How good is swimming for wrestling?

Lowsingle119

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, i'am a wrestler but i really like this forum. Anyway, as i get more serious in the sport i'am looking for every advantage i can get. But, i'm a weakling, i never workout and eat garbage, i think i can be alot better stronger and lighter if i change my lifestyle a little. But, i have dont have alot of opportunities, at my house i have an iron gym(pull up bar), 10lb medicine ball, 15lb barbell set and 10lb barbells, and a 40x18' inground pool. I just want to make progress using what i have available right now, i really want a punching bag also but thats a different story. Can anyone point me in the right direction to using what i have to a decent routine?

wrestlers aren't ideal for swimming with their low bf. Fat girls are awesome swimmers.

wrestlers aren't ideal for swimming with their low bf. .

Haha this brings back memories of high school. Our coach would occasionally have us swim laps if he wanted us to have a rest day. We sucked.

Also as a side note I remember our coach telling us before that the chlorine that is put in pools also kills the bacteria that causes ringworm. A few of us would occasionally go for a swim after wrestling practice and laugh our asses off when the guy's swimming team walked in later and bitched about "sweaty wrestlers getting shit in the pool". We offered to wrestle them for the pool, but they would always decline.

Good times.

wrestlers aren't ideal for swimming with their low bf. Fat girls are awesome swimmers.

haha i know this wasnt serious but im a wrestler and i sink like a rock so it was funny to me

Haha this brings back memories of high school. Our coach would occasional have us swim laps if he wanted us to have a rest day. We sucked.

Also as a side note I remember our coach telling us before that the chlorine that is put in pools also kills the bacteria that causes ringworm. A few of us would occasionally go for a swim after wrestling practice and laugh our asses off when the guy's swimming team walked in later and bitched about "sweaty wrestlers getting shit in the pool". We offered to wrestle them for the pool, but they would always decline.

Good times.

What about racing them for the pool?

what i meant was of course you would outwrestle them, you're a wrestler. And of course they'd outswim you, they're swimmers. Don't be unfair.

How bout we meet halfway in the middle. If we could pin them underwater we get the pool.

haha i know this wasnt serious but im a wrestler and i sink like a rock so it was funny to me

i had a hard time being a victim at my life guard test because I sank to the bottom instead of floating. I ended up helping people save me.

what i meant was of course you would outwrestle them, you're a wrestler. And of course they'd outswim you, they're swimmers. Don't be unfair.

i think you missed the joke.

Swimming is good for ya, but a better idea, if you can't get to a weight room would be Never Gymless by Ross, at the link above. I'm surprised you don't have access to a weight room at school, though.

And yeah, I can swim fairly well, but even with my BF%, I can sink pretty easy. When I did my lifeguard cert the first time, people hated when it was their turn to save me.

I am 15 going to 16 in may, and chlorine does kill ringworm quicker as far as i am concerned, last summer it sped up the process and made it last like a week as opposed to like 2 to 3 weeks, but bleach works well also to kill it in a week.

Anyway, i was under the impression that swimming builds muscle, and is it good for condition also, it'd be nice to be in relatively good shape before i start running to to get inshape for practice.

You're really looking at this the wrong way. Swimmers swim for hours each day to get better at...swimming. If you want to build your strength, even with your limited resources, follow the suggestions you've already gotten and look into one of Ross's programs.

Back