How many lower belts are better than you at your academy?

The Bomb

White Belt
Reaction score
There are quite a few blue belts that tap me more than I tap them. ( I am a purple belt). Most of these guys are either younger,bigger,better,more consistent in there training.

Are there any lower belts at your academy that tap you more than you tap them?

I'm a blue belt who does most of the tapping of the higher belts. I'm relatively smaller than most of the people I train with, but younger and more athletic. Idk about most schools but promotions depend on the individual. My instructor doesn't have the same standards of a 57 year old as he does me. If you got promoted even though your not better than the blue belt who didn't, it doesn't matter. Reasons very, so don't worry about it.

Our competitors are held to a higher standard than are recreational practitioners.

That shouldn't be unless you are much older, much smaller or much more injured.

There are quite a few blue belts that tap me more than I tap them. ( I am a purple belt). Most of these guys are either younger,bigger,better,more consistent in there training.

Stop worrying about others. Just become a black belt version of yourselves.

I'm just a white belt so my opinion probably does not mean much to you. Its possible but are you a new purple? There are blues out there who are really purple belt skill wise. Plus you grow into your belt level.

There are newer white belts coming in to my school who are just as good or a bit better than me, my ego tells me I should be better than them. But then I realize I come from a non-athletic background so I learn and develop at my own pace and a lot of these guys have prior athletic or training experience so they have an advantage.

Here is a story...a blue belt told me the other day "don't take it personally if he goes a little rough on me as a white belt" because he was mad another white belt tap him the other day...I said who tapped you, he said 'so and so', I said him, don't take it personally because he has a wrestling background. And on top of all this I was looking at facebook and him and his was also training at an affiliate school.

In a nut shell you don't know what prior experience the other person has and what they are doing training wise on their off time to get better while you may be playing video games, watching tv, or at work.

Some of the huge white belts can tap me( I'm a green belt, cause I'm just under 16.) they've got like 60lbs on me though. Other than that, no.

Athletic ability, strength, size, how hard someones trying, age, injuries, training consistency, etc. all come into play in training. Leave your ego at the door and train. Its not about who taps who in practice. Its about how much you are progressing your own game and having fun. If I do not get tapped I am doing something wrong because even against new guys I should be putting myself into vulnerable positions to practice them, not using anything from my A game.

That shouldn't be unless you are much older, much smaller or much more injured.

Not necessarily. A gym purple belt is very different from a competitive purple belt.

I'd say one of our brown belts (due for black) is considerably better than me. He's really good, and super good training partner. But most male brown belts (unless very close to my size) really don't have too many problems training with me.

Stop worrying about others. Just become a black belt version of yourselves.

^^^ Perfect Quote...

Train the lower belts to compete against your level now and when they get to you level you are now they will repeat the processes... Each one teach one..

I train my white belts to compete as blue and our purple and brown belts train me to compete with them. the endless cycle. so if they are beating you.. dont feel bad about yourself.. Its just means your doing something right then...

I'm a new blue belt and there is a white belt who taps me more than I tap him. He is much younger, very strong and explosive and dedicated.
I'm not happy when it happens of course but he's a very nice and respectful guy so not big deal.

Not necessarily. A gym purple belt is very different from a competitive purple belt.

That's not really the same thing. There are always those couple of outliers on the team to get the medals, but it's always a couple of guys.

If everyone in the gym is a competition white/blue/etc, than that is the gym standard and the question becomes why is there one colored belt who is clearly below par. Did he get the belt from a different school? Was he promoted out of pity (or dedication, whichever sounds nicer) , or was is the person in question really not THAT bad and simply overstating how much he sucks.

My guess is the last one.

I've been a blue belt since August, and there are still 3-4 white belts that can tap me. They're all 4-stripe whites, all younger, bigger, and more athletic. A couple of them had prior grappling experience before joining our dojo. Doesn't bother me, they just have a better offensive game than I do at this stage...it takes a very long time for them to get a tap, and if I can get to top position it's game over.

I am a purple belt and there are a couple of blue belts that have tapped me, one of which usually does tap me if we go long enough. He's also about 50 pounds heavier, 7 inches taller, and a full time MMA fighter so he's very strong as well (not to mention he's a very skilled blue belt). The other one is about 80 pounds heavier and also a very tough blue. So yeah, lower belts can certainly tap you. But really, who cares? We're all smart enough to recognize why these things might happen.

Green is a glorified white belt brah.

No "glorified" about it, green is a youth rank equivalent to 4-stripe white belt. However, if he's getting tapped by lower ranked youths or new adult whites, his point is valid.

It makes no goddamn sense to compare yourself to anyone but an earlier version of yourself

Back