How many times would you have given up on MMA if you were Anthony Smith?

AimedWithV

Double Yellow Card
@Silver
Reaction score
Look at this record. Look at all these points that shout: Stop it! It's not for you!

From the beginning of his career until now:
2009-2010 - 4 fight losing streak, 3 consecutive TKOs;
2011 - Second fight in Strikeforce: Embarrassing quick loss to Adlan Amagov, after missing weight
2013 - Lost UFC debut and immediately cut;
2013 - Lost his next fight in regionals, which usually locks the door back to the UFC;
2018 - Lost after the first meaningful winning streak in major organizations.

And then, after being knocked out by MW, decides to move up the division. Where he was supposed to be killed, no matter how shallow that division has become.
And look where he is now.

Here is the clip where he stars: Through Fire - Stronger.
Just like Anthony Smith, Through Fire's genre - NU metal - was supposed to quietly die more than decade ago.
Yet they kick ass today.

I have to give it to him... his determination is something to admire. Many people would have given up much sooner.

From journeyman to title contender. Pretty impressive.

I have to give it to him... his determination is something to admire. Many people would have given up much sooner.

It's like life repeatedly telling you: "Dude, you're not good enough, MMA is not for you".
And you showing it a middle finger each time.

Well, when you put it like that.....
<mma4><mma4><mma4><mma4><mma4><mma4>

This would be a greater Cinderella story than gsp/serra

I think Reyes is the only guy that can give Jones issues at LHW. Smith looks slow and telegraphed.

This would be a greater Cinderella story than gsp/serra

I think so too.
Especially because GSP was a fan favorite, loved champion...and Jones...

Let's put it this way. Smith winning would be mega karma comeback.

i'll be rooting for anthony to win, but i really dont see how he'll do it man.. <DCrying>

BUT, if he does manage to win against jones..
<DCWhoa>:meow:<{JustBleed}>

What else is he going to do to get money?
He's 3-0 at LHW isn't he? So he's a great example to other fighters, don't cut loads of weight. I guess Chiesa may have a similar experience.

I enjoy a lot of different stuff, but that was some awful paint by numbers cliche nu metal.

Just really bad,

Oh man, I can find you much much worse nu metal bands if you want to. Let's just say they're not Drowning Pool or Saliva.

Also don't forget, these guys are not from the actual nu metal generation. They probably inherited that from their parents.
Also they have better songs.

But here is something for you to enjoy, just to remember the good old days:

Will you be as enthusiastic after he gets KOd and later sent to prelims?

From journeyman to title contender. Pretty impressive.

He could be the LHW Robbie Lawler.

Lawler lost 3 of his last 4 UFC fights before being cut at age 22, went 3-5 in Strikeforce, and 11-1-7 overall between his UFC stints, then peeled off three straight wins upon returning to the UFC (and 170lbs) at 30 years old, lost his first title shot, got another couple of wins, then evetually became WW champ at age 32, in his 36th pro fight.

Upon writing that out, I don't really feel like they made enough of a big deal of how great a comeback/Cinderella story Lawler's rise was.

Last edited:
Back