How many times a week/month should i train MMA?

• Thread starter Deleted member 412415
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 412415

Hey all. I'm a teenager who's looking to get back into MMA. I did it previously for about 1.5 years, but that was under a fairly bad instructor, so i don't know if I can count that. I ended up stopping after I developed a winging scapula, but after two-three years of rehabilitation, i'm good to go again.
SO.. the question. How many times a week do I need to train MMA? The nearest good gym is a 45 minute drive away.. so I could only really go there once a week. Is this enough? I will of course put in a lot of practice at home on the punching bag and all that. I only want to get into it for self-defense and self confidence purposes.
Thanks in advance guys! :)

Once a week > Not going at all

A lot of it comes down to how you apply yourself and your focus whilst your training. Many are contempt with just going through the motions of a class, going home and patting themselves on the back. Then there's the select few who absorb every little bit of information available, ask questions and go above and beyond passive thought.

Do the latter and you'll learn a lot regardless of how many times a week you train :)

Hey all. I'm a teenager who's looking to get back into MMA. I did it previously for about 1.5 years, but that was under a fairly bad instructor, so i don't know if I can count that. I ended up stopping after I developed a winging scapula, but after two-three years of rehabilitation, i'm good to go again.

SO.. the question. How many
times a week do I need to train MMA? The nearest good gym is a
45 minute drive away.. so I could
only really go there once a week.
Is this enough? I will of course
put in a lot of practice at home
on the punching bag and all that.
I only want to get into it for self-defense and self confidence purposes.
Thanks in advance guys! :)

honestly once a week is nothing... Try to go at least twice

I'd love to, but I don't know if I can do it :icon_sad:
if I could meet up with a friend who is also attending classes to spar a few times a week, would that help?

Find friends that are interested in it, car pool. Go as much as you can.

It's a matter of objectives.
Once a week helps you maintain but it's hard to have variety with that pace.

I'd love to, but I don't know if I can do it :icon_sad:
if I could meet up with a friend who is also attending classes to spar a few times a week, would that help?

Dont spar with your buddies, drill technique.

sorry guys, I forgot to mention: i have a few cousins who boxed professionally. If i could get one of them to coach me once a week in addition to going to MMA, would that be of benefit?

does it have to be MMA?
is there a good BJJ, Boxing/kickboxing, Kyokushin or other good karate like Goju nearby closer?

Wow. I train boxing every single day of my life, I'm also a teen. I went through having shoulder surgery, rehabilitation and all that also.

it all depends on what you really want to achieve in the sport. if you want to be the best at mma then you have to train hard and learn every single day. even if it's at your house, you just have to get tired, and learn. (I would suggest actually going to a gym)

if you are just going it to stay in shape then 2 times a week is the minimum.

Wow. I train boxing every single day of my life, I'm also a teen. I went through having shoulder surgery, rehabilitation and all that also.

it all depends on what you really want to achieve in the sport. if you want to be the best at mma then you have to train hard and learn every single day. even if it's at your house, you just have to get tired, and learn. (I would suggest actually going to a gym)

if you are just going it to stay in shape then 2 times a week is the minimum.

Well you seem to be knowledgeable. I of course want to train at home as often as possible, and I would be working out in a regular routine. Is self-training at home worthwhile provided I am attending classes anyway?

does it have to be MMA?
is there a good BJJ, Boxing/kickboxing, Kyokushin or other good karate like Goju nearby closer?

there is a few boxing gyms nearby, but I don't know if you could define them as very good. I live in a remote part of Ireland, so its difficult to find quality instruction thats accessible :(

Well you seem to be knowledgeable. I of course want to train at home as often as possible, and I would be working out in a regular routine. Is self-training at home worthwhile provided I am attending classes anyway?
Yes.

Working on your own allows you to better understand what you learn in class.

You do homework for your classes, right? sure the

An awful lot of martial arts classes is exercise and repetition.

Even if you can't be in class, you can still progress going only one day a week by training alone every day. You can exercise and practice repetitions of punches, kicks and combinations. You can shadow box. You can buy a heavy bag and hit it. You can run and lift weights.

That's a lot - if you supplement one day of class with it, you will advance.

An awful lot of martial arts classes is exercise and repetition.

Even if you can't be in class, you can still progress going only one day a week by training alone every day. You can exercise and practice repetitions of punches, kicks and combinations. You can shadow box. You can buy a heavy bag and hit it. You can run and lift weights.

That's a lot - if you supplement one day of class with it, you will advance.

thanks for the reply :)
How much would you recommend i train my MA every day?

thanks for the reply :)
How much would you recommend i train my MA every day?

A good BJJ instructor I used to have thought that 15 hours a week was about good. I think that Olympic boxers do like 18. I think 12 is acceptable, but I'm fat.

Imagine 30 to 60 minutes of cardio every day. This can be running, walking, jump rope, bike, whatever. Walking is perfectly acceptable if that's what you can do. Sprints once a week take less time. Jumping rope for just a few minutes to start is good. Build up to 15 is probably enough. 30 if you are highly motivated.

Lift weights or do circuits for strength 2-3 times per week.

Fifteen separate 3 minute rounds with 1 minute rests takes 60 minutes.

3 Rounds of Shadow Boxing
3 Rounds of Heavy Bag
3 Rounds of Supplemental Exercises like speed bag, maize bag, whatever
6 Rounds of specific technique training, like side kicks for 3 minutes, then hook kicks for 3 minutes. A few of those rounds could be combos. Try to go faster for the last 30 seconds of each round.

Finish with yoga / stretching for a solid 15 to 20 minutes. Don't make this part a workout.

This is basically how I do, but I'm not a competitor, I just like sparring with them.

Getting to your 12 hours is a lot faster if you are going to class. Days I go to class, hit the gym and have a private lesson, I might do 4 hours in a day. You really don't want to load to much training into one day though if it means you won't do anything on later days.

Good luck.

Ok, ignore me, fuck you farang.

I'll kick your head off payak style.

A good BJJ instructor I used to have thought that 15 hours a week was about good. I think that Olympic boxers do like 18. I think 12 is acceptable, but I'm fat.

Imagine 30 to 60 minutes of cardio every day. This can be running, walking, jump rope, bike, whatever. Walking is perfectly acceptable if that's what you can do. Sprints once a week take less time. Jumping rope for just a few minutes to start is good. Build up to 15 is probably enough. 30 if you are highly motivated.

Lift weights or do circuits for strength 2-3 times per week.

Fifteen separate 3 minute rounds with 1 minute rests takes 60 minutes.

3 Rounds of Shadow Boxing
3 Rounds of Heavy Bag
3 Rounds of Supplemental Exercises like speed bag, maize bag, whatever
6 Rounds of specific technique training, like side kicks for 3 minutes, then hook kicks for 3 minutes. A few of those rounds could be combos. Try to go faster for the last 30 seconds of each round.

Finish with yoga / stretching for a solid 15 to 20 minutes. Don't make this part a workout.

This is basically how I do, but I'm not a competitor, I just like sparring with them.

Getting to your 12 hours is a lot faster if you are going to class. Days I go to class, hit the gym and have a private lesson, I might do 4 hours in a day. You really don't want to load to much training into one day though if it means you won't do anything on later days.

Good luck.

Thanks, i appreciate it :)

?

Your last post didn't look complete, so I was waiting to see if you'd edit it.

Now you're making fun of my english?

Sorry, I was abandoned and raised to be a thai boxer, not a professor.

Back