How to count how long you've been training?

Cardio

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
If you're telling someone how long you've been training, I'm wondering:

How are you supposed to count/calculate how long (weeks, months, years)

For example do you add up days, 3 days a week count as a week, start counting from the day you took your first class (not accurate b/c that would mean sombody who took 4 classes over 1 year has been training for a year!)

-----------------------------
For example... I took about 16 BJJ classes in the past 8 months, no way would I say that I've been training for 8 months. Should I say about two weeks?

Now why would you wonder about these things? Just say when you started and if you've been away for longer periods.

Bring a stopwatch to class and count only those seconds that you are physically on the premises of your school's property (two feet inbounds at all times). Be sure to account for the "leap second" if necessary. You may need a calculator once you get above several thousands of seconds.

Record that as the amount of time you've been training.
Be particularly suspicious of those sly people who look at other things like belt rank, performance in competition, and overall skills during class.

Just say how long you have been doing it, and if you took time off, just say, "on and off" for 5 years.

I have been grappling on and off for 15 years, but I did take 3 years off during my college years

DMcKayBJJ said:
Bring a stopwatch to class and count only those seconds that you are physically on the premises of your school's property (two feet inbounds at all times). Be sure to account for the "leap second" if necessary. You may need a calculator once you get above several thousands of seconds.

Record that as the amount of time you've been training.

This guy's just trying to appear that he's trained longer than he has. You only count the seconds actually training. Drink breaks, etc, should be deducted.

when someone asks how long you have been grappling, just start screaming in their face "are you questioning my manhood, i'll kick your ass and show you how long i've been grappling, bitch.".

Just go by the months. For instance, I have been attending 4 classes a week for 6 months. I have been training consistently for 6 months.

It really doesn't matter. Just show how good you are on the mat and have a good attitude.

ClubberLange said:
This guy's just trying to appear that he's trained longer than he has. You only count the seconds actually training. Drink breaks, etc, should be deducted.

I believe you're mistaken. You must be thinking of Australian Rules BJJ.
In the USA, the seconds you spend on drink breaks (as long as they are done on the premises of your school) count.

Just remember to make the appropriate conversion when you cross the equator AND the International Date Line.

ClubberLange said:

Does that mean i also can't count the time i take talking to the guys i train with?

EPT said:
Does that mean i also can't count the time i take talking to the guys i train with?
nope, or the time walking between partners, or sipping drinks, or watching the fight vid playing in the background, or time between tapping and rolling again. It's all sandbagging

Back