How much time does it take to heal?

Greg55

White Belt
Reaction score
I was sparring last Friday and then my opponent cleansed me and landed a knee strike at my liver with medium power. It didn't touch a rib, it all went through and the liver suffered all of the shock. Now almost a week later and still i can't stretch my upper body without feeling pain and i cannot sleep in log position at the right side comfortably. If i run the area fatigues fast and if i eat or drink too much it itches... How much time until it passes yet? I didn't train since then but i bet i wont be able to workout like this...

Last edited:
Have you been stretching at least? When I was in TKD I've been liver kicked many times but still come to practice the. Next day, I'd say go see a doc and see what's up

I was sparring last Friday and then my opponent cleansed me and landed a knee strike at my liver with medium power. It didn't touch a rib, it all went through and the liver suffered all of the shock. Now almost a week later and still i can't stretch my upper body without feeling pain and i cannot sleep in log position at the right side comfortably. If i run the area fatigues fast and if i eat or drink too much it itches... How much time until it passes yet? I didn't train since then but i bet i wont be able to workout like this...

Damage from a liver kick (Vagus nerve) that drops you should be somewhat recovered from in just a round or two of sitting out. I've never stopped a sparring class completely after a liver shot (or taken a round off because my coach is a sadist). It's something that you can work through after a few minutes of rest,

UNLESS: it cracked a rib or did serious soft tissue/organ damage.

It sounds like you may have torn a muscle in or above your oblique. If you have health insurance/can afford it, go to the doctor asap. If you can't, rest and ice - no training or lifting until it feels better. If you have any signs of actual liver damage - Jaundice (yellow tinge to skin/whites of eyes - go to the doc whether you can afford it or not. If you have pain during digestion or bloody stools or piss - go to the doctor. If you have bloating or your abdomen seems at all swollen - organ damage or internal bleeding could be happening - go straight to doc/hospital.

I am not a doctor, obviously but I am concerned that you have internal damage beyond just a little bruising.

I hope this helps and I hope you just wake up tomorrow feeling better.

Good luck and get better, bro. Take it really easy for awhile no matter what.

Could it be that serious?

It probably isn't but it definitely could be. Look out for weird symptoms like nausea/vomiting, yellow skin/eyes, palpable tightness or bloating on right side of abdomen, blood (can be black if it's high enough in you digestive tract or could be dark red) in urine (there's a kidney in there) or stool, unreasonable fatigue, fainting or dizziness.

Any of those should send you to the doc. Otherwise, you likely have torn muscle wall or intercostal muscle (muscles between the ribs). I know you said it didn't catch your ribs but sometimes it is hard to tell with your lowest floating ribs - they are awfully weak and unsupported so you may have a partial fracture.

Gall bladder's right there as well, particularly if it was a low liver knee. That could be injured. Again, probably not but I'm just trying to cover all the bases I know of so you can be on the lookout.

Ice, ice, ice and rest. NO STRETCHING. Stop running until you either know more or feel better.

EDIT: Also, avoid blood thinning agents. No aspirin. Use Ibuprofen. Avoid Tylenol (acetaminophen/paracetemol, I think its called outside USA) because it's hard on the liver - just in case you have actual liver damage).

Last edited:
It probably isn't but it definitely could be. Look out for weird symptoms like nausea/vomiting, yellow skin/eyes, palpable tightness or bloating on right side of abdomen, blood (can be black if it's high enough in you digestive tract or could be dark red) in urine (there's a kidney in there) or stool, unreasonable fatigue, fainting or dizziness.

Any of those should send you to the doc. Otherwise, you likely have torn muscle wall or intercostal muscle (muscles between the ribs). I know you said it didn't catch your ribs but sometimes it is hard to tell with your lowest floating ribs - they are awfully weak and unsupported so you may have a partial fracture.

Gall bladder's right there as well, particularly if it was a low liver knee. That could be injured. Again, probably not but I'm just trying to cover all the bases I know of so you can be on the lookout.

Ice, ice, ice and rest. NO STRETCHING. Stop running until you either know more or feel better.
God... I never even guessed. Well about these symptoms i don't have any of them so it has to be a muscle tear i take it... Could it really be a lower rib? when idle i don't feel anything unless i press the area. If it is a rib indeed how could i possibly treat it? does it leave you with permanent damage? Forgot to mention that there are no bruises. I didn't have any bruises from the start. Assuming it is a fractured rib wouldn't have the pain gotten worse during all this time? What kind of doctor should i see an orthopedic?

Will an X-RAY suffice to tell weather i have broken a lower rib or not?

Will an X-RAY suffice to tell weather i have broken a lower rib or not?

Definitely. Unfortunately it may require an MRI if the doc thinks it's soft tissue/organ. X rays can show some soft tissue damage but they are nothing compared to MRI for that stuff.

Judging by your symptoms I strongly suspect it is nothing more than a muscle tear. In which case you may be wasting money on the doctor.

It's just one of those things where it's probably a muscle tear and the doc can't do much to help except maybe manage the pain BUT it COULD be something so serious that you can't afford not to go to the doctor.

To be clear, I strongly recommend a trip to the doc.

One of the problems for me is that I've only ever been dropped by liver kicks. A liver knee seems like it could penetrate deeper and maybe do damage deeper in your body. It sounds like most of your pain is close to the surface and you don't have those other symptoms so that's a good sign.

I'm only as concerned as I am because we are talking about almost a week and you are still injured. If you are under 50 years old and fit, there are very few superficial injuries that would still be affecting you the way you describe.

Something is definitely wrong. Whether it is something that a doctor can help with or not - I don't know. If it's a torn muscle, in all likelihood doc will just tell you to rest, stop training, maybe ice (I highly recommend it to reduce inflammation, manage pain and speed healing) and maybe wrap it since it's lower than your ribs. Most docs don't wrap rib fractures anymore because it can cause people not to breathe deeply enough and they end up getting pneumonia. I like to wrap injured ribs just for a few hours a day when I might be a little active because it really helps the pain and focus on taking deep breaths once in awhile.

I sure hope you feel better soon and it's no big deal.

Last edited:
One of the problems for me is that I've only ever been dropped by liver kicks. A liver knee seems like it could penetrate deeper and maybe do damage deeper in your body. It sounds like most of your pain is close to the surface and you don't have those other symptoms so that's a good sign.

I'm only as concerned as I am because we are talking about almost a week and you are still injured. If you are under 50 years old and fit, there are very few superficial injuries that would still be affecting you the way you describe.
Im 21. To be honest last week was a pain in the ass for me. It is my exams period, i study too many hours, don't get much sleep, don't eat much, only about 2 times a day and not quality food. This could be it. I hope it is...

Im 21. To be honest last week was a pain in the ass for me. It is my exams period, i study too many hours, don't get much sleep, don't eat much, only about 2 times a day and not quality food. This could be it. I hope it is...

Yeah, that could affect your recovery. Also, it sounds like you've been running despite the pain. If you really stop all training and can get some good rest and sleep it could make a difference for sure.

Good luck, man! Feel better soon!

Go to the doctor and good luck with that.

Is probably nothing but if it turns to be serious you dont want to go the the doc a little too late.

ibuprofin... if it gets really bad then go see doctor.

And guess who is feeling lucky today! it is actually a fractured rib. Gotta have to sit patiently on the sofa and buy some new video games and shit and wait for about a month until i can have somebody bust them fucking ribs again. Isn't that fucking awesome?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brady12Gronk87
Back