• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

How many here actually know how to drive?

People who either slow down all the way to turn or turn on green arrows at 5 MPH are the bane of my existence. Noticing it a lot more these days, not sure if drivers are getting worse or I'm getting grumpier.
Ya that is a good one.

One of the most dangerous things I have come across is the timid highway merger.

As we all know (or should) when you are entering a highway in the onramp lane you are supposed to get up to highway speeds before entering the flow of traffic. Most onramp lanes give more than sufficient length and time to do so.

Every once in a while you get behind the timid driver and they start off high on the ramp trying to get up to speed but as they come down the ramp and approach traffic they are continually slowing down as they get nervous. The situation gets worse and worse as the speed of the traffic is increasing relative to their speed now making it harder for them to get in.

There is an extreme even beyond that which I have got stuck behind twice where the person gets so nervous they actually STOP on the onramp and then put on their signal indicating they want to be let in and waiting for a big enough break in the traffic which is still problematic as they don't get up to speed quick enough to not force rapid deceleration of those coming up.

I've only had that happen in front of me twice but seen it from the highway at least one other time.

Don't be stubborn for stubborn sake and read them carefully.

Most of them specifically say its not just for traffic moving below the speed limit. the concept is 'you stay left' unless you passing.

You are simply wrong that you are supposed to jsut sit in the left lane for cruising even when you can move over. You were also wrong saying passing on the right is ok.

How do you know the guy behind you does not want to pass? Is he supposed to flash his lights each time?

Even when there is zero traffic you are not supposed to drive in the left lane.

BUt I think unfortunately you are doing the sherdog thing of digging in here and so won't concede this so I won't spend much more time on it. I challenge you however to tell me what State and City you live in and to google and find a driving School in your area. I will call them today (or you can if you think I will lie) and I will ask them the question. I guarantee you they will say its either the LAW or the EXPECTATION that you stay right except to pass.
I read the law for California, which is where I live. It says nothing of the sort. I’m not digging in. I’m simply stating that, despite what the law says, that shit is an inefficient use of the road. As such, nobody abides by such laws, which don’t exist in California anyway. And people who know how to drive don’t tailgate as that other motherfucker implied they should. This is the central thesis of everything I have said in the thread. Now, maybe Canada has some weird law where you must stay in the right lane except to pass, or only be in the left lane if you plan to turn left. So I can definitely say I was wrong about that. But if you look at most of those laws from the US, they specifically state that slower traffic must stay to the right. Not that you can only pass on the left, except Colorado and maybe some other exceptions.

My main thing is the tailgating that the other guy implied you should do by way of saying “it’s your fault if there is space between you and the car in front of you.” Everyone thinks they are special - that they are somehow above average drivers and have quicker reaction time than anyone else. And those same assholes read end people and then cry about it.

Additionally, notice that at of the states in which you use the left lane only to pass are mostly rural. That’s because driving in such a manner is in fact an inefficient use of the roads. The difference is, in places with a lot of traffic, that actually matters. Not places like Kansas.

That’s a bit deceptive. The US keep right laws are for slower traffic. That hardly means only use the left lane for passing. Everyone knows slower traffic is to keep right. But you can cruise in the left lane. You don’t simply move over to the left only to pass, then move back over to the right lane, as everyone here is advocating. In fact, the other guy was saying you only go into the left lane to turn, which is absolutely retarded.

You are only suppose to pass in the left lane...period. If I'm going 5 mph than you in the right lane and you're just driving along in the left lane like a moron and someone in front is going even slower, now I have to figure out what I want to do. Do I want to get behind you in the left lane hoping you get it and move over or do I want to illegally pass on the right somehow in the next lane over? If everyone got out of the left lane, it makes driving a lot easier and it allows MUCH smoother traffic flow.

You clearly have no clue.

I read the law for California, which is where I live. It says nothing of the sort. I’m not digging in. I’m simply stating that, despite what the law says, that shit is an inefficient use of the road. As such, nobody abides by such laws, which don’t exist in California anyway. And people who know how to drive don’t tailgate as that other motherfucker implied they should. This is the central thesis of everything I have said in the thread. Now, maybe Canada has some weird law where you must stay in the right lane except to pass, or only be in the left lane if you plan to turn left. So I can definitely say I was wrong about that. But if you look at most of those laws from the US, they specifically state that slower traffic must stay to the right. Not that you can only pass on the left, except Colorado and maybe some other exceptions.

My main thing is the tailgating that the other guy implied you should do by way of saying “it’s your fault if there is space between you and the car in front of you.” Everyone thinks they are special - that they are somehow above average drivers and have quicker reaction time than anyone else. And those same assholes read end people and then cry about it.

You are digging in looking to rationalize anything you read to your view.

Here is what the summary for California says in the link I provided.

"The duty of slower traffic to keep right applies "notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits."

That is pretty clear. It says the DUTY for you is to keep right regardless of the speed limit and your speed relative to it.

it does not say 'don't worry about it if you are flowing with traffic', it does not say 'don't worry about it if traffic is thin or thick'. It plainly states your duty is to keep right. KEEP being the key word there. You are supposed to be in the right by default and only move out to do things like pass.

You can keep proclaiming it is an inefficient use of the roads but the reason these laws pop up, especially in the States and Provinces with the heaviest traffic is because its inefficient and dangerous when guys do not practice the stay right rule. It causes cars to back up and creates artificial traffic congestion as cars bunch up in groups unable to flow around the cars at the front refusing to move over.

You are digging in looking to rationalize anything you read to your view.

Here is what the summary for California says in the link I provided.

"The duty of slower traffic to keep right applies "notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits."

That is pretty clear. It says the DUTY for you is to keep right regardless of the speed limit and your speed relative to it.

it does not say 'don't worry about it if you are flowing with traffic', it does not say 'don't worry about it if traffic is thin or thick'. It plainly states your duty is to keep right. KEEP being the key word there. You are supposed to be in the right by default and only move out to do things like pass.

You can keep proclaiming it is an inefficient use of the roads but the reason these laws pop up, especially in the States and Provinces with the heaviest traffic is because its inefficient and dangerous when guys do not practice the stay right rule. It causes cars to back up and creates artificial traffic congestion as cars bunch up in groups unable to flow around the cars at the front refusing to move over.

EXACTLY... this is one of the main reasons behind traffic when there shouldn't be traffic. It's people driving random speeds in random lanes and drivers just cruising in the passing lane. I see it EVERY time I drive on the highway. It literally will slow everyone down except the slowest driver on the road.

I don't. I'm a horrible driver. The day automation takes over driving will be a big day for me and I can't wait for it to come.

There are typically two aspects to the stay right laws. The first is the aspect of driving below the speed limit and the requirement to stay right except when passing.

However the second does not involve driving below the speed limit and is specific to just impeding the traffic flow which is noted in (b) below from the California traffic act.

So then @Jack Reacheround would argue with regards to point (b) that what constitutes 'impeding traffic' or 'driving below the speed', and the answer to that is that people are getting backed up behind you. You do not get to assume everyone behind you who you are prohibiting from passing 'just wants to go my speed anyway so all is good'. If you do assume that I again refer you to the age old meme above.

ARTICLE 1. Driving on Right Side [21650 - 21664]
( Article 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

(a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation of subdivision (a) of this section.

EXACTLY... this is one of the main reasons behind traffic when there shouldn't be traffic. It's people driving random speeds in random lanes and drivers just cruising in the passing lane. I see it EVERY time I drive on the highway. It literally will slow everyone down except the slowest driver on the road.
Yup. its also one of my pet peeves. I call it Traffic Pods. And it is one of the most common problems on the highway.

The highway is somewhat clear with large open spaces or road until you come up on one of these pods. An area that can be a mile long where you have a group of cars all driving in their own falsely created little mini congestion. Why? Because at the front are a few cars driving similar speeds and not passing that are not allowing for other cars to pass. Other cars being polite to not want to push in to the spaces, moving both right and left to weave through the traffic and if they do the guys creating the traffic often get angry thinking they are crazy.

I actually had this happen just about a month ago when I had to take my mom to a doctors appointment two hours away in London Ontario. A relatively quiet stretch of highway. Every time I came upon a pod I would weave my way through and my poor mum would get nervous asking why I would just not flow with this traffic. I told her this is artificial traffic. It should not be this way but a few cars are forcing this back up and this is the most dangerous place to be. In an otherwise open road why would you want to be in a group of cars where if something happens it will likely involve one or more cars due to this fake close proximity.

What is wrong with high beams? Have you driven on a country road at night? That few extra moments can make a big difference in whether you hit a deer, boar, or other object. Also, with deer the high beams are more likely to "freeze" them on the shoulder than having them dart into the road.
In the post you quoted from me, it says i use them on dark roads

What is wrong with high beams? Have you driven on a country road at night? That few extra moments can make a big difference in whether you hit a deer, boar, or other object. Also, with deer the high beams are more likely to "freeze" them on the shoulder than having them dart into the road.

Yeah, that's fine but morons around here use them in the city around traffic so they blind everyone.

You are just factually wrong on that.

Most traffic codes require to "Stay left accept to pass". You actually won't aass your drivers test if you don't.

Some years ago we had two guys in Ontario protesting that the police do not enforce that law and that it causes so much congestion on the highway as the flow is impeded by guys refusing to move out of the passing lane. They decided to protest by going exactly the speed limit and driving side by side on a major highway impeding traffic. What they were doing was the legal speed limit so the police had nothing on them there but they cited them for dangerous driving for impeding the traffic flow in not moving over. Ironic as that is what the guys were protesting the cops never do to others.

<RomeroSalute>
the real MVP's

Sweet! I wish more cars would pull over cars for doing that.
it's such a simple concept that so many have trouble following and then it results in traffic jams everywhere. Untold manhours of productivity lost to these oblivious idiots.

<RomeroSalute>
the real MVP's

Ya this nails it 100%.

You get guys who honestly think that because they are at the front of a line of traffic in the left lane and no one is trying to aggressively pass them and everyone is staying in file behind with good spacing that they are going with the flow of traffic and not impeding anyone.

but they are by default impeding everyone. Just because most people won't try and aggressively push through this artificial rolling traffic jam (accordion effect) does not mean they would not pass if you moved over. In fact they could not catch up to and create this artificial traffic jam if they were not going quicker than you until they caught up to you at which point they just matched your speed.

But again most times the guys creating the 'accordion effect' are completely oblivious to it, think they are driving great and simply have no clue of the issues they create behind them that the office mentioned. The 'many crashes' that are caused by this usually happen back in the traffic pack and don't involve them so they drive on oblivious to the damage they cause in their wake.

And you can bet that if someone pulls up behind them and gets aggressively close trying to let them know they want to be let through to pass that this person gets mad at that person. They think 'I am going fast enough and with the flow of traffic so f*ck you' and they either force the faster car to pass on the right or they move over very begrudgingly.

Last edited:
DgPHcLGV4AA2JS1.jpg

lol at gov't messages with humour trying to drive this point home.

Ya this nails it 100%.

You get guys who honestly think that because they are at the front of a line of traffic in the left lane and no is trying to aggressively pass them and everyone is staying in file behind with good spacing that they are going with the flow of traffic and not impeding anyone.

but they are by default impeding everyone. Just because most people won't try and aggressively push through this artificial rolling traffic jam (accordion effect) does not mean they would not pass if you moved over. In fact they could not catch up to and create this artificial traffic jam if they were not going quicker than you until they caught up to you.

But again most times the guys creating the 'accordion effect' are completely oblivious to it, think they are driving great and simply have no clue of the issues they create behind them that the office mentioned. The 'many crashes' that are caused by this usually happen back in the traffic pack and don't involve them so they drive on oblivious to the damage they cause in their wake.

And you can bet that if someone pulls up behind them and gets aggressively close trying to let them know they want to be let through to pass that this person gets mad at that person. They think 'I am going fast enough and with the flow of traffic so f*ck you' and they either force the faster car to pass on the right or they move over very begrudgingly.
I think the problem stems from driver's ed failing to emphasize WHY this is important. All they do is tell you left lane is for passing, and the majority of people forget it when they get their license. They are probably afraid of endorsing speeding- especially to new drivers. If people had more common sense then it wouldn't be an issue but alas...

Does parallel parking count? Cause I'm not good at it. Also I think that being alert and aware is as important if not more than driving skill.

I'm a very bad driver but I also don't enjoy driving (except driving go-karts, that's hella fun, and I did some ''redneck'' rallying once and that was also fun as hell).

Back