How long do you have to stay somewhere to claim you "lived" there?

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
So this chick I work with her and I talk quite a bit has had an impressive resume of places she has "lived". Spain, Rome, Germany, you name it. Always thought she was a military family or something. Well I finally asked her how long she lived in Rome and she said 3 weeks. That doesn't count as "living" there imo. I think it should be at least 6 months. Lol I think she just traveled Europe for a few months.

Last edited:
I don't know where the line is , but its def north of 3 weeks , that's a vacation. I'd say 3 months anyway

I would say 2 months. You definitely wouldn't stay in a holiday/hotel for 1 month onward, but I have stayed in places for a month, but wouldn't consider myself to have lived in either of those places.

I'd say 3 months anyway

This.

If you rent an apt in a building where people live for years, and work in the place -- I'd say that's good enough to call you a local citizen.

Last edited:
6 months to a year.

you have to acclimate to the new surroundings and start living like a local.

Three weeks is certainly not long enough. I would say 3 months is the minimum as well.

This.

If you rent an apt ina building where people live for years, and work int he place -- I'd say that's good enough to call you a local citizen.
Thought about the rent thing. That could be a good criteria too

you have to acclimate to the new surroundings and start living like a local.

It's funny I lived in Portland for a year and still don't feel like I "lived" there. Partly because I never settled in as I always thought i was leaving the next month and it kept not happening until I was there a year

I would say 2 months. You definitely wouldn't stay in a holiday/hotel for 1 month onward, but I have stayed in places for a month, but wouldn't consider myself to have lived in either of those places.
Agreed. Came to say stayed if for weeks, lived if for months.

I'd say 3-4 months; if you spend a semester in college studying abroad in a city that should count. But anything less is extended vacation territory.

I don't know about three months. Maybe if you signed a lease. I used to travel for work assignments spending up to 6 months at a location. Wouldn't say I lived there. Ask her if it was for work assignments or not or signed a lease. If she say no then she is lying and she owes you sex.
If this doesn't clear things up for you, ask your Mom and Dad. If their answers can't clarify things either then they owe you sex, which in turn means kill your Mom and fuck your Dad.

I'd say 3-4 months; if you spend a semester in college studying abroad in a city that should count. But anything less is extended vacation territory.

I agree. 3 months is about right. If you work a summer job in a city for 3 months between spring and fall semesters in college, it's fair to say you lived there.

Well she was alive and living there so I'd say she did technically live there

To live somewhere is to settle down, to establish yourself as a resident of a a place.

I just saw a film called Living On One Dollar about a group of young American adults who went to an impoverished village in Guatemala and lived there for two months. They became part of the local society, established themselves with the locals, farmed the land on a small scale...they can definitely say that they lived there. So there are three factors - the length of time they were there, that they set up a home in one place and didn't spend the whole time traveling around, and that they became involved in the community somewhat.

But if I had to go by minimum length of time before you can say you've lived somewhere, I'd probably choose 2 months. Less than two months is a "stay".

To live somewhere is to settle down, to establish yourself as a resident of a a place.

I just saw a film called Living On One Dollar about a group of young American adults who went to an impoverished village in Guatemala and lived there for two months. They became part of the local society, established themselves with the locals, farmed the land on a small scale...they can definitely say that they lived there. So there are three factors - the length of time they were there, that they set up a home in one place and didn't spend the whole time traveling around, and that they became involved in the community somewhat.

But if I had to go by minimum length of time before you can say you've lived somewhere, I'd probably choose 2 months.
I get what you're saying but two months still seems pretty short to me

Except for college students, you need to have changed the address on your drivers license.

Did she:

- Establish a postal address while there?
- Have to pay for a utility while there (including internet)?
- Earn a paycheck while there?
- Make a friend that she still communicates with while there?
- While there, did she ever answer the question: "Where do you live?" and answer it with a local address?
- Have to get a new driver's license while living there?

Three weeks is a vacation.

Back