How the f*ck did Buakaw dominated k1 with barely no punches

the big marmot

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
The first thing you heard whem you get to a kickboxing gym is that even if you can kick, the punches still more important tham the legs.
So i was rewatching buakaw's k1 max fights and it shocked me how much he dominated the sport with such an alien style and with barely any hooks, uppercuts and bodyshots... the only "punch" he constantly used was that stiff jab to keep distance and as a feint.
The dutch style guys must have been embarrassed back them on how such a different guy dominated them.

Last edited:
The first thing you heard whem you get to a kickboxing gym is that even if you can kick, the punches still more important tham the legs.
So i was rewatching buakaw's k1 max fights and it shocked me how much he dominated the sport with such an alien style and with barely any hooks, uppercuts and bodyshots... the only "punch" he constantly used was that stiff jab to keep distance and as a feint.
The dutch skyle guys must have been embarrassed back them on how such a different guy dominated them.

Said no one ever.

Didn't he knock Souwer out with a punch? Not exactly a boxer but definitely not "no punches".

Buakaw threw plenty of punches, especially in his 2nd MAX title run...

Kind of silly to say imo. Buakaw has plenty of (T)KOs via punch/punches

Last edited:
He threw lots of punches...it is just from must Thai guard not your typical kickboxing guard. His boxing has always been alright. Big improvement from 2005 to 2006 but kinda stagnates after.

He just didn't throw punches in the style people want to see "boxers/kickboxers" throw punches. He didn't crouch or dip off center to rip to the body, he didn't throw 5-6 punch combinations too often. He didn't shoeshine or philly shell draw back check hook or make a bang bang lowkick like the dutchies. Doesn't mean that when he did use hand techniques it was ineffective, in fact the opposite. I actually get that alot from friends who see me watching stadium Muay Thai, it's always the "they need to work on their boxing", Muay Thai (in the ring) is a very mature several decades old combat sport just like western boxing and unlike MMA, there's nothing new (very little things new) under the sun, if they needed to they would've.

It's just a turning upside down of people's expectations of what effective hand techniques "should" look like. Thais do just fine with their punches imo.

The first thing you heard whem you get to a kickboxing gym is that even if you can kick the punches are more important tham the legs.

In eastern euro and some nordic euro it will not happen.
Usually scheme for amateurs tutelage is 50/50 proportion punches/ kicks.
* Due to coaches with also boxing not only KB competitions background and so on.
Plus due to some rules you are allowed do only 1 kick during clinch episode and clinch techniques too are restricted....
Not rarerly for already hurt opponent finishing if he can't threat with possible kicks for some seconds, beatup was/ is done preferably with hands.
Then for example launch 1-2 combos and some hard power blows was/ not rarerly is preferable for euro KB guys.
Rules too are different, not like in MT.
---
Westerners of course does have considerably longer history with arts like boxing than arts with high kicks so this too makes a lot of sense.

One from more frequently used rule sets for euro amateurs outside of Netherlands is WAKO rules.

There are rules:
http://wako.sport/en/page/wako-rules-and-regulations/32/
Disciplines are different: K-1, Full Contact, Low Kick etc.
K-1 Expect
The Knee can be used to attack any part of body and head (legal target areas)
It is allowed to hold opponent’s neck or shoulders with two hands in order to perform only one knee attack. Knee attack must be performed immediately.
It is not allowed to grab the leg and punch or kick at the same time:(:mad:
Art. 2. Legal Target Areas The following parts of the body may be attacked using the authorized fighting techniques:
Head: front (face and forehead), side and top.  Torso: front and side.  Legs: any part.  Foot: for sweeps ankle level only.
-----
Nah, these more modern rules restricts clinch more.
If u will clinch classical, ref will step in, but still, if it can give you even 2-3 sec rest, it is worth it.

It"s because of his awkward style. Still very hard to be beaten. I"ve always wanted to put a tournament with Petrosyan, Buakaw, Sittichai and one more, maybe even Kyshenko. Probably now Marat Grigorian.

Not true at all, some gyms just favor punching plus you have to remember Buakaw comes from a Muay Thai background so punches aren’t nearly as dominant and are used differently.

I know what he means if you look at early Buakaw fights. Buakaw didn't just use a lot of knees and kicks, he used them in a way that were visually damaging, he rewrote the script that a punch is your best bet to get a guy out of there.

The dutch style guys must have been embarrassed back them on how such a different guy dominated them.

Here probably one of the most elaborate breakdown of Buakaw on YouTube

everyone in glory and k1 had some base in muay thai. every kickboxing is diff every fighters has to deal with bs rules

Maybe it's the first thing you hear in American kickboxing gyms, but not in Europe.

Back