how much do you train

AJB789

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am starting to get my mma game together with a personal striking and csw coach I did wrestling and bjj for years. I am looking to have my first amateur fight at the end of the year I was wondering how much you guys train in a given week. I train about 10 hours a week 4 with my coach 3 hitting the bags or whatever on my own and 3 doing cardio and light weight lifting I know I have to step my game up but was just wondering how much the other amateur fighters train in a week and balance there jobs and school or whatever

ttt any amatures out there i posted this in the wrong place first and got nothing but jokes

I am starting to get my mma game together with a personal striking and csw coach I did wrestling and bjj for years. I am looking to have my first amateur fight at the end of the year I was wondering how much you guys train in a given week. I train about 10 hours a week 4 with my coach 3 hitting the bags or whatever on my own and 3 doing cardio and light weight lifting I know I have to step my game up but was just wondering how much the other amateur fighters train in a week and balance there jobs and school or whatever

Not a ammy fighter yet but I get about 5 nights a week 3-4 hours a night and then I lift heavy 2x a week and I do cardio 1-3 times a week on my own.

If I have a fight obviously the lifting will switch to more cardio based as well as my cardio will step up.

Right now though I get about 15-20 a week in the Gym (BJJ, Boxing, w/e) then 2 hours lifting and around 2-3 hours cardio.... I am also a full time student my only job right now is for my gym though.

Hope that gave you an idea anyway I think it's really finding what works for you. Also being consistent.

ttt any amatures out there i posted this in the wrong place first and got nothing but jokes

The training forums don't move as fast at OT, but you will get quality over quantity.

Before I hurt my shoulder I used to train BJJ 3 times a week, two hours a day. I would also lift weights at the gym 6 times a week and I would walk as much as possible. Sadly I injuried my should which has caused all kinds of problems for me. Its started to go into my back and neck now.

I am slowly getting better, but I have put on a lot of weight. I can't wait to get it all off.

do you have problems just getting dinged up. i would say that is most of my problems with training time is just being sore from strikeing. i dont know if it is just getting used to it or a me thing we do a lot of no glove strikeing and it is very new to me i have only been doing standup for about 6 months

i trained 5x a week 2 hours a day before i started school now. i gotta do 3x. its cool then it could give me rest time to heal up.

i still have yet to do more conditioning on my own, since i've been injured for the past 3 months with a shoulder injury. getting back into rehabbing but still training bjj

I train BJJ 3-4 times a week at 2 hours a pop. Lift 4 time a week. Run 5-6 times a week, usually run 4 miles or so(needs to be a little more) I get bag time/stand up on the days I lift usually. I don't get as much as I would like, but I work alot and have a wife and a kid.

alos do you notice yourself steping and slideing around work or ducking and doging through crouds or any little quarks

Chronic injuries keep me at 3x a week for BJJ. Not too bad of a situation, seeing as how if I wasn't injured, I'd probably go more, and end up failing out of school...

Yeah, I usually catch myself doing stuff like that. Unfortunately for my 5 yr old, if I have a GREAT new idea for a sub or something, he is usually the one closest by to catch its wrath. My wife has learned to get away when I start talking about it so that it isn't her.

Yeah, I usually catch myself doing stuff like that. Unfortunately for my 5 yr old, if I have a GREAT new idea for a sub or something, he is usually the one closest by to catch its wrath. My wife has learned to get away when I start talking about it so that it isn't her.

haha poor kid hope he know how to tap and watch out when hes 18 and learns how to slip a hold

Poor kid? MY ASS, he is in jiujitsu too. Try saying poor kid when he climbs over the back of the couch and locks in a figure 4 around my neck. Don't worry, he gets me back when it is due. He also tears up my calves with his low kicks. lol.

I fight mma professionally and teach bjj/mma full time

I go to a boxing gym 4 days a week

I take a weekly private with my kickboxing coach and take one additional day to spar with my students

I train with my wrestling coach twice a week and once a week work my takedowns with my students

I do one day of full MMA a week

5 days a week I train BJJ with my students while I teach

I only train BJJ.. but 3 times a week x 1.5 hrs.... so 4.5 hrs a week

BJJ usually twice a week, about 4 hours total.

STEP IT UP....how's your cardio? I can't imagine being able to have endurance on the mat only training bjj for 4 hours a week....Myself personally needs to incorporate cardio outside of bjj everyday.

HIT training has worked wonders for my stamina/endurance on the mat

STEP IT UP....how's your cardio? I can't imagine being able to have endurance on the mat only training bjj for 4 hours a week....Myself personally needs to incorporate cardio outside of bjj everyday.

HIT training has worked wonders for my stamina/endurance on the mat

Yeah I want to train more, but I go to school full time and have 3 part time jobs - plus I have a hernia I need to get taken care of, so for the time being, this is about all I can manage. After surgery I'm planning on doing some exercise outside of class to help me with conditioning and strength.

My cardio isn't amazing, but I've noticed that it's gotten substantially better since I've gone from 1 to 2 days a week. After drilling and instruction we usually have 45 minutes to an hour to roll, and I'll roll anywhere from 1 to 3 times to a submission. I don't know what most people manage to do. If I'm not exhausted I'll keep rolling with more people.

3x a week, 2 hours a day of BJJ. Might occasionally do a quick 30 minute - 1 hour grappling session (Judo, wrestling, and some matwork) with the guys I train stand up with. Those tend to be 1-2x a week tops.

Back