• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How is Tony Ferguson not a good matchup for Conor McGegor on paper ? Am I missing something

Tony fans think he can take down Conor because mendes could but they forgot that mendes is one of the best wrestler in UFC

NCAA division 1 wrestler Nathan Diaz took Conor down.

Tony is likely the best TUF contestant Ive ever seen thus far and he beats Conor like a savage. IMO

Ferg wins via submission tap to strikes

I think TJ might be the best TUF contestant.

Who the fuck knows what will happen. Heck maybe Conor picks up some bad habits from boxing and eats a kick to the face.

I seriously hate all these predictions, though.

Hilarious that anyone thinks Conor walks through Ferguson easily.

Unless Conor flat out KO's him (he's only done this ONE time in the UFC), he will have a very hard time beating Tony in a 5 round decision. He won't be able to submit Tony since he won't even attempt to follow him to the ground. His only chance is a one punch KO. Again, he has done this one time in the UFC. Add to that, the fact that Tony has never been KO'd in his career and has a granite chin, this is almost the least likely scenario if this fight happens.

What most likely happens, and ALL Conor fans deep down know this and fear this, is that Conor clips Tony a few times, but Tony easily recovers, smiles back, and keeps putting on the pressure. Conor wears down after 2 rounds and is visibly gassed, and Tony starts hitting him with combinations that eventually put him down. Tony follows him to the ground, and sinks in either a rear naked or a darce.

Here are some facts:

- Conor's weaknesses are guys with elite wrestling(like Chad Mendes) or good boxing defense(Nate). Tony has neither

- Tony gets hit clean on the chin pretty much every fight, he is wild. Guys like Kevin Lee and Lando dropped him, I can see McGregor doing the same

- Conor has only gassed against Nate when he was at 167 lbs and against Floyd, but that was after 7-8 rounds(20+ minutes) and Conor was pretty much doing all the work, Floyd carried him. Tony Ferguson cannot afford to take 4 rounds off before Conor slows down

- Tony certainly is durable, but people were saying the same about Eddie Alvarez ... you have a chin until you don't

- Tony is not that much bigger, Holloway and Poirier are about his size and Conor didnt have much trouble.

This has to be the first time I've ever seen Nate's defense being described as "good". Tony, statistically speaking, has the superior striking defense, he's more likely to attempt to avoid getting hit in the face while Nate assumes he can eat everything thrown at him. Ferg is also much bigger than Holloway and Poirier, Dustin has gone on record admitting to cutting too much in the past and how he won't do it anymore.

"
Ferguson was a three-sport athlete at Muskegon Catholic Central High School in football, baseball and wrestling. He was the starting defensive back for the 2002 state football champions and was a three-time All-State selection in wrestling, winning the 152 lbs division in 2002.

After high school, Ferguson enrolled at Central Michigan University before transferring to Grand Valley State University. He also did a stint at Muskegon Community College. He did not complete his degree but Ferguson had a successful collegiate wrestling career, winning the 2006 National Collegiate Wrestling Association (NCWA) national wrestling championship in the 165 lbs division.[3]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Ferguson

Also, it should go without saying, Tony is pretty damn good striking. See his fights vs RDA and Barboza.
Not to mention he's a large LW, has great BJJ & cardio, and great recovery ability.

Are you seriously posting a professional athletes achievements from when he was in school? Did you forget to link to his water safety medal and helping-elderly-people-cross-the-road boyscout badge? He has to fight fully grown men who are high-level professional athletes in the UFC, not pimply-faced, masturbation-smelling 14 year old boys.

Tony fans think he can take down Conor because mendes could but they forgot that mendes is one of the best wrestler in UFC

Bruh, even Nate Diaz took Conor down with a single leg running the pipe

They will only admit this after Tony has been knocked unconscious. That's the way it works.

Thats the only way Conor can win though. Cant see him winning any other way. But I can see either winning, would like Tony to win though. But he can be KOed.

f7FdEdG.jpg

Kind of odd "facts", but anyway...

Nate does not have good boxing defense, lol. He just has a really good chin/recovery to go with great cardio. Things Tony has shown as well.

That being said, I've never been a big believer in Tony. Dude looks like he's about to lose in almost every fight, and he's been rocked/knocked down more than Nate has, so his chin isn't as solid it seems.

Khabib is a much bigger threat to conor than Tony imo.
Tony's boxing Is literally not In the same universe as Nate

Canor only ever has a puncher's chance and Ferg isn't a manlet so Canor doesn't even have that. Ferg takes this 100/100 times

I hate mctap but tony is sloppy as absolute fuck and gets dropped every fight. He gets KTFO stiff

Here are some facts:

- Conor's weaknesses are guys with elite wrestling(like Chad Mendes) or good boxing defense(Nate). Tony has neither

- Tony gets hit clean on the chin pretty much every fight, he is wild. Guys like Kevin Lee and Lando dropped him, I can see McGregor doing the same

- Conor has only gassed against Nate when he was at 167 lbs and against Floyd, but that was after 7-8 rounds(20+ minutes) and Conor was pretty much doing all the work, Floyd carried him. Tony Ferguson cannot afford to take 4 rounds off before Conor slows down

- Tony certainly is durable, but people were saying the same about Eddie Alvarez ... you have a chin until you don't

- Tony is not that much bigger, Holloway and Poirier are about his size and Conor didnt have much trouble.

Tony is a good match up, but then again Conor’s the one refusing to fight Tony not us. Conor is rightfully a favorite against Tony.

Canor only ever has a puncher's chance and Ferg isn't a manlet so Canor doesn't even have that. Ferg takes this 100/100 times
Tony gets dropped repeatedly by very poor strikers (Kevin Lee for example). Vannata and Trujillo both dropped him also. Michael Johnson made him look stupid. Conor knocks him out cold snorting 100/100 times

Here are some facts:

I have an issue with the narrative that he gassed in the Floyd fight because it went over 25 minutes.

In a 25 minute MMA match you will have had 4 minutes of rest. In the Mayweather fight he had had 9 minutes of rest going into the 10th round. Yeah it was the longest he had ever fought bit he had also gotten more than double the rest he had gotten going into the 5th round against Diaz.

The narrative just doesn't fit, espesially since it wasn't a particularly high paced fight.

I’m beyond disinterested. I’ve ceased giving any range of fucks about Conor is up to anymore. May the division move on with the talent who are willing to fight. There will always be new stars.

Back