How much does Conor's (or any fighter's) power benefit from a FW to LW move?

deltapapha

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Granted it decreases speed, but perhaps some of you punching physics nerds could weigh in on this. All else being equal how should punching force measurements be affected by move from 145 to 155?

Footnote question that might have already been addressed: Is Conor McGregor an unqualified power puncher?

Conor vs Ivan gives a good idea.

Ivan is no a can. He is 30-4 and champ in another org. Should had been in the UFC already.

Conor rocked him with a counter, then wrecked him with another counter. LW Conor is a Super Saiyajin.

He's gonna be better at 155. Question is can he still cut to 145? He's gonna put on more muscle.

He's gonna be better at 155. Question is can he still cut to 145? He's gonna put on more muscle.

Yeah I hope he never goes back. It 'throws off' my appreciation of a fight to see the fighters looking like freaks.

All speculation.

Fights aren't fought on paper, and who you beat in your last fight means shit in your next fight, you still gotta go in there and face RDA.

Anderson KO'd Vitor, so there's no way he gets knocked out by Weidman right? Wrong.

Cro Cop KO'd Vovchanchyn, Bonjasky, & countless other K-1 greats, so no way he's gonna get KO'd by someone like Randleman right? Wrong.

Funny things can happen in a fight.

At the end of the day everything that happened is history, and all his accomplishments wont help him, and all the talk wont change anything when that cage shuts and it's just him and Rafa.

I can analyze and guess, but in the end I have no idea who's gonna win, I just know who I want to win.

Anyone who thinks they're predicting anything is an idiot. Anyone thinking Conor is predicting anything is even more of an idiot.

All speculation.

Fights aren't fought on paper, and who you beat in your last fight means shit in your next fight, you still gotta go in there and face RDA.

Anderson KO'd Vitor, so there's no way he gets knocked out by Weidman right? Wrong.

Cro Cop KO'd Vovchanchyn, Bonjasky, & countless other K-1 greats, so no way he's gonna get KO'd by someone like Randleman right? Wrong.

At the end of the day everything that happened is history, and all his accomplishments wont help him, and all the talk wont change anything when that cage shuts and it's just him and Rafa.

I can analyze and guess, but in the end I have no idea who's gonna win, I just know who I want to win.

Anyone who thinks they're predicting anything is an idiot. Anyone thinking Conor is predicting anything is even more of an idiot.

That's great now would you care to comment on content of OP. Also NdGT is one of the most hyped science communicators since it has been a thing.

if Conor beats RDA it's unlikely he's ever going back to 145.

Way to stay on topic guys...

To answer the OP, I don't think it will make much difference for Conor since his power is more about accuracy than brute strength/weight. My opinion.

thread saved
giphy.gif

All speculation.

Did you post in a thread without reading the initial post or the thread title?

That's great now would you care to comment on content of OP. Also NdGT is one of the most hyped science communicators since it has been a thing.
I dont know how hyped he is, but I find he's a very good narrator.

All speculation.

ur more of an idiot for getting a double yellow card. i only got one

Dustin Poirier, a proven example of a guy that moved up and showed a nice increase in punching power

ur more of an idiot for getting a double yellow card. i only got one
Maybe I have a life and I don't take my sherdog account as serious as you... which might be why you have more posts in 6 months than I do in 10 years.

TS

power is not that important in a striking fight when you have mcgoat precision

I guess that power could help you more in the wrestling dept

IMHO a FW to LW move depends on your frame

conor is a big cutter for 145, so the 155 cut should benefit him (just like poirier who´s now doing great at 155)

not the case for edgar who´s frame is smaller and the 145 cut does not represent a huge effort

He'll hit harder. He'll be better hydrated with a bit more mass to throw into those punches. I don't think we'll see any loss of speed.

Power is power, it neither decreases or increases based on weight class. Therefore McGregor will be just as powerful a striker at LW as he was at FW.
Stamina is a whole different discussion when it comes to weight class moves. He might be able to carry his power further in a fight if he hasn't had to exhaust himself due to unnatural weight cutting.

All speculation.

The question was, does punching power transfer when a fighter moves up in weight.

The question was, does punching power transfer when a fighter moves up in weight.
My bad, too many Conor threads so I must have got them mixed up.

Conor is too big for FW, and is more like a natural LW anyway so I think his power will be just as effective I guess.

Back