How much time between meals?

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Throwin'Bolos, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Throwin'Bolos

Throwin'Bolos White Belt

how much time should be given between meals?

2. grapling101

grapling101 Brown Belt

20 to 30 min.

3. LCDforMe

LCDforMe Purple Belt

I usually go about 2 hours and have a smaller size meal.

4. Rjkd12

Rjkd12 Certified Bastard

I like to go until I'm hungry again. I have been snacking more and not eating big meals to avoid getting extremely sleepy after the big meals. I'd say I eat like at 7am, noon, 3pm, and like 7 or 8 I'll have some cottage cheese or something. If I eat breakfast really early I'll have a quick snack before lunch.

5. surf2live2surf

surf2live2surf Yellow Belt

I would say eat before you get hungry. Usually every couple of hours. This way you won't go overboard when you eat. try to plan out ahead of time what times you will be eating and try to stick to the schedule.

6. Duncon76

Duncon76 Blue Belt

Depends on the person. Everyone is different and it depends on your goals

7. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

The best way to keep your metabalism going is to eat one thing (apple, sandwich, handful of almonds, bannana, bowl of oatmeal etc...) every 2 to 3 hours. Think of you metabolism like a fire. If you add smaller peices of wood it burns faster if you throw a huge log (big meal) on, it takes a lot longer to burn. If you really want to get lean you have to get used to being a little hungry from time to time. Dinner is where most people go wrong. You don't need a one big meal at night. Spread it out over 3 to 4 hours.

In a typical day I eat.
    Breakfast 5am - bowl of oatmeal w/ a spoonful of strawberry jelly or a bowl of whole grain cereal w/milk
    snack 7am - granola bar, or banana
    snack 930am - mid sized handful of baby carrots or a yogurt
    Lunch noon - turkey breast sandwich on whole wheat bread with mozerella cheese and mustard
    snack 3pm - apple or banana or orange
    snack 5pm - handful of almonds
    Dinner 7pm - sandwich and a salad with olive oil and basalmic viniger OR grilled salmon and veggies
    snack 9pm - single peice of bread with peanut butter

I work out right before dinner. I'm 6' 170. I sit at a desk all day so I really have to watch my calorie intake or I'll blow up. Right now I'm around 9 or 10% body fat. You'll have to tailor this to your lifestyle but it works for me. One last thing, drink plenty of water. Lay off sweets and sodas.

8. PariahCarey

PariahCarey Purple Belt

Good post. Got to have variety if your going to eat this frequently. My trail mix includes nuts and dried fruit. Have a cheat day or two too so you can go off every little while. If your hungry your body's starvation mechanism is gonna kick in and your going to be burning hard earned muscle.

9. Lard-ass

Lard-ass Sodomizer

Moonshining and banjo pickinĀ“ in Aintry.
    Peanut butter?? Whats the deal with americans and peanut butter? I hear a lot of guys eating that suff, It cant be good, or can it?

10. grapling101

grapling101 Brown Belt

I was told it has butter in it so it can not be good for you. I never looked at the ingridents, my guess is it is called butter cause you can spread it

11. SSJP

SSJP Yellow Belt

Peanut butter, much like the peanuts from which it is produced, has a lot of good fats and is high in protein.

12. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

I switch this up frequently but the timing and the calories per snack stays fairly constant. If you eat like this 5 to 6 days a week, cheating 1 or 2 days is fine. I tend to binge drink once or twice a month and I go out to eat 1 or 2 times a month too.
    Menshealth.comhas excellent meal ideas under their nutrition section.

13. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

I'm not sure if the peanut butter thing was a joke or not....but is's a good source of protein (buy chunky with no trans fats) I go through a large jar every 2 weeks.

14. Madmick

Madmick Cerebrage Staff Member Senior Moderator

The natural style peanut butters are a great source of primarily fat and secondarily protein. No, there is no butter in peanut butter. It's peanuts and oil.

Avoid Jif and Skiffy or whatever. They have added sugar.