How is Kelvin in such garbage shape

I can say that Kelvin could be in better shape. For his height he is for sure fighting in the wrong weight class. Problem is that he makes it work for him.. Cant drag him down from the top if it works

Wasn't it like 110 degrees out? I mean to play devil's advocate, that's pretty brutal to run in. It looked like he was throwing water, so my guess is that he was just downing an absurd amount of water.

Sorry but I just did a Spartan Race (6 kms of running with 25 obstacles on the way) with 36 degrees celcius outside, and I finished it without throwing up and I am no professional athlete.

A professional athlete should look like one. Kelvin may be good fighter but he looks really bad.

Sorry but I just did a Spartan Race (6 kms of running with 25 obstacles on the way) with 36 degrees celcius outside, and I finished it without throwing up and I am no professional athlete.

A professional athlete should look like one. Kelvin may be good fighter but he looks really bad.

i guess Kelvin is lucky he's a fighter and not a runner then.

a professional athlete doesn't have to look like anything, their profession is based on how they perform not how they look and there's way worse looking professional athletes than Kelvin.

There is no goddamn Carla Esparza war wagon. The wheels done fell of that ride long ago, cuz.

The universe/life is always telling Kelvin Gastelum to move to the Welterweight Division and yet, he refuses (because Kelvin loves to eat).

Kelvin Gastelum reminds me of Roy Nelson.

Roy Nelson should have ALWAYS been in the Light Heavyweight Division.

How are their knees at age 40? Probably shot from running on hard roads for years.

You dont get bad knees from running thats just a myth.
Instead most knees are in fantastic shape looking at older runners in their 60 to 80s. We had a guy running 13 marathons this year over 80years old.

You get bad knees if you are a fat fuck or run without learning the technical skills to running. The real knee killers are sports with high velocity , rotation and stopping power like tennis, squash, basketball...etc.

When I amateur boxed we never ran. I was typically walking around at 223 or so, but not even the smaller mexican or armenian fighters really ever ran. We did lots of cycle, eliptical or jump rope work. I can't run a quarter mile, but I can go all day on a stair stepper or a bike. It's odd.
When I amateur boxed, we ran a LOT. I had fights in Europe and Australia / NZ, and also trained in the US. Pretty much everyone ran, except for a few (notable) exceptions. Some boxers don't like to run, but they have always been in the minority, I think. I don't compete anymore (I'm 44), but I still train, and active fighters at my gyms run, just like we did back in the day. Running (along with all the kicking I've done in other martial arts / fighting sports) left me with a bad left knee, so I don't do it anymore, but I would if I could. Nothing really seemed to build my cardio base more effectively.

When I amateur boxed, we ran a LOT. I had fights in Europe and Australia / NZ, and also trained in the US. Pretty much everyone ran, except for a few (notable) exceptions. Some boxers don't like to run, but they have always been in the minority, I think. I don't compete anymore (I'm 44), but I still train, and active fighters at my gyms run, just like we did back in the day. Running (along with all the kicking I've done in other martial arts / fighting sports) left me with a bad left knee, so I don't do it anymore, but I would if I could. Nothing really seemed to build my cardio base more effectively.

I was being a bit hyperbolic. We didn't run that often, but it's not like we NEVER did. We did stuff like wear weight vests and push weighted sleds for what seemed like forever, then jump roped, etc. much more.

I don't think running or generally speaking enormous amounts of aerobic endurance is essential to MMA fighting.
The main reason is that the fights are quite short, compared to the very long boxing fights which certainly strain aerobic capacity.

In an MMA fight, explosiveness & power is more important than Aerobic performance, and knock outs happen much quicker than in boxing. So MMA fighters can be well served working out exclusively in the MMA gym, doing high intensity type exercises such as tabata.

People tend to misunderstand fighters gassing as lacking aerobic capacity. Anyone who trained in martial arts and sparred knows this to be untrue. When I began Muay Thai, I used to be a serious runner who ran serious distances no problem for extended periods of time. I'm talking 1-2.5hrs runs. Yet a 3 minute Muay Thai round had me gasping for air. That's because my heart was not built for the high intensity cardio of fighting, and running/long distance cardio (aerobic) did nothing to prepare my heart for that.

Back