How long does it take to get a BJJ black Belt? (hours)

Gotcha. I was comparing my own progress with yours and was a little disheartened at first! You've got way more mat time than I (a brown belt) have. I've dealt with "imposter syndrome" in the past with BJJ and professional roles too.

Even though I only have 1,700 hours of mat time, I try to feel good about being a brown belt. I recently did a BJJ Globetrotters camp and tapped 4 black belts, including the instructors. I'll tap regular Joe black belts but anyone who competes a lot, even at purple belt (world champions etc) I realllllly have a tough time with. Some purple belts absolutely destroy me, and I even got dominated and tapped twice by a regular Joe blue belt the other day.

Then again, I am not nearly as small of a human as you. I bet with your over 2,000 hours of mat time you probably know a lot more technique than I do. Me being a 200lb former powerlifter definitely helps a lot lmao

You should not compare, you have an athletic body with a good core strength so it helps you a lot to stand the harshness of the training and to progress quicker, I am sure you are a legit brown belt. I have more hours of training than you but as a lightfeather who got crushed by heavier guys and I am not so gifted despite having a background in Taekwondo I have to train more than the others to compensate the physical struggles. I have rolled with a purple belt world champion and he completely obliterates me. Recently I got dominated by a young very competitor blue belt who is half my age (I am forty) and I had to be in the defensive. Once I had a bad day and I did a mistake where a heavyweight blue belt managed to sub me with an armbar but it was a lesson for me.
The way I train and roll exposed me much more to get subbed in live rolling but it's necessary if I want to expand my game and be much more complete on the bottom, top, side and take back aspects.
regarding the "insposter syndrome", I have met it too but it makes us humble and willing to continue to train and it's much better than bragging a black belt from a shady mcdojo where you got your belt after very few hours of training barely sweating and wasting a huge amount of money.

Last edited:
I don't do much else except train in my free time.

Monday - 1.5 hours Freestyle Wrestling, 1 hour nogi BJJ
Tuesday - 2 hours BJJ, 1.5 hours Judo
Wednesday - 2 hours BJJ, 1.5 hours Judo
Thursday - 3 hours BJJ
Friday - 2 hours Judo
Saturday - 2 hours Judo

Then I do half an hour of kettlebells every other morning before work. I occasionally do anoher two hours of BJJ on Saturday and on national holidays do a 2 hour day class.

OK , what belt are you then?

It took me roughly 400 hours to get to blue belt. Then it took me roughly 940 hours to get to purple from blue where I am now. So as a new purple I've done around 1400 hours. Since getting purple my training has stopped due to covid which sucks. I think one thing that has massively helped my game was watching instructionals in my spare time. I have probably watched over 100 hours of footage and put it into my game. Although not as good as physical learning, it definitely helps.

I guess i would have been a black belt 3 years ago if i didnt move. Lol

It took me 1,916 mat hours over 11 years to get to black belt. I've logged every hour in the spreadsheet below.

It's a superb achievement counting the fact you became a father. At my side, I am at my 7 years and 8 months of training, I am a purple belt 2 stripes with 2350 hours of training currently (570 hours white belt, 922 hours blue belt, 860 hours purple belt currently). I am not a gifted specimen neither physically strong (lightfeather of 42 years old) so I had to put more amount of gym circuit trainings to overcome this physical weakness. Fortunately no serious injuries and still rolling competiting in masters div

It's a superb achievement counting the fact you became a father. At my side, I am at my 7 years and 8 months of training, I am a purple belt 2 stripes with 2350 hours of training currently (570 hours white belt, 922 hours blue belt, 860 hours purple belt currently). I am not a gifted specimen neither physically strong (lightfeather of 42 years old) so I had to put more amount of gym circuit trainings to overcome this physical weakness. Fortunately no serious injuries and still rolling competiting in masters div

Keep training hard man!!

Keep training hard man!!
I train intelligently and I manage my stamina if I do a lot of hours a week, I have the chance that I have a lot of technical teammates so they can go hard without spazzing, I hope you're fine despite the covid and you will be promoted black belt :)

The belt is just the color. What matter is the knowledge you've learned. There is no belt in wrestling, but you trained eyes can distinguishes between the casual and the elite.

Consistency is the key to everything deserving efforts.

Back