How much time between meals?

I usually go about 2 hours and have a smaller size meal.

I like to go until I'm hungry again. I have been snacking more and not eating big meals to avoid getting extremely sleepy after the big meals. I'd say I eat like at 7am, noon, 3pm, and like 7 or 8 I'll have some cottage cheese or something. If I eat breakfast really early I'll have a quick snack before lunch.

I would say eat before you get hungry. Usually every couple of hours. This way you won't go overboard when you eat. try to plan out ahead of time what times you will be eating and try to stick to the schedule.

Depends on the person. Everyone is different and it depends on your goals

The best way to keep your metabalism going is to eat one thing (apple, sandwich, handful of almonds, bannana, bowl of oatmeal etc...) every 2 to 3 hours. Think of you metabolism like a fire. If you add smaller peices of wood it burns faster if you throw a huge log (big meal) on, it takes a lot longer to burn. If you really want to get lean you have to get used to being a little hungry from time to time. Dinner is where most people go wrong. You don't need a one big meal at night. Spread it out over 3 to 4 hours.

In a typical day I eat.
Breakfast 5am - bowl of oatmeal w/ a spoonful of strawberry jelly or a bowl of whole grain cereal w/milk
snack 7am - granola bar, or banana
snack 930am - mid sized handful of baby carrots or a yogurt
Lunch noon - turkey breast sandwich on whole wheat bread with mozerella cheese and mustard
snack 3pm - apple or banana or orange
snack 5pm - handful of almonds
Dinner 7pm - sandwich and a salad with olive oil and basalmic viniger OR grilled salmon and veggies
snack 9pm - single peice of bread with peanut butter

I work out right before dinner. I'm 6' 170. I sit at a desk all day so I really have to watch my calorie intake or I'll blow up. Right now I'm around 9 or 10% body fat. You'll have to tailor this to your lifestyle but it works for me. One last thing, drink plenty of water. Lay off sweets and sodas.

bacon said:
The best way to keep your metabalism going is to eat one thing (apple, sandwich, handful of almonds, bannana, bowl of oatmeal etc...) every 2 to 3 hours. Think of you metabolism like a fire. If you add smaller peices of wood it burns faster if you throw a huge log (big meal) on, it takes a lot longer to burn. If you really want to get lean you have to get used to being a little hungry from time to time. Dinner is where most people go wrong. You don't need a one big meal at night. Spread it out over 3 to 4 hours.

In a typical day I eat.
Breakfast 5am - bowl of oatmeal w/ a spoonful of strawberry jelly or a bowl of whole grain cereal w/milk
snack 7am - granola bar, or banana
snack 930am - mid sized handful of baby carrots or a yogurt
Lunch noon - turkey breast sandwich on whole wheat bread with mozerella cheese and mustard
snack 3pm - apple or banana or orange
snack 5pm - handful of almonds
Dinner 7pm - sandwich and a salad with olive oil and basalmic viniger OR grilled salmon and veggies
snack 9pm - single peice of bread with peanut butter

I work out right before dinner. I'm 6' 170. I sit at a desk all day so I really have to watch my calorie intake or I'll blow up. Right now I'm around 9 or 10% body fat. You'll have to tailor this to your lifestyle but it works for me. One last thing, drink plenty of water. Lay off sweets and sodas.
Good post. Got to have variety if your going to eat this frequently. My trail mix includes nuts and dried fruit. Have a cheat day or two too so you can go off every little while. If your hungry your body's starvation mechanism is gonna kick in and your going to be burning hard earned muscle.

Peanut butter?? Whats the deal with americans and peanut butter? I hear a lot of guys eating that suff, It cant be good, or can it?

Lard-ass said:
Peanut butter?? Whats the deal with americans and peanut butter? I hear a lot of guys eating that suff, It cant be good, or can it?
I was told it has butter in it so it can not be good for you. I never looked at the ingridents, my guess is it is called butter cause you can spread it

Peanut butter, much like the peanuts from which it is produced, has a lot of good fats and is high in protein.

PariahCarey said:
Good post. Got to have variety if your going to eat this frequently. My trail mix includes nuts and dried fruit. Have a cheat day or two too so you can go off every little while. If your hungry your body's starvation mechanism is gonna kick in and your going to be burning hard earned muscle.

I switch this up frequently but the timing and the calories per snack stays fairly constant. If you eat like this 5 to 6 days a week, cheating 1 or 2 days is fine. I tend to binge drink once or twice a month and I go out to eat 1 or 2 times a month too.
Menshealth.comhas excellent meal ideas under their nutrition section.

I'm not sure if the peanut butter thing was a joke or not....but is's a good source of protein (buy chunky with no trans fats) I go through a large jar every 2 weeks.

The natural style peanut butters are a great source of primarily fat and secondarily protein. No, there is no butter in peanut butter. It's peanuts and oil.

Avoid Jif and Skiffy or whatever. They have added sugar.

Back