How long?

dsatt

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey fellas you may or may not remember that I started a BJJ class, and have been getting my ass handed to me several days a week. I am just curious about how long did you guys have to study the art before you weren't getting tapped on a regular basis. I am not asking to be inpatient, I am asking to see about when I should become more profiecent, in my last martial art (tang soo do) it took about 6 months before I was started stringing combos together and showing improvement, but i see already that in this one it could take considerably longer, I look forward to the journey. Any help you guys or advice you guys can give is greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance

About 2 years.

My Sherdog belt now matches my BJJ belt. Nice!

It depends on who you roll. I can wrestle the new guys all night and not tap but if I wrestle the gym owners or my instructors or the better guys in the gym, I'm in non-stop tap mode.

it was a couple of months before i started getting sort of ok at defending stuff, but it really does depend on who you wrestle

5-6 months is about what it took for me(now 7 months in). i sometimes get caught by better guys but ive noticed my defense is much better.

the real answer to this is...its up to you. remeber that there is alesson in everytime you tap.

You defense will develope in a few months, then your offense on top, followed by offense from your back. It is a long road, but keep at it!

LCDforMe said:
It depends on who you roll. I can wrestle the new guys all night and not tap but if I wrestle the gym owners or my instructors or the better guys in the gym, I'm in non-stop tap mode.

Yeh I'm like that too. Don't worry too much about being tapped.

You will probably tap, even as a blackbelt, to people ranked higher than you. Get used to it.

Just stick with it, and don't get so concerned with stupid shit like that. The reason it's hard is because the people you train with are either as good as or better than you. You have to realize these people are learning the same techniques as you, so they know what you are trying to do.

When the new groups of white belts come in and you start rolling with them, you'll see the difference in skill level right away. That's when you'll realize how much you've learned in such a short time.

It's like boxing in a way. You all learn the same punches, defense, and counters to these punches. This obviously makes it very hard to land a shot if you aren't setting it up by feinting, or using combos. In time, you'll be good enough to start setting up sweeps, subs, and combinations of moves, instead of just grabbing someone's arm and trying to kimura them.

the guys you roll with now (ones that have been training for a while before you started) may continue to tap you for the rest of your grappling career because they already got a big head start but you never know ... after a couple months you'll be able to dominate the new guys that join though and after a while there may be as many new guys as more experienced guys so you'll sorta even out i guess thats one way to look at it

just keep training hard, everytime you get tapped you should learn something thats the only way to do it

Just keep at it. You'll never stop tapping, because there'll always be someone better than you (or you should switch schools). If you had previous experience, this might be a legitimate question, but starting from scratch, you are far behind, and everyone will be developing. If you're the first one on and the last one off the mat, you may close the gap with some guys, but some will always be a few steps ahead. You might learn ot survive with them, that's the best I can hope for with my instructor or some of his top students, but I finally feel worthy to wear my blue belt again as I can roll on the offensive with the guys my own level (I took a long break after a surgery, and just got back into it in late July... Nearly four months jsut to get back ot my prior level, and I've been doing Judo and BJJ since 2000).

all are not the same level,back in the day-> against other newbies I could hold my own but not actually submit,it was more of a win of position, against sorta newbies I was told that I already had good hips and movement, against better folk...tapping was inevitable

I guess like 5 yrs.

because after I can beat most of the white belts pretty easily, I stopped rolling with them
even when I found out earlier that I could, I would just work on defense and limit myself
so I still got my ass worked.
now I train with the advanced guys and get my ass kicked.
main thing is to keep getting your butt handed to you, and still keep comming back for years
and years. then you are someone who is humble and has been in real wars.

always seek someone better than you, if not your a bully,
if you have to roll with someone not as good, help them, or help yourself by putting on
handicaps.

the trick is not the stop getting a beat. if that happens you're not training hard enough or with people good enough.

the trick is to leave you ego at the door and accept it has a valuable learning experience.

if i rolled all day with white belts i would never get my ass kicked but again i wouldn't be learnign as much as i could have.

its all relative... you will start tapping people below you and continue to tap to
people above you, hopefully less frequently... thats why bjj is great-- you can always improve
as done everyone around you.

Big Red said:
Yeh I'm like that too. Don't worry too much about being tapped.

There's no shame in tapping as long as you learn from it. That is what makes our sport so great....you don't have to be embarassed to lose because you know what you need to work on and you learn somthing from it.

about 6 with consistent training. even though on saturday i rolled with some good guys for the first time in like 3 months due to school and other shit and man i got my ass owned by the 1 guy that was there. bjj/sub wrestling is all about paitence you need to have it and not get discouraged

LCDforMe said:
There's no shame in tapping as long as you learn from it. That is what makes our sport so great....you don't have to be embarassed to lose because you know what you need to work on and you learn somthing from it.

Totally agree. Being submitted doesn't mean you lose. IMO BJJ is about trial & error, you try & put different pieces of information you know into patterns & have to see what works. When I got subbed I realise I've done a guard pass wrong or maybe the sweep I tried doing leaves me too open etc.

However, I got subbed by a kid who is slightly less experienced than me once. I got cocky & it hurt my heart bad. I got well hung up about it. I think I need another hobby to share my attention so I don't get so bummed about a bad session. :redface:

Back