how many fights do you really need to get in the ufc?

BADBOYKILLA

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Sergio pettis is 11-1 now showing much promise but not even close to his older brother in experience and skill yet.. how many wins do you really need to be in that position I mean if you beat 10 nobody's , unranked fighters outside of the ufc does that mean your "worthy" of the ufc... ?

you're asking the wrong question, so no answer will be correct.

case in point, Weidman had 4 and Barao had 26.

Depends what weight class you are in. As a heavyweight, you don't need many fights at all given how shallow of a division it's always been. Cain only had 2 fights before signing his first UFC contract.

And you must have worked in Starbucks before even trying to get in the big league hue

It depends on a few criteria:

- How thin is the division you fight in
- What was the quality of your opposition
- Do they need a late replacement in the area you fight in? (this is how Weidman and Latifi got in)
- Do you have a lot of buzz about you (Cain had the reputation of a monster despite his lack of fights)
- Are you already a celebrity? (Brock fits in this category)

None of these criteria are a guarantee a guy will be great, or lackluster. Weidman came in as a late replacement and has torn it up since. Sokoudjou came in after beating tough competition and performed poorly.

you have to be able to sign your name in a legible manner, that's all

It depends upon the fighter. Some fighters are never ready; a few are good enough to make their professional debut in the UFC.

It's threads like this that make me laugh when I hear people saying someone like Arvloski doesn't deserve another fight in the UFC :)

You literally don't need a single fight if youre marketable enough.

Not so much the number of wins, but if there's a notable win within a win streak, often a former decent-to-good UFC or WEC fighter (like Chase Beebe or Sean Salmon, those names appear on some UFC newcomers resumes).

This often doesn't apply to HW, as there aren't that many good HW's around.

And also if a reputable gym tells Joe Silva & Dana that a guy is their top prospect.

just depends on who you are. it's a lot easier if youre accomplished in another combat sport. d1 wrestlers, adcc, kick boxing, boxing accolades. also depends on what weight class you're in, where you've fought your pro fights, the gym you train at etc.

Sergio pettis is 11-1 now showing much promise but not even close to his older brother in experience and skill yet.. how many wins do you really need to be in that position I mean if you beat 10 nobody's , unranked fighters outside of the ufc does that mean your "worthy" of the ufc... ?

The problem is the UFC's become so all-encompassing that there isn't a way to build the type of resume you want new fighters to build. "UFC-worthy" is a thing of the past, back when each weight class had 30 guys or less.

it is possible to get a title shot being 2-1 so why bother with this topic?

I think Amir sadaloh was 0-0 making his ufc debut

Matt Mitrione was 0-0 but he's a cashcow for UFC

If you train with a good gym that has notable fighters, it also opens the doors to the UFC easier.

Back