• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How is Izzy's TDD so good?

Makes you wonder if he can actually progress from here.
If he gets even better people might be in some shit lol.

On a side note, I just seen someone say Izzy only won the first round, and that he basically won the fight by switching stances and making confident faces lmao.

Oh sherdog....go home, you're drunk lol.

He barely scraped by. I personally gave Whittaker 2,4,5 rounds. You say his TDD was amazing he still got taken down 4 times.

Izzy is also massive for MW its a big advantage.

All in all I am pretty salty over Rob losing but it is what it is.

He barely scraped by. I personally gave Whittaker 2,4,5 rounds. You say his TDD was amazing he still got taken down 4 times.

Izzy is also massive for MW its a big advantage.

All in all I am pretty salty over Rob losing but it is what it is.

Rob couldn't keep him down for more than a few seconds, and I definitely don't think Rob won even though I wanted him to win.

Really?

He clearly works on it and employs the exact same techniques that everyone else uses. (Undercooks, lean into fence, keep his hip back, sprawl, butterflies, hip escape, wall walk)

He has solid leverage and he is in exceptional physical condition.

What is the mystery?
People assume if you're not a wrestler by trade then you can't learn takedown defense.

It helps when you don’t fight competent wrestlers. And the only one he fought was Brunson, who uh, is questionable.

Rob couldn't keep him down for more than a few seconds, and I definitely don't think Rob won even though I wanted him to win.

Soooo ability to get up = TDD? Since when?
He got Taken down what happens after that comes down to control.

A few leg kicks (alot of them got checked) does not equate to a dominate performance.

like I said it is what it is. He scraped by and it is annoying how the narrative is painting it like a dominate performance.

Soooo ability to get up = TDD? Since when?
He got Taken down what happens after that comes down to control.

A few leg kicks (alot of them got checked) does not equate to a dominate performance.

like I said it is what it is. He scraped by and it is annoying how the narrative is painting it like a dominate performance.

Rob was tentative the entire fight after that knockdown.
Im not gonna sit here and argue about it sir.
Rob lost, I wanted him to win but he simply never did enough.

Rob was tentative the entire fight after that knockdown.
Im not gonna sit here and argue about it sir.
Rob lost, I wanted him to win but he simply never did enough.

Of course you don’t want to argue… You can’t back up your claims the stats dont even back you up.

TD’s if completed matter. (They don’t need to lead to a sub or time controlled on the ground) it broke Izzy’s rhythm and should have given Rob the round.

Judges clearly rating pitter patter leg kicks (did not effect Robs ability to move) higher then anything Rob threw.

Like I said it is what it is but it was far from a dominate performance from Izzy.

2,4,5 for Rob

Of course you don’t want to argue… You can’t back up your claims the stats dont even back you up.

TD’s if completed matter. (They don’t need to lead to a sub or time controlled on the ground) it broke Izzy’s rhythm and should have given Rob the round.

Judges clearly rating pitter patter leg kicks (did not effect Robs ability to move) higher then anything Rob threw.

Like I said it is what it is but it was far from a dominate performance from Izzy.

2,4,5 for Rob

You are being emotional like a woman on her rag right now sir.
I watched the fight, Izzy fuckin won...deal with it.
I wanted Rob to win too, but he didn't.

Izzy has a 77% tdd for his career...not bad for someone that sucks at it guy.

Have a good one you salted pretzel.

You are being emotional like a woman on her rag right now sir.
I watched the fight, Izzy fuckin won...deal with it.
I wanted Rob to win too, but he didn't.

Izzy has a 77% tdd for his career...not bad for someone that sucks at it guy.

Have a good one you salted pretzel.

Look at how many TD are attempted on him and by whom. Context matters. Also calling me emotional like a wan her rags….. is bigoted mate.

And for someone who is done with arguing with me about it, you sure typed alot.

And again 2,4,5 for Rob

It's not...Rob took him down like 5 times and he's not a good wrestler

Whittaker is not exactly a wrestler.

Very good TDD but there are many fighters with better TDD. It’s not like Whittaker is known for being a terrific wrestler, and he’s also a lot smaller than Adesanya. Adesanya is a terrific fighter but take away his height and reach advantage, he would have struggled a lot more with someone like Whittaker.

Whittaker's actually a decorated wrestler though.

Freestyle wrestling career[edit source]
Whittaker began competing in amateur freestyle wrestling tournaments in 2015, when he unexpectedly turned up to compete in the Australia Cup in Canberra. He won each of his three bouts.[91] It was also at the 2015 Australia Cup that Whittaker flagged the possibility of potentially representing Australia in Olympic or Commonwealth wrestling competitions.[92] He returned to the wrestling mat in May 2017 and claimed the Australian National Wrestling Championships gold medal in the 97 kg (213 lbs) division.[93] After winning the national championship, Whittaker entered Australia's 2018 Commonwealth Games 97 kg qualifying tournament in November 2017. He would once again claim first place in his division and in doing so qualified to represent Australia in the 2018 Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast,[94][95] the city in which he made his UFC debut. Following his qualification, Whittaker made it clear he would only compete in the Commonwealth Games if the event did not interfere with his UFC commitments.[96] It was confirmed in March 2018 that Whittaker would be one of eight Australians to compete in the Commonwealth Games wrestling competition in April 2018.[97] However, Whittaker was forced to withdraw from the Games less than three weeks from the event in order not to risk being stripped of his UFC championship title, as the UFC was concerned that an injury incurred during the Commonwealth Games would render him unable to compete for the middleweight championship at UFC 225 against Yoel Romero on 9 June 2018.[98]

Its good, but not amazing, not as good as JDS or Aldo for example. If Adesanya tried LHW again I could easily see Glover choking him out, Rob had the position but was unsure what to do and not strong enough, Glover would have finished it, he is beyond strong, maybe not even the choke, just a neck crank it would be over

Yup and even Whitaker himself actually has better takedown defense than Izzy I think but it's useless for him in this particular matchup. Izzy's takedown defense is very good but it's not atg level td defense. Those other guys you mentioned wouldn't get taken down even momentarily by someone like vettori or Rob. You need to be a much better wrestler than that
Yeah, according to the UFC stats, Whittaker has 80% TDD over the course of his career. Very solid.

He has a big size advantage over his division. Nothing sophisticated about it, he just panics back up. Didn't work against Jan aka someone closer to his size.

Whittaker isn't that good of a MMA grappler. Vettori is good, but he's very slow compared to Izzy and seems to rely more on strength than technique

Fighters like Prime Rockhold, Weidman, and Khamzat would do much better when grappling against Izzy (not saying that they will win though). They are all better complete grapplers than anyone Izzy has fought. They rely more on technique than simply outmuscling Izzy.

Izzy is also much stronger than he looks, and his height and reach advantage gives him another advantage. And as others have said, Izzy's TDD/scrambling at MW is very underrated.

I think Weidman would gave him a good fight back in the day for sure.
Would he win? Who knows, but I'd like to see it sir lol.

Got takedown 4 times against Rob and 3 times against Jan, 40 and 60% respectively, I wouldn't say it's this good.

Back