how good would prime tito/chuck/rampage be in modern ufc?

The LHW division seems to have regressed. With the exception of Jones(who was using extracurricular supplements) and DC, the LHW’s of the past decade have been underwhelming.

The shadow of prime Jones,Dc,Gufstafson,Rumble and even Glover makes the current division look horrible.

Like all those guys would be champ/1 contender with ease.

They'd all be fine. I think Page would likely do the best as, in his prime, he had wrestling, boxing and a chin.

Was going to post this to a tee.

The LHW division seems to have regressed. With the exception of Jones(who was using extracurricular supplements) and DC, the LHW’s of the past decade have been underwhelming.
I think Ankalaev would fare pretty well against the 3.

Jiri vs prime Chuck would be pure violence. Chuck had been cracked in his prime... IDK where the idea of him being an impossible guy to KO comes from.

All of them would fit along with magomed, Jiri, Glover and Jan

The shadow of prime Jones,Dc,Gufstafson,Rumble and even Glover makes the current division look horrible.

Like all those guys would be champ/1 contender with ease.

LHW Rumble got wrecked by MW Vitor

Gustafson got wrecked by MW Anthony Smith

Glover is from the old generation and still became champ.

No disagreement on Jones except we’ll never know because he popped throughout his career.

DC perhaps would’ve been champ but his chin and cardio are compromised at LHW per his own words

Both guys would do quite well.

If all three had modern MMA training from the beginning I think they all would possibly hold belts in today's era. The human body didn't all the sudden evolve, the training and level of training partners did. They were the cream of the crop then, so there's no evidence to say that they wouldn't rise to the top today as well, or at least be in the mix.

LHW Rumble got wrecked by MW Vitor

Gustafson got wrecked by MW Anthony Smith

Glover is from the old generation and still became champ.

No disagreement on Jones except we’ll never know because he popped throughout his career.

DC perhaps would’ve been champ but his chin and cardio are compromised at LHW per his own words

Come on mate prime rumble was a beast.
His power, technique and physicality is too much for most 205 er.

Prime gus is nothing like washed Gus.

No one beside Jones is good enough of a defensive wrestler to defend Cormier's tds.

All those guy would wreck the current division.
Jobbers like smith are in the top 5 and walker is in the top 10.

I think Ankalaev would fare pretty well against the 3.

Jiri vs prime Chuck would be pure violence. Chuck had been cracked in his prime... IDK where the idea of him being an impossible guy to KO comes from.

Not impossible but his technique and defense was always ackward and he took big shots in unstable position pretty well.
His chin was not on Hunt's level but he clearly had a great chin.
Tbf most top 205 er in his era had a great chin. His chin is a bit overrated but still clearly above average.

Those 3 will still do well. They aren't really outsized and they will benefit from modern training. These guys are all sort of can't pass USADA though. They are from a different generation of MMA when testing was a little easier.

Last edited:
Rashad Evans in his prime would have been the champ today.

Let me run my algorithm:

*Checks birth country* USA
*Checks year* 2022

Result = 95% chance of being gatekeepers or journeymen, virtually no chance at a title in the global expansion era

People forgot how good was motivated Rampage
Rampage-Jackson-STACK.jpg

giphy.gif

HTcQ.gif

ImpassionedAcademicHyrax-max-1mb.gif
The moment Rampage moved to England it was over.

Prime Rampage was training with Bas 2x per day and was a monster standing, and in clinch, guard, and side guard...

Hurt me seeing how he came out vs Fedor.

If you take the best fighters from any era and give them access to latest coaches and techniques etc, stands to reason they'd still be among the best now
this is my basic answer to every thread like this.

it's like people want to silo things and believe these guys of the past would do things the exact same way now.

my belief is if you have the grit and dedication to be great in one era, you're likely going to be in any era, since you'll apply that to all the knowledge and tools available there.

Of the very old LHWs, I think Hendo was the best, if you dropped the prime version of him in the current LHW division, I think he'd be #5.

Of those three, I think a prime version of Rampage would fare best today. He was hella' durable, great boxing, KO power, and a wrestling game he could turn on when he needed it. Also, even though he's mocked jiu jitsu in the past, he had a very good anti-grappling game. In over 50 fights, he's only been submitted twice. That's impressive, especially given the level of competition he faced throughout his career.

I think Tito would also do well. He's easy to make fun of these days, but at his best he was a very strong wrestle-grappler with great conditioning and could finish people with g&p, and occasionally with a sub. People forget that even though he was losing a lot of fights towards the end of his UFC run, he was still competitive in most of them.

Lastly, I don't think Chuck would do nearly as well today. I recently watched almost all of Chuck's UFC and Pride fights, and he got by largely on his KO power and durability. He wasn't fast, he got hit a lot, and even though his conditioning wasn't bad, he also never pushed a very high pace. Of course, his famous defensive wrestling enabled him to carve out a great career beating offensive wrestler types who weren't very good strikers. I could picture a prime Chuck beating a few of today's 205ers, but I don't think he would crack a modern top 10 of the division.

They'd all do fine. Anthony Smith is hovering around the top 5 FFS.
Dude hasn't been a favorite in a fight since beating up the ghost of Rashad and Shogun.

Dinosaur Glover was champ a few months ago. I love Glover but him (or Jan) bring champ is an indictment against the 205 division. Bellator has a few people that could immediately come to the UFC and be 205 champ and it would immediately increase the legitimacy of the UFC's 205 division.

Back