How many MMA fighters globally?

Aegon Spengler

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
So I did some google searching, and I was wondering if Sherdog agrees with these numbers.

What I’m wondering is: how many fighters are there (pro and amateur) and how many total people are involved in MMA. Also want to compare Vs Boxing Vs KickBoxing Vs Thai Fighting

Google says:

“There are approximately 20,000 active professional boxers and over 1,000 professional MMA athletes in the world, according to figures from Boxrec, UFC, Bellator, and the World Series of Fighting.”

So there are 20,000 boxers and only “over 1000” MMA fighters. That is interesting.

It’s hard to find info on the others, but I’m going to guess there are at least 30,000 people involved in boxing if you include trainers and amateurs. Given how popular Thai Fighting is in Thailand I’m going to guess there’s at least 10 thousand Thai fighters (pro and amateur).

When it comes to MMA, the numbers seem to barely get up above 2,000 people globally.

Is MMA really that tiny compared to boxing and Thai Fighting?

Or is it that it draws from multiple talent pools and is just a bizarre patchwork tournament sport that added ranks with belts?

So I did some google searching, and I was wondering if Sherdog agrees with these numbers.

What I’m wondering is: how many fighters are there (pro and amateur) and how many total people are involved in MMA. Also want to compare Vs Boxing Vs KickBoxing Vs Thai Fighting

Google says:

There are approximately 20,000 active professional boxers and over 1,000 professional MMA athletes in the world, according to figures from Boxrec, UFC, Bellator, and the World Series of Fighting.

So there are 20,000 boxers and only “over 1000” MMA fighters. That is interesting.

It’s hard to find info on the others, but I’m going to guess there are at least 30,000 people involved in boxing if you include trainers and amateurs. Given how popular Thai Fighting is in Thailand I’m going to guess there’s at least 10 thousand Thai fighters (pro and amateur).

When it comes to MMA, the numbers seem to barely get up above 2,000 people globally.

Or is it that it draws from multiple talent pools and is just a bizarre patchwork tournament sport that added ranks with belts?
Wtf did u google to get those numbers… how r u sane enough to believe them is beyond me…

I can tell you that there are way over 200,000 MMA fighters registered on Sherdog Fight Finder.

And in order to be listed on Fight Finder, you have to be an active fighter (can’t be retired fighters)

So you would say there are over 200,000 MMA fighters + x number of amateur and trainers? Then maybe you get to 400-500k people directly involved in the sport globally? That makes more sense to me than the 1k number

Last edited:
Wtf did u google to get those numbers… how r u sane enough to believe them is beyond me…

Well I didn’t believe them, that’s why I made the thread. If you’re such a groundhog expert then go find better numbers and post them

*Tree fiddy
Ash_Tree_-_geograph.org.uk_-_590710.jpg

6f0da41419b31d9d2ba55d2df212f59ad0668118

Google says:

“There are approximately 20,000 active professional boxers and over 1,000 professional MMA athletes in the world, according to figures from Boxrec, UFC, Bellator, and the World Series of Fighting.”

Whatever number is published, add another 171k to it, as that's the number of Sherdoggers, because we all trane teh UFC and has a non sanctioned 400-0 MMA record

<{UberTS}>

Screenshot_20220114-141855_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Those numbers seem low for boxing and MMA.

Without doing any research, I'll guess there's probably 20-30,000 pro fighters around the world at any point in time, and maybe around triple the amount of amateurs. Coaches, promoters, etc, not sure. Different promotions have varying levels of staff involved, and gyms might have one coach or dozens. I'll guess that the total MMA industry personnel count is around 250,000 global.

Without doing any research, I'll guess there's probably 20-30,000 pro fighters around the world at any point in time, and maybe around triple the amount of amateurs. Coaches, promoters, etc, not sure. Different promotions have varying levels of staff involved, and gyms might have one coach or dozens. I'll guess that the total MMA industry personnel count is around 250,000 global.

Basically from this thread I've learned that the MMA community pretty much has no idea how many people compete in MMA, lol. That staff guy said there's a bunch on fight finder and then left immediately lmao, couldn't answer one follow up question.

Weird sport.

Reactions: G10
Back