How much affect does weight cutting have...

eternaldarkness

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
On a fighters health? Personally I'm not a fan of big cuts in mma but I think it's a lot more dangerous in boxing due to the nature of the contest. Anybody else think it could be a contributor to the recent spate of injuries/deaths.
Boxers have been following recent treads and a lot seem to be doing bigger cuts these days.

On a fighters health? Personally I'm not a fan of big cuts in mma but I think it's a lot more dangerous in boxing due to the nature of the contest. Anybody else think it could be a contributor to the recent spate of injuries/deaths.
Boxers have been following recent treads and a lot seem to be doing bigger cuts these days.
They do huge cuts in both sports, and I think the larger gaps in mma may lead to more amateur deaths and weight cutting specific deaths. I think boxing lends itself to more brain injuries due to the nature.

But as with anything, it depends on the person.

Personally I think it should be within 10% fight weight within 30 days, 5% within 14 and no more than 5% in rehydration day of fight. I think the WBC and IBF kinda get this right for title fights, otherwise I don’t see much enforcement.

If fighters miss weight by more than 2.5% the fight is cancelled and fighter is suspended for a year. Treat it as a PED violation.

It all depends.

You gotta remember mma is full of wrestlers who cut weight every weekend for years as kids...their bodies will surely respond differently.

I think cutting a lot of weight in mma is actually beneficial, depending on your style...if you're a pure striker just fight at full strength but some grapplers are so good at using the extra weight to wear the opponent out.....Khabib fights at 155 and he's walking around at about 185-190. A guy like Adesanya probably barely walks over light heavyweight mma limit and he's a big 185.

In boxing I'd just fight close to your weight...you have the quickness and strength and unless you're undersized as fuck, just be at your peak weight imo

Basically human bodies are weird and different and it depends on a shit load of factors

100%.

The dehydration/rehydration cycle supposedly makes the dura mater much more brittle then it is normally, which can result in tearing occurring more easily. This particular tissue takes longer then the rest of the body to get back to normal. That's like the bowling bag for your brain/spinal spinal cord.

I would ASSUME that this property is mirrored throughout the brain tissue, but that is just a surmise on my part.

Head trauma is never a GOOD thing (unless a bitch don't know her place) but in a dehydrated brain the results can be amplified.

I think day before weigh-ins allow plenty of time to re-hydrate, especially the brain/head which are vulnerable to dehydration. I don't think cutting is harmful. Think of it as intermittent fasting.

I think we just had a bad run for deaths in the sport in 2019. It's a dangerous endeavor.

100%.

The dehydration/rehydration cycle supposedly makes the dura mater much more brittle then it is normally, which can result in tearing occurring more easily. This particular tissue takes longer then the rest of the body to get back to normal. That's like the bowling bag for your brain/spinal spinal cord.

I would ASSUME that this property is mirrored throughout the brain tissue, but that is just a surmise on my part.

Head trauma is never a GOOD thing (unless a bitch don't know her place) but in a dehydrated brain the results can be amplified.
I have never had a headache from boxing until I did a bit of light sparring with a hangover. It made me extremely cautious of hydration levels.

I have never had a headache from boxing until I did a bit of light sparring with a hangover. It made me extremely cautious of hydration levels.
One time? I think I tried that once or twice being a practicing alcoholic in those days, but never again after the once or twice. Didn't get headache, but didn't fare well overall.

Was the only reason Pac beat Oscar.

It all depends.

You gotta remember mma is full of wrestlers who cut weight every weekend for years as kids...their bodies will surely respond differently.

I think cutting a lot of weight in mma is actually beneficial, depending on your style...if you're a pure striker just fight at full strength but some grapplers are so good at using the extra weight to wear the opponent out.....Khabib fights at 155 and he's walking around at about 185-190. A guy like Adesanya probably barely walks over light heavyweight mma limit and he's a big 185.

In boxing I'd just fight close to your weight...you have the quickness and strength and unless you're undersized as fuck, just be at your peak weight imo

Basically human bodies are weird and different and it depends on a shit load of factors

No way Khabib is walking around at 190...

They do huge cuts in both sports, and I think the larger gaps in mma may lead to more amateur deaths and weight cutting specific deaths. I think boxing lends itself to more brain injuries due to the nature.

But as with anything, it depends on the person.

Personally I think it should be within 10% fight weight within 30 days, 5% within 14 and no more than 5% in rehydration day of fight. I think the WBC and IBF kinda get this right for title fights, otherwise I don’t see much enforcement.

If fighters miss weight by more than 2.5% the fight is cancelled and fighter is suspended for a year. Treat it as a PED violation.

good post dude. Not a fan of weight cutting but is there a way around it? I like your ideas

I think you’re spot on about MMA and boxing. The huge weight cuts in MMA are clearly hazardous. I think weight cutting adds to the risk of brain injury in boxing, especially in longer fights where fatigue becomes the issue

No way Khabib is walking around at 190...
That's what he says.

I heard Max Holloway walks around in the 180s as well and he's fighting at 145

Weight cutting is for pussies. Dave sands was the middle, light heavy and heavy weight champion of Australia. So was les Darcy. Manny destroyed a weight drained dela hoya. Dempsey destroyed willard. Frazier crushed mathis (kinda, mathis would be world champ these days).

Back