combat nervousness.

I'm not a huge fan of BJJ tournaments anymore because of the wrestlers who will get a takedown and turtle for 5 minutes and win by a point or two. I train for MMA anyway but im glad I did the tournaments I did as a white belt. It really helped me learn what it was all about and how to combat nervousness.

:icon_cry2

just get yourself into another tourny as fast as possible..

waht is an elctric chair?

Some quotes

If there is effort, there is always accomplishment.

The man who is at the peak of his success, and the man who have just failed are in exactly the same position. Each must decide what he will do next.

Back