How tight should my mouthguard fit?

mmagic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have some kind of $20-30 shockdoctor boil-and-bite mouthguard I picked up at Dick's Sporting goods. My question is how tightly I should bite into it when I am forming it.

There are two main layers, the softer layer that moves around when you bite into it after boiling, and a harder layer.

I notice if I bite solidly that a lot of the lower layer is showing, which makes me think that I might be biting too hard. However, after I recently reshaped it, biting less hard, I also noticed that I have to use my lower teeth somewhat to keep the mouth guard to stay in consistently, which doesn't seem very good either.

Is the mouth guard supposed to always stay in, without assistance from the lower teeth? Should the lower layer of the plastic be showing, or is the upper layer merely for getting a good tight mold rather than providing support? Answers from mouthguard experts would be particularly appareciated.

The lower (clearish) layer shouldn't be showing through the whole inside of the mouthguard but where the very points of your teeth meet there may be some of the base layer showing, which isn't a problem. You should be able to talk (or at least open your mouth) without your mouthguard coming loose. You may have to redo it a few times. I did mine twice and it fits perfect for light sparring and whatnot. If you're sparring you still need to bite down so your lower jaw doesn't get pushed back as far as it would if your mouth was open. Hope that helped. If you're going to fight, I'd suggest getting a custom mouthguard, there are lots of people who have custom mouthguards from a few different companies and can let you know whats up about em.

I'm not sure which shock dr. you have but the "soft' area of the mouth guard is the area covering your teeth and gums, this is for protection, the hard plastic between your teeth is to stop you from bitting through the guard. The hard area in this guard is only needed because of the lack of thickness. It is recommended in all cases that the thickness of a mouthguard be 4mm. If you have the ability measure the guard even at the thickest point and you will find it much thinner than 4mm. A good quality mouthguard will always stay in place without pressure from the lowers to hold it there. It is thickness and fti that makes custom mouthguards so much better than even the best boil and bites.

icedog11 said:
I'm not sure which shock dr. you have but the "soft' area of the mouth guard is the area covering your teeth and gums, this is for protection, the hard plastic between your teeth is to stop you from bitting through the guard. The hard area in this guard is only needed because of the lack of thickness. It is recommended in all cases that the thickness of a mouthguard be 4mm. If you have the ability measure the guard even at the thickest point and you will find it much thinner than 4mm. A good quality mouthguard will always stay in place without pressure from the lowers to hold it there. It is thickness and fti that makes custom mouthguards so much better than even the best boil and bites.
That's very accurate information. Great job John!!

What about people whose teeth orientation changes? Im getting invisalign to straighten my teeth out.

icedog11 said:

Sounds like the Shock Doctor Gel Max. It has the typical hard rubber tray that's filled with their "gel" material. According to the manufacturer you can bite down all the way into the hard rubber part. The gel material is supposed to hug your teeth so the guard doesn't fall out when you open your mouth. As far as boil and bites go it's one of the better ones out there but still far behind a custom fitted mouthguard. I got the Gel Max for $10USD and it doesn't really form a good bond with your teeth, you can dislodge it with your tongue. Also spit tends to get trapped in it so when you pull it out you drool all over the place and talking is impossible with it in since it doesn't stay in place. Also because it has the hard plastic tray bottom it doesn't bend to your dental arch and as a result mine sticks out in the front and rubs against the upper lip. Needless to say I don't use it but any mouthgaurd protection is better than none.

gungfudisciple said:
What about people whose teeth orientation changes? Im getting invisalign to straighten my teeth out.
If you are getting invisoline and want a mouthguard your options are kind of limited. If your teeth are being moved then a custom made guard isn't going to work out too well for you. The orientation of the teeth inside your guard will be fixed to the original impression.

A custom guard can't be reboiled to fit the movement of your teeth like a boil and bite can. So you may have to wait for the better guard until your invisoline treatment is finished.

perfy said:
Sounds like the Shock Doctor Gel Max. It has the typical hard rubber tray that's filled with their "gel" material. According to the manufacturer you can bite down all the way into the hard rubber part. The gel material is supposed to hug your teeth so the guard doesn't fall out when you open your mouth. As far as boil and bites go it's one of the better ones out there but still far behind a custom fitted mouthguard. I got the Gel Max for $10USD and it doesn't really form a good bond with your teeth, you can dislodge it with your tongue. Also spit tends to get trapped in it so when you pull it out you drool all over the place and talking is impossible with it in since it doesn't stay in place. Also because it has the hard plastic tray bottom it doesn't bend to your dental arch and as a result mine sticks out in the front and rubs against the upper lip. Needless to say I don't use it but any mouthgaurd protection is better than none.
Very true. Some protection is better than none but if you have a choice go with the best protection available. There are reasons why stock and boil and bites are not recommended by dentists.

perfy said:
Sounds like the Shock Doctor Gel Max. It has the typical hard rubber tray that's filled with their "gel" material. According to the manufacturer you can bite down all the way into the hard rubber part. The gel material is supposed to hug your teeth so the guard doesn't fall out when you open your mouth.

perfy, where did you learn this from the manufacturer? Could some of the dissenting earlier posts comment on this?

You can email or call the manufacturer. I wouldn't recommend the latter as you'll be put on hold and bounced around for what seems like an eternity. But that was what they told me was the proper way to make hte impression.

No need to repeat your work. Thanks for the input bud.

Back