How many rounds did Cruz win against Garbrandt?

That fight was the last time Cruz looked like Cruz. Cody is a insane hitter at 135 and has supersonic hands. Cejudo fight Cruz looked awful. His level changes were way weaker than before.

Don't kid yourself. Cruz landed some little pitter patter strikes, but it was a one sided fight. Garbrandt besmirched him.

Yep fans like this are the reason there are such bad decisions all the time. I would not even call that striking what Cruz did most of the time, just playing touch up with no force at all..
Its an abomination of MMA. Compared to that Malignaggi was the ultimate puncher in boxing.

Rounds 1 and 2 were super close, and they could be scored either way without too much controversy. Round 5 was for Cruz. 3 and 4 were clearly for Garbrandt though, since he got knockdowns.

So yeah, it's entirely possible to score anything from 1 to 3 rounds for Cruz. Personally, I scored it 3-2 Garbrandt on my first watch but watching it back a few months ago, I could easily see people scoring it 3-2 Cruz, however, Garbrandt had at a 10-8 round in there. At best for Cruz, you could actually score the fight a draw, which seems kinda insane considering that Cody's rounds were more clear than the ones Cruz won. Just goes to show that judging needs some reforms. I'd like to see more scale in judging. 10-9 should only be for super close rounds such as rounds 1 and 2 of this fight. Whereas if a fighter definitely won a round, it should be 10-8. Basically, I think that our current 10-9s should be 10-8s, and that should scale all the way down. Then we can make room to score super close rounds as 10-9. That way, this fight and others would be way easier to score.
I think it benifit from adding something like a 10-9.5 round when a fighter has the slightest of edges, then a 10-9 when you see a clear winner, and 10-8 for dominant.
In this fight ex cruz probably won 3 rounds at 10-9.5 to a 10-8 and 10-9, cody 48.5-48.

Also the .5 point could help with alot of fouls .5 for a minor foul and 1 point for a bad foul.

Garbrandt going down from a Cruz left hook in Rd 2 was what sold me on him having a glass chin.

The fight wasn't nearly as uncompetitive as people make it seem.

Munhoz starches that version of Garbrandt too

LOOOOOOOL who the fuck are you people? Cruz did not win a single round in that right LOL. He got schooled from bell to bell. hahahahahaha. Sherdog never fails to make me laugh.

He didn’t look that bad, its just that he started getting knocked down too easily and instead of shrugging it off he just fell into Cody’s taunt game. It’s rare to see Cruz react to whatever taunt his opponent does, he is the one usually initiating that bullshit but in this fight he was clearly affected by the situation, it all went downhill from there, nothing happened for him and tattooman dictated the fight and even ended up looking like a hero by out taunting and out bullshitting the bullshitter.

I would still think Cruz wins a decision if they ever were to rematch

Def a closer fight than people remember, I remember rewatching it and being surprised at how different it is from what I thought happened when initially watching.

The Knockdowns overshadowed the rest of the fight, if I recall Cruz even hurt Cody once or twice.

Cruz was outstriking Cody in that fight, but due to Cody's knockdown and taunts, people think it was a one sided slaughter.
Doesn't matter cody had the shots that actually did damage and knockdowns

Rounds 1 and 2 were super close, and they could be scored either way without too much controversy. Round 5 was for Cruz. 3 and 4 were clearly for Garbrandt though, since he got knockdowns.

So yeah, it's entirely possible to score anything from 1 to 3 rounds for Cruz. Personally, I scored it 3-2 Garbrandt on my first watch but watching it back a few months ago, I could easily see people scoring it 3-2 Cruz, however, Garbrandt had at a 10-8 round in there. At best for Cruz, you could actually score the fight a draw, which seems kinda insane considering that Cody's rounds were more clear than the ones Cruz won. Just goes to show that judging needs some reforms. I'd like to see more scale in judging. 10-9 should only be for super close rounds such as rounds 1 and 2 of this fight. Whereas if a fighter definitely won a round, it should be 10-8. Basically, I think that our current 10-9s should be 10-8s, and that should scale all the way down. Then we can make room to score super close rounds as 10-9. That way, this fight and others would be way easier to score.
Exactly. This is why 10-7 rounds should be more common. If you get dropped multiple times and nearly finished, the judging should reflect it. Otherwise you get a close fight score wise because the opponent skated a close win in uneventful rounds and the total scoring reflects that.

Yeah it's outrageous that people said Cruz was outstriking Cody lol. Who was landing the better strikes? Clearly Cody. Cruz only won rounds because Cody took those rounds off which was smart.

Back