How good was Cung Le?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I have noticed that he has a very impressive highlight and is undefeated in kickboxing as well as being a San Shou champion.

I am curious to know how good he was in his UFC days vs his prime. Also, I felt like him losing to Bisping was a big shock but I am not sure if he was the underdog or not in that fight. Was he?

His fight against Frank Shamrock was epic. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it. Very fun to watch, but not complete enough to challenge at top levels of the UFC.

Definitely a damn good striker. He was just too old by the time he made it to the UFC.

This was a good one

cung-le-ko-rich-franklin.gif

Very very good striker. Great kicks. Great timing. Had very good defense when he first started but he was around 40 his last few fights, which is why I will give him a pass in the Bisping fight.

He started MMA very late but showed how good of a fighter he was and his career turned out way better than a lot of people expected. So he was definitely impressive

That Rich Franklin KO was pretty wicked, he sent Franklin to the ground 180.

Pretty good, got into MMA pretty late I think?
Cool and powerful traditional kick techniques, I think it was that more than anything he mastered a cool style but lacked a bit in the complete game like...cardio etc.
A modern day of cung lee is daron Cruickshank lacks a bit of the whole game but as far as kicking, he is from another planet.

I have noticed that he has a very impressive highlight and is undefeated in kickboxing as well as being a San Shou champion.

I am curious to know how good he was in his UFC days vs his prime. Also, I felt like him losing to Bisping was a big shock but I am not sure if he was the underdog or not in that fight. Was he?
6/10 on his best day

Had a unique striking game with his shan shou but his boxing defense was exposed bad by Scott Smith, Wanderlei, and Bisping

His cardio and chin would have been a problem for him at any age in MMA. His offense was better than his defense. I think in a ring he'd have done much better. He wrestled when he was younger and was pretty good in that area.

had the best spinning back kick in mma.
10_Cung_Le_vs_Scott_Smith_203-thumb-640xauto-46821.jpg

dude could kick like a mule. it wasnt age that held him back but his addiction to pizza and chocolate. started getting really fat and lazy between fights. except for that monstrosity of enhanced physique he had for the Bisping fight, which was also his worst performance.

Fun to watch. How good was he? Well I would say really good, I wold never watch a card just because of him. If he was on a card I made sure to watch his fight though. His kicking was good, his striking was good. For the time and for his age they were very good.

Also the only guy who had as legit as you can get false test. Probably still ruined his reputation. If anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt about a test it is him.

His fight against Frank Shamrock was epic. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it. Very fun to watch, but not complete enough to challenge at top levels of the UFC.

Pretty entertaining fight.

Scott Smith finished Cung in his "prime"...

Back