How Many People Currently Train BJJ in the US? Worldwide?

anaconda

Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
@Gold
Reaction score
I've thought about this question frequently but its a tough one to estimate. The recent thread on percentage to make it to black belt made me reconsider it once more.

Thoughts?

My guess is no more than 100k people actively train BJJ in North America. And maybe double that worldwide - but then when I stop and think about it, it seems really low. That's based on a little bit of inference and a lot of straight guessing. I'm interested to hear what you guys think.

ibjjf fan page has like 200k. So I'd say like 500k have tried, watched,done, are doing bjj

I've thought about this question frequently but its a tough one to estimate. The recent thread on percentage to make it to black belt made me reconsider it once more.

Thoughts?

My guess is no more than 100k people actively train BJJ in North America. And maybe double that worldwide - but then when I stop and think about it, it seems really low. That's based on a little bit of inference and a lot of straight guessing. I'm interested to hear what you guys think.

I would bet North America has equal to the rest of the world combined.

You mean US scene is bigger than the Brazilian ? I can understand that Th3 31337 went to the US because of money but what about the sheer number of average jujiteiro ?

The math is pretty simple if you're willing to take in some assumptions.

The assumption we make is that 5-10% of the people in a BJJ gym actually competes in tournaments.

So if you take the competitor list for all of the major IBJJF tournaments, sort out the domestic competitors to the foreign ones and do a UNIQUE on the name in Excel, you should get a pretty close number of the competitors.

So take that number and divide it by .1 or .05. That should get you your number.

Brazil probably has about 10 x more practitioner than north america buddy...

Or are you all not including brazil on these estimates?

Brazil probably has about 10 x more practitioner than north america buddy...

Or are you all not including brazil on these estimates?

Hey there buddy, THE UNITED STATES OF 'MURRICA is the greatest country in the world! Don't you forget it! USA! USA! USA!

I doubt the US has anything like the same number of practitioners as everywhere else combined. Probably the same number as Europe. Americans have a thing about being "the biggest".

Hey there buddy, THE UNITED STATES OF 'MURRICA is the greatest country in the world! Don't you forget it! USA! USA! USA!

I doubt the US has anything like the same number of practitioners as everywhere else combined. Probably the same number as Europe. Americans have a thing about being "the biggest".

I'm not sure about the Brazil, but I'm pretty confident that the US has more BJJ than the entire Europe... I guess it's because European are too busy to be awesome in judo and thus in Europe judo cater more people than BJJ.

That figure seems correct because many find it too hard to study and then there's the injuries most receive while training lowering the number significantly.

I'm not sure about the Brazil, but I'm pretty confident that the US has more BJJ than the entire Europe... I guess it's because European are too busy to be awesome in judo and thus in Europe judo cater more people than BJJ.

I agree the US has more then Europe. Having lived in london and done a BJJ trip to california I was shocked at the difference in the amount of students in the average european academy(I also went to rome and milan to train for a bit) and the average non famous academy in california.

Yeah I feel the same way - so if its 100k in the US, another 100k worldwide.

lol, way more in Brazil, wouldnt be surprised if there are atleast a million practicioners/or have practiced

i was at akxe a few weeks and I saw kids classes w over 40 kids, en then adults going up to 50 in the advanced class, and that were all different people then those that showed up at noon. there are so many kids training in brazil its not even funny anymore, imagine not giving candy when the play trick or treat and they freaking flying armbar you

I dont care about being the biggest. I dont even like living in America. Look at the number of Americans competing at blue belt in the pans then look at the total number of competitors at brazilian nationals. Hint: one has 10x more competitors.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but the Chinese national BJJ tournaments and the All-China Abu Dhabi pro trials have fewer competitors than a typical inter-gym invitational tourney in any given town in Utah.

That probably holds true for most other countries except Brazil.

I dont care about being the biggest. I dont even like living in America. Look at the number of Americans competing at blue belt in the pans then look at the total number of competitors at brazilian nationals. Hint: one has 10x more competitors.

Buddy, we're not talking about amount of competitors in x or y competition. Of course Brazil has more practitioners. I would say 5 to 10 x more.

Jiu jitsu is spread throughout brazil, through all states, ranging from tiny towns to the largest cities, and going through every social class. Actually, its probably 20x or 30 x times more... Bjj is a punctual thing in north america.. or a multiple points thing. Its not wide spread

There may be more people training in Brazil than the US, but that's debatable. I would say there are more black belts in brazil, but more blue belts in the US. So in a few years the US will definitely have more people training total.

So is there any way to arrive at a semi logical number? Come on, I know there are some consultants in here that can come up with something reasonable.

There are probably more people training in the US now. Keep in mind many people in Brazil still live in poverty and BJJ is a luxury most can't afford. Also BJJ has been in the US for a while now. Just think about how many people have received their brown/black in that short amount of time and how many of them have opened up their own schools. The growth is exponential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back