How often UFC champions defend title.

Weidman

Still my booooy!
@red
Reaction score
I decided to do a little research and see just how often they defend their title.

Most UFC fighters performs three or four times a year, some even five. But a UFC champion is not in such a situation. It creates the impression that every soldier, after becoming champion, performs much less frequently, and fans don't like that.

And i have explored all leaders/champions and check how much time passes between two of their struggles.

Demetrious Johnson

For now, the only champion in the flyweight category, title won 22 September 2012, and before that he played an average of three times a year. So far the biggest gap between his two appearances was six months and that in two cases, and the last two defenses have taken place in three months apart.
The average time between two defense wins: 4.8 months

TJ Dillashaw

The new champion secured belt in May, only to be defended three months later, in late August. It is expected that his next fight could be in March at UFC 185 event, when he is scheduled to meet with Dominick Cruz. This would mean that it is already the second defense waited almost a full seven months. So far, the TJ was quite active fighter, with about three gigs a year.

Ronda Rousey

She won the title in February 2013, her fourth defense was exactly two years later. meanwhile she was the coach on The Ultimate Fighter, and began her career in Hollywood.
The average time between two defense wins: 6 months

Jose Aldo

Prior to joining the UFC, Aldo has made seven appearances in the space of 23 months, performing in the organization of the WEC. With the arrival in the UFC immediately secured the title and retained through six defense, as he had till now. Once he even performed twice in the space of three months, but after that battle, has not showed up in over a year.
The average time between two defense wins: 7 months

Anthony Pettis

Lightweight champion has no defenses, and several times his matches are canceled due to an injury. After that, he accepted position as coach in Ultimate Fighter, on December 6 he is finally supposed to defend his title against Gilbert Melendez. Since defeating Benson Henderson, it's been almost 15 months! In three and a half years as a member of the UFC, he performed five times. Only in 2010, as a member of the WEC, performed four times.

Johnny Hendricks

Welterweight champion had surgery after winning the belt in March ,and he will defend title after 9 months. So far he has performed between two and three times a year, but as he approached the top of the welterweight category, his performances were less frequent.

Chris Weidman

He won the title in July 2013, defended it five months later, between rematch with Silva and Machida fight was seven months. But it was not up to him, since in May he would fight with Vitor Belfort, who fight gets canceled. It was re-scheduled to appear on December 6th, but now Weidman is injured and the fight against Belfort is on held for the last day of February next year
The average time between two defense wins: 6.4 months

Jon Jones

He seized title in March 2011 and defended it in September and December of that year. After that, interestingly, the next fights occurred in April and september 2012 and two more times in 2013, once in 2014. Because of Jones' injury, the fight against Cormier was transferred to the beginning of January, which Jones average went almost six months, after the first three defense had in a year since the title won.
The average time between two defense title: 5.75 months

Cain Velasquez

Heavyweight champion is the first holder of the belt which he has been seized of after Dominick Cruz, and it occurred after a knee injury. Last defense Velasquez had in November last year, and without this struggle, the average distance between the first two fights was 5.5 months. If Cain finally performs in April, it is assumed that the average time between his two defense will increase to 9.3 months.

Some previous champions

People often refer to Benson Henderson, which is quite often performer, and supported by the facts. In 18 months, as he held the title, defended it four times, which would be every 4.5 months on average, and after losing title, he continued to be active. He performed three times this year and the next performance will be in January.

Renan Barao is averaged at just under six, while Junior Dos Santos, his two defense had in the space of 13 months. Georges St-Pierre has defended the title nine times in a span of five and half years, which would mean that defended every 7.4 months, and Anderson Silva, in six and half years of the rule of secondary category appeared 15 times, although not all were fighting for title. But his average is very good, he has performed every five months, but only in 2007 and 2008 three times.

When i added up all these averages and pulled out one final, we came to the data that the average UFC's Champion/Champion title defends every seven months. Absolutely too seldom!

Sorry for my "not perfect english".

Most UFC fighters do not fight 4-5 times a year. That is Diana propaganda. And the champions are too injury prone. It's a big reason UFC is in decline. There is nothing to stop them pulling out. They still keep their belt. There needs to be some rule that forces them to be active or be stripped.

Champions to me have more promo obligations and will always be tied to 5 round fights so a little bit of leeway is okay to me , Barring Injury of course plus that average us affected by the injury times

Champs these days just want to get there and get paid without defending the belt.

Interin belts and stripping guys after a set amount of time is the way to go. Covering title fights with other fights at that weight class on the undercard, so an interim or just straight up title fight can still go ahead when a guy backs out through injury.

Champs these days just want to get there and get paid without defending the belt.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, I agree with this for the majority of champions. It is very unfortunate. I think most fans would be very content if champs would defend their title twice a year.

Excluding true injuries (not those conveniently occuring now that champ is achieved), UFC is clearly not offering enough creative ideas or incentives to champs to get them to defend more often. Honestly, this may be where the fighter pay issue is legit.

If it truly cannot be fixed with increasing incentives, than maybe a tourney based on a yearly cycle should be implemented so that we have tourney winners as well as division champs. This would introduce a "wildcard" type into the title picture and make many old school fans happy. (Note: I understand this would be difficult to organize parallel to normal schedules, etc., but its just and interesting idea.)

Twice year is probably the best we can hope for, even historically.

If we get three, than it is an amazing year.

Even Chuck fought twice in 2005 and three times in 2006 (with the last fight being on Dec. 30th)

Randy fought about twice a year before that.

Big Timmy fought two or three times a year as champ, although HW is a slippery belt anyways.

Hughes... two or three times.

I would want champions to defend their title 3 times a year but after getting disappointed over and over again, I'd be more than happy if they defend two times a year.

Most UFC fighters do not fight 4-5 times a year. That is Diana propaganda. And the champions are too injury prone. It's a big reason UFC is in decline. There is nothing to stop them pulling out. They still keep their belt. There needs to be some rule that forces them to be active or be stripped.

I 100% agree, as holding the belt (without even fighting) gets you sponsors and endorsement deals etc

I disagree.

Dominic Cruz
Cain Velasquez
Brock Lesnar
GSP

All have been replaced by interim champs at some point. A guy works his whole life just to be champion, gets injured once and it's all taken again. That's just not fair.

I don't think any fighter would agree taking over a year off is beneficial to a champion. They are going against guys who are actively training/competing, and any champion who fights defends more times gets bigger deals. I guarantee the least money GSP has made was in his lay off.

I disagree.

Dominic Cruz
Cain Velasquez
Brock Lesnar
GSP

All have been replaced by interim champs at some point. A guy works his whole life just to be champion, gets injured once and it's all taken again. That's just not fair.

I don't think any fighter would agree taking over a year off is beneficial to a champion. They are going against guys who are actively training/competing, and any champion who fights defends more times gets bigger deals. I guarantee the least money GSP has made was in his lay off.

What you don't agree that as soon as a fighter becomes a champion that they get lots of deals and endorsements??
which is a huge incentive to not lose the belt, even if it means pulling out a fight with a small injury

What you don't agree that as soon as a fighter becomes a champion that they get lots of deals and endorsements??
which is a huge incentive to not lose the belt, even if it means pulling out a fight with a small injury

They do, but they get way more if they fight often. TJ does not have the same pull as Jones because he has only defended once. He's not getting sponsored by nike this year for sure.

Yet Jones got it in just over a year by fighting very, very often (although LHW is a much more popular weight class).

Fighters don't get to decide if they pull out, that's up to professional doctors and surgeons, and honestly I'm amazed by the turn-around time some of these serious injuries have. Jones toe literally fell off in April and he fought in September! That's insane, I would be out for a year

I would like to see how frequently champions fight compared to other fighters, because I don't think the difference will be that much. We just notice more because they are champs. If anything they gotta train/fight for up to 5 rounds

Last edited:
I was curious so I decided to do the math myself. Here are the top 10 HW's according to UFC. Calculated below is their fight average in the past 3 years.

1. Fabricio Werdum (Interim Champion) 7.2 months

2. Junior Dos Santos 9 months

3. Travis Browne 5.14 months

4. Stipe Miocic 6 months

5. Mark Hunt 6 months

6. Josh Barnett 9 months

7. Andrei Arlovski 4.5 months

8. Bigfoot Silva 6 months

9. Roy Nelson 4.5 months

10. Ben Rothwell 9 months

Average = 6.63 Months
Average champion frequency = 7.4 months

On average, champions take only 23 days longer to prepare for a 5 round fight compared to most HW's. Not long at all.

Wow, feels like Rousey defends more frequently than that.

There goes one of the few things I liked about her.

I somehow had the impression she had much shorter spans between defenses than everyone else except maybe MM.

Should defend a min of 2 times per year.

Should defend a min of 2 times per year.

According to what I just posted, the average HW doesn't even fight 2 times a year. So that doesn't work. If they aren't making a new contender every 6 months how can the champ defend every 6 months?

I somehow had the impression she had much shorter spans between defenses than everyone else except maybe MM.

She defended 3 times in 6 months. However she also coached TUF causing a 9 month gap between her first and second fight. Then after Alexis she was injured so wanted to wait 5 months to fight on the end of year card but that has been delayed due to Cat's injury.

Me too... weird. But it checks out. She still fights more often than most fighters/champs

I decided to do a little research and see just how often they defend their title.

Was expecting to see only the question and someone trying to make others do the heavy lifting.

But you had it all done, so props for that.

I think people overlook how the matchmaking is done.

If you are supposed to fight someone and you or they drop out last minute, they plug another person in. If you are a champion, most people will turn down a short notice fight because they want to win. Basically, the title fight gets scrapped even if the contender is injured, whereas normal fights are not. That's not up to the champ.

Back