How good do you think Matt Hughes would be in todays UFC?

Istryker

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking if Matt Hughes was in his prime in today’s WW landscape do you think he would be the belt holder? Or is his skill set outdated compared to modern welterweights? Dude is one of my favorite throwback fighters and I’m curious what people think

Although I see Huges as a great hall of famer, I don't see him being no where near as dominant!

I he's short in comparison to a lot of WW's on today's roster. A lot of which also having good wrestling. IMO much better striking too.

It would go either two ways, dominant champion crushing everyone and slamming with rnc"s and GNP.

Or if he decides to be a kickboxer/modern "MMA fighter" he would get murked. That is what happens pretty much anytime he came out "striking".

He would lose to all of the elite. He'd be maybe Top 10.

Last edited:
Although I see Huges as a great hall of famer, I don't see him being no where near as dominant!

I he's short in comparison to a lot of WW's on today's roster. A lot of which also having good wrestling. IMO much better striking too.

He would lose to all of the elite. He's be maybe Top 10.
It would go either two ways, dominant champion crushing everyone and slamming with rnc"s and GNP.

Or if he decides to be a kickboxer/modern "MMA fighter" he would get murked. That is what happens pretty much anytime he came out "striking".

you guys are breaking my heart haha

He'd be top 10, but I don't think he'd have much for the elite of the division. Usman, Colby, and Woodley in particular seem like really bad match ups for him. All great wrestlers with significantly better striking skills.

But at the end of the day, it's always unfair to compare athletes of different eras. Gotta judge a guy within his own era.

Except when he fought Almeida. He rocked Almeida standing and started grappling with him and you can hear his corner scream stop wrestling and get back to the stand up.

He then reverse arm triangled Almeida to sleep.

He would get destroyed by the top 10. Hughes is one dimensional, the game has evolved

He was dominant when he was better than everyone else.

Here's the thing that most people don't think about in these kinds of conversations; if there is a hypothetical 2020 Matt Hughes, does that include the literal 2020s training environment too?

A guy with Hughes' talent makes a splash in any era.

suspended for two years

It all depends on whether or not he had a good country breakfast

He'd be top 10, but I don't think he'd have much for the elite of the division. Usman, Colby, and Woodley in particular seem like really bad match ups for him. All great wrestlers with significantly better striking skills.

But at the end of the day, it's always unfair to compare athletes of different eras. Gotta judge a guy within his own era.
I think he was better wrestling than Colby plus bigger, stronger and better cardio. He doesn't need striking to beat Colby.
Against Woodley, see the Woodley vs Jake shields fight. Hughes avoids the killer shot while constantly attacking with TDs and forcing Woodley to work
Against Usman, it really comes down to the better wrestler and no we don't know who that is. Hughes was D1 wrestler while Usman was a D2 champ.
He would get destroyed by the top 10. Hughes is one dimensional, the game has evolved
I think his striking is just as good as one dimensional Usman and Colby. FFS colby was getting out struck by Maia until he gassed. You can't tell me he has competent stinking.

Usman vs Colby while entertaining was an amateurish striking display.

And if put prime Hughes in with the Robbie that Colby fought Hughes pounds him before the end of the fight.

Great wrestling, good subs and awesome cardio. Would give anyone a tough fight, especially if we're imagining him having modern training techniques.

Back