How long before u can 'use' boxing.

Q mystic

Silver Belt
Reaction score
Generally, how long before somebody is good enuff to use boxing in an mma match. I mean, at four months of boxing I would just tell the guy to go in and just scrap because the boxing would not work for him yet. How long does it usually take before it would come together somewhat?

Even speaking generally, your question has no set answer. Everyone is so different that you cannot segment people into the "Can't use boxing because has only 4 months experience" demographic. What takes person A 8 months can take person B 2 months.

whenever you're used to using the techniques you've learned.

Q mystic said:
Generally, how long before somebody is good enuff to use boxing in an mma match. I mean, at four months of boxing I would just tell the guy to go in and just scrap because the boxing would not work for him yet. How long does it usually take before it would come together somewhat?
As long as you cut out the body jabs, ducks, rope leaning, not too long.

it just depends on ur mindset and ur ability to absorb and apply what u do, to be honest most people'a boxing is mediocre at best because they have not really trained it; so if u have actually trained (not just done pads/bagwork..but sparred), you can use it asap.
the biggest thing for most people in using any striking is u getting used to getting hit...or just have someone throwing shots at them...once u get comfortable getting hit or having punches thrown at u , the more eff u can/will be w/ur boxing.
Me personally i just started to use it in my sparring til i learned how to make it work, i had a certain style i felt was eff w/my body frame and physical abilities; i spent alot of time working on that on my off time and then tried to use those tech in sparring..
On a personal note i use alot of things people say u shouldn't when i spar..lead rights..carry lead hand low...jabs to the body..lead right to the body...slipping shots..parrying and using shoulder rolls to avoid punches etc...

Devante - That style has been around for years and has done very well on the World Stage in terms of Boxing. James Toney, Floyd Mayweather Jr., and countless Journeymen have done will with it.

It's only a matter of time before it translates to doing well in MMA, but half the stuff people suggest you not do in MMA can be done with the proper training up of timing, reflexes, accuracy, and speed.

nopardaid said:
As long as you cut out the body jabs, ducks, rope leaning, not too long.

Right on the money. My instructor trains with a Bruce Lee student and what Bruce was working on and what JKD had evolved to when he died was basically boxing with lots of footwork and efficiency for street fighting which means no changing stances, no spinning crap, very little trapping, grappling and alot of eye gouging and kicks to the balls.
That translates better to MMA than a guy like Tyson of whoever that has boxed for so long they develop too many bad habits.

go to tournaments, fight like you normally do. This will give you confidence, MMA isn't boxing, but if you grapple, kckbox and box, and go to all these tournaments, then learn to spar in an mma only camp, your hands will know how to hit guys, regardless of what you are doing.

Oh, as for time, no set time, but sparring lots and fighting lots will make it come faster.

once you learn it and practice it, u can use it.

Back