How the fudge does this reebok deal work?

beefcake180

Aces Wild
@Silver
Reaction score
I thought everyone was sponsored by Reebok now. Why are they announcing individuals signing on?

Legitimately confused.

Uniforms go into affect later in 2015(July I think).

Some people get special deals earlier for specialty clothing lines is my guess. (Like McGregor)

Uniforms go into affect later in 2015(July I think).

Some people get special deals earlier for specialty clothing lines is my guess. (Like McGregor)

I think you're probably mostly right. Plus those fighters will be the "faces" of the deal, and will do extra advertising, etc. In addition, I'd imagine you'll only see those fighters (Jones, Ronda, Conor) wearing Reebok stuff all the time, whereas the other fighters could still theoretically have other sponsors that they rep at all times other than fight week.

The fighters not signed are sponsored just inside the cage.

Fighters like Conor will be also sponsored outside the cage (on adverts and billboards and stuff)

I really have very little idea of how the deal works all I know is that I wouldn't want to wear no Rebook uniform unless I get to design my own gear, which I don't think is a option.

I like when the guys are wearing their own individual sponsor gear to add you have uniforms in NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB, which are cool I rock my 49er jersey all the time, but for MMA fighting?

The Reebok deal will start July 6th, 2015. Starting at that time, when fighters arrive at the host city the week of the fight, they will all (cornermen and managers included) receive Reebok gear to wear to all fightweek promotional obligations and workouts. The pay will be based on the "official" UFC fighter rankings. The Reebok deal only covers fighters for the week leading up to the fight, fight night, and the post fight press conference (although fighters are allowed to wear suits if they want).

Out of fightweek, they are not paid by Reebok like the McGregors, Rouseys and Jones of the world.

It's like how Adidas sponsor Real Madrid, they're on everyone's shirt. If they want to bring out a line of Cristiano Ronaldo boots, that's between Ronaldo and Adidas.

I really have very little idea of how the deal works all I know is that I wouldn't want to wear no Rebook uniform unless I get to design my own gear, which I don't think is a option.

I think it is an option to design your own or at least to select from several different designs.

I think it is an option to design your own or at least to select from several different designs.

You apparently get to choose from a few designs and colors but it will be based on rankings. Higher ranking gets first pick etc

It's like how Adidas sponsor Real Madrid, they're on everyone's shirt. If they want to bring out a line of Cristiano Ronaldo boots, that's between Ronaldo and Adidas.

It's like ATP forcing every player to wear a particular brand. Each fighter/tennis player can be seen as an individual "soccer team" (they should decide which company sponsors their clothes, just like Real Madrid does). What UFC is doing is probably illegal. One more lawsuit on the way.

More like ATP forcing every player to wear a particular brand. Each fighter/tennis player can be seen as an individual "soccer team". What UFC is doing is probably illegal. One more lawsuit on the way.

If I hire an independent contractor, why would it be illegal to require them to wear a uniform as part of the deal? What law is being violated?

If I hire an independent contractor, why would it be illegal to require them to wear a uniform as part of the deal? What law is being violated?

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think the NFL can force all teams to use Nike gear; or ATP force Nadal and Djokovic to wear a particular brand. That's not how it works.

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think the NFL can force all teams to use Nike gear;
Lol, you answered your own question. You are not a lawyer and are wrong on all fronts. The NFL has a policy where all NFL players, even if they are not sponsored by Nike, must wear Nike apparel or receive NFL approval before wearing non-Nike apparel on game day and at post game conferences. Heck, even wearing Beats by Dre has gotten NFL players fined. Guys like Kaepernick are sponsored by Beats by Dre but cannot wear them on camera during official NFL tapings because the NFL is sponsored by Bose

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ert-griffin-fined-10000-for-apparel-violation

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11677012/nfl-players-subject-fine-adhere-league-logo-guidelines

Lol, you answered your own question. You are not a lawyer and are wrong on all fronts. The NFL has a policy where all NFL players, even if they are not sponsored by Nike, must wear Nike apparel or receive NFL approval before wearing non-Nike apparel on game day and at post game conferences. Heck, even wearing Beats by Dre has gotten NFL players fined. Guys like Kaepernick are sponsored by Beats by Dre but cannot wear them on camera during official NFL tapings because the NFL is sponsored by Bose

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ert-griffin-fined-10000-for-apparel-violation

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11677012/nfl-players-subject-fine-adhere-league-logo-guidelines

Thats crazy... ATP will probably ruin their players' sponsorships next too.

The problem is you can't just decide to "hire someone as an independent contractor"--whether they are an independent contractor or an employee depends on the degree of control that the entity for which the work is being performed exercises over the person doing the work. How any agreement between the parties characterizes the relationship is irrelevant.

In general, the more control that a business exercises over those doing work for it, the more likely those workers are to be employees. And a required uniform is a significant (though not itself dispositive) factor that weighs in favor of the legal conclusion that the person is actually an employee.

As for what law would be violated--the answer is numerous sections of the internal revenue code which treat employees and independent contractors differently. For example, the forms that a business needs to file and the type and amount of income that the business is obligated to withhold from an employee's paycheck differs from the business' obligations with respect to independent contractors. A business that erroneously classifies employees as independent contractors is subject to penalties, such as those imposed under section 3509 of the internal revenue code for failure to withhold tax relating to employee pay.

The problem is you can't just decide to "hire someone as an independent contractor"--whether they are an independent contractor or an employee depends on the degree of control that the entity for which the work is being performed exercises over the person doing the work. How any agreement between the parties characterizes the relationship is irrelevant.

In general, the more control that a business exercises over those doing work for it, the more likely those workers are to be employees. And a required uniform is a significant (though not itself dispositive) factor that weighs in favor of the legal conclusion that the person is actually an employee.

As for what law would be violated--the answer is numerous sections of the internal revenue code which treat employees and independent contractors differently. For example, the forms that a business needs to file and the type and amount of income that the business is obligated to withhold from an employee's paycheck differs from the business' obligations with respect to independent contractors. A business that erroneously classifies employees as independent contractors is subject to penalties, such as those imposed under section 3509 of the internal revenue code for failure to withhold tax relating to employee pay.

Thank you. That quite informative. Still, can wearing a uniform for half an hour a year really recategorize fighters from contractors to employees?

Perhaps the UFC ought to allow fighters to wear whatever they want, but no other sponsors are allowed on clothing and anyone not wearing Reebok gets no money from them.

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think the NFL can force all teams to use Nike gear; or ATP force Nadal and Djokovic to wear a particular brand. That's not how it works.

In the NFL, there is a CBA between the owners and the players union. The players get a slice of the revenue generated from all sponsors that was agreed upon.

In the UFC there is no fighter union or CBA. The fighters had no say in the deal and are basically forced to agree to anything the UFC does, or they can get cut or be put in contract purgatory.

I'm not sure how ATP works.

Anyone know if McGregor's line will also be available in men's sizes?

Back