How is Alex able to dominate at 36 after a long hard career?

Because he’s one of the best combat athletes ever. Incredible fighter and salty Izzy fans can shut it. He’s so scary. He keeps getting better too.

I see more salty Izzy haters than Izzy fans to be honest.

Dude wasn't even on the card and has no fight scheduled but his haters keep talking about him every time that someone make a thread about Pereira.

Plenty of Kick boxers fight into their 40's and are still very good historically.

So I won't expect Alex to really slow down any over the next few years. He also isn't really a speed/agile fighter and that is the first to go.

It's weird he has 2 belts & half of Pereira's threads have idiots explaining why he's not good. Maybe they'd prefer if he shot takedowns & laid on people for 30 minutes.

It’s probably favorable stylistic matchup and aging athletes. There aren’t any real young wrestlers at 205.

Alex is impressive. He beat 5 former champions so far. I will admit the 205 division is a bit weak though.
205 seems weak when Jon Jones and Cormier aren't around anymore. Jiri and Jan and Hill are legit great fighters

205 seems weak when Jon Jones and Cormier aren't around anymore. Jiri and Jan and Hill are legit great fighters
They let go a lot of 205ers to Bellator. Majority of them were wrestlers. Jiri and Hill aren’t bad fighters but Alex has a much easier time against strikers vs wrestlers.

I guess he can still fight at this level for a bit since power goes least and he isn't really relying much on his reflexes but rather skill and timing. He isn't relying on speed either.

jamahal hill is B-tier.
Damn, Sherdog's revisionism... 1 fight ago Hill was a lineal champion with wins over Glover, OSP, Santos and Johnny Walker. Now he is "b-tier", "never was good", etc.

<{hughesimpress}>

He's fighting in divisions which are much weaker than they were 10 years ago.

Anderson Silva was kicking ass at 36 too. The downfall in this brutal sport can come out of nowhere though.

He hasn't been grinding up all his cartilage with MMA training/camps for very long. His power kept him from being in too many wars because most guys aren't stupid enough to outright trade with him, and I'd be willing to bet he has pretty robust genetics. He's likely approaching the end of his prime now, but still has at least a couple good years left being competitive at the top of a generally thin division. Good example of a fighter with gifts who has been coached well to utilize them.

Normally at 36 fighters are declining around this age Fedor got cracked Anderson lost and Khabib and GSP retired.

Alex is in a new sport and has won two belts against younger killers and former champs in their prime

He is nothing short of amazing.
Fedor was so freakishly fast and his reflexes were unbelievable…on top of that he had the skill and power(which he started relying on more and MORE as he aged and slowed down).

Sadly, like RJJ in boxing, speed and reflexes are the FIRST thing to go when you age and neither Fedor nor RJJ were ever technically fundamental.

Alex is technique and power personified, so he can still hang.

You’re welcome.

He has the perfect kickboxing style to crossover into MMA, perfect size to match up well against the elites, perfect weight classes(every division above WW is trash low skill standard), and on top of it he has a high fight IQ and prepares well.

He's been hand fed strikers and he has a lifetime of experience at striking. But of course yall don't see that because yall only do it to certain fighters lol
Damn…
Fedor's biggest advantage over other HWs was his speed & explosiveness. Despite his physique, he was super fast & explosive for a HW. At MW, even though Hendo is not known for being fast & explosive, Fedor doesn't have that edge. Fighters that rely on speed & explosiveness typically decline much faster
Also, Dan is the power H-bomb guy plus(even tho I love Dan)…TRT power

Normally at 36 fighters are declining around this age Fedor got cracked Anderson lost and Khabib and GSP retired.

Alex is in a new sport and has won two belts against younger killers and former champs in their prime

He is nothing short of amazing.
Because LHW has been going downhill since 2009 and the average age of the division (35.6) is comparable to Pereira's age (36).

Because he’s a professional fighter backed with a team of professionals and has years worth of experience competing against fighters who are not on his level of striking.

Plenty of Kick boxers fight into their 40's and are still very good historically.

So I won't expect Alex to really slow down any over the next few years. He also isn't really a speed/agile fighter and that is the first to go.
Alex is not a kickboxer. He is MMA fighter

You're used to Pride fans lying to you about fighter's longevity.

So why did Fedor get knocked out by Hendo. Alex is something special.
Because he's a small heavyweight its not his natural disposition he survived there with speed and fast reflexes which go away first with age

Back