• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How many of you guys have a herniated disc?

L4-L5 and L5-S1. The L5-S1 is completely degenerated with a extruded disc (i.e. bulge that has mushroomed).

I've had it for years and it's gradually gotten worse. About 4.5 years back I had to completely stop BJJ as I could barely walk or get out of bed after one session. I ended up getting multiple rounds of steroid injections which actually made it worse and gave me sciatica as well. All up I was out for 2 years.

I finally started doing pilates regularly after advice from several doctors and everything improved dramatically after 3 months. I've been back at BJJ for 2.5 years now, and I continue to do pilates 2x a week. I haven't had any significant issues since being back, but I'm just much more careful about how I train. No big throws, I give up the pass when being stacked, etc... Sleep, rehab and healthy eating are very important to keep training regularly.

I saw some people posted how they got injured (Deadlifts, etc), but for the rest did you have catastrophic injuries or did it build up over time?

This thread is super scary.

Everyone in this thread needs to read everything and anything by Dr. Stu Mcgill. Specifically his book "the back mechanic". Get diagnosed with imaging and then use that book to the best of your abilities. There is probably an 80% chance you can over come the injury (depending on how severe) by some simple lifestyle/exercise alterations and smart programming. Seriously i know it seems bleak but herniation's are not a life sentence.

My lower back pretty much fused together and my cervical disc are starting to have DDD. I am assuming it's going to degrade and look like it fused together in a complex when I turn 50

Back