How getting oblique kick feels?

BonesWinckleJones

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I rarely see fighters commit alot of power to this kick how painful is that?

THe oblique as in knee kick from the front, I haven’t had it done to me.
A stomp kick to the side of the knee I’ve received and done.

I’ve never received what I would call an effective knee kick.
I have managed two very effective knee kicks against others.
Neither was a fight ender on their own, but both set me up to end the match.
One was a fight night with friends and friends of friends etc, the other was sparring with a student.
The fight night opponent studied ‘ninjutsu’.
I have done several other effective kicks to the knee however that one or two cut my opponent’s mobility significantly, or made them less aggressive.

Hope that helped a bit.

Another relevant nickname. What is going on

Cool rear leg oblique kick setup at 5:15

Cool rear leg oblique kick setup at 5:15

Its very common in Wing Chun in drills and in combat to break structure drive forward attacks while simultaneously trapping or punching in some form.

how-wing-chun-helped-robert-downey-jr-battle-addiction.jpg

You see this in many UFC/MMA fighters as well utilzing it .....

main-qimg-d78e49363034e475b23e7ec1d8e8670e

But they don't follow up and fall forward with an attacking entry/punch. Usually, they tend to use it as a stop-hit forward attack where in Wing Chun you drive in.

If the leg goes back like that in the above screenshot as the kicks drive forward and down it will cause severe damage and pain, if not break the knee at the front...

a00523f04.jpg

Some info on front knee breaks....... https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/patellar-kneecap-fractures/

Last edited:
Ever overpunched and felt your joint hyperextend? That the same with a oblique kick to the knee, it overextends sends a little shock through your knee and tendons and after that it doesn't hurt unless serious damage is done. Same with a hook to the jaw, it doesn't hurt at the moment but afterwards you might feel fucked up.

yeah oblique kick is just a fancy name for knee stomp. knee stomp is not a sport move, its a self defense moved design to break the knee by hyperextending it. Similar to an armbar. I dont know how it feels and I dont want too, although I would imagine it probably feels like someone kicking you in your knee and bending it backwards, probably similar to how an armbar feels if someone does not stop when you tap I would guess.

I have used the oblique kick in a "real" fight once when I was younger. I got jumped and was on my back, the guy was trying to kick me in my head from the side, I was spinning on my back to face him, and I kicked him in his supporting knee, it didnt break it but it made him limp and stop.

yeah oblique kick is just a fancy name for knee stomp. knee stomp is not a sport move, its a self defense moved design to break the knee by hyperextending it. Similar to an armbar. I dont know how it feels and I dont want too, although I would imagine it probably feels like someone kicking you in your knee and bending it backwards, probably similar to how an armbar feels if someone does not stop when you tap I would guess.

I have used the oblique kick in a "real" fight once when I was younger. I got jumped and was on my back, the guy was trying to kick me in my head from the side, I was spinning on my back to face him, and I kicked him in his supporting knee, it didnt break it but it made him limp and stop.
Excellent post & on point.

Its very common in Wing Chun in drills and in combat to break structure drive forward attacks while simultaneously trapping or punching in some form.

how-wing-chun-helped-robert-downey-jr-battle-addiction.jpg

You see this in many UFC/MMA fighters as well utilzing it .....

main-qimg-d78e49363034e475b23e7ec1d8e8670e

But they don't follow up and fall forward with an attacking entry/punch. Usually, they tend to use it as a stop-hit forward attack where in Wing Chun you drive in.

If the leg goes back like that in the above screenshot as the kicks drive forward and down it will cause severe damage and pain, if not break the knee at the front...

a00523f04.jpg

Some info on front knee breaks....... https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/patellar-kneecap-fractures/
there's an awful lot of hype around how much damage a knee kick can do. theoretically it's all true and correct, yet there's no evidence of such an injury occurring in a fight as far as i can find, and when challenged the believers of that hype have never been able to provide evidence. the closest they could provide was a shitty teacher/instructor demonstrating an oblique kick on YT and breaking his stationary compliant partner's knee...

so the result you got in a self defense situation was little more effective than what we've seen in MMA...
you say it's not a sport move yet, it's allowed in MMA, and has never resulted in broken leg...

so the result you got in a self defense situation was little more effective than what we've seen in MMA...
you say it's not a sport move yet, it's allowed in MMA, and has never resulted in broken leg...

it wasnt the cleanest shot, we have no idea how bad it was after the fact as they fled, given how bad he was limping on it, and that he was immediately limping on it, despite the adrenaline of a fight, could mean it was injured bad, or maybe my kick didnt hurt him much at all and he was fine 5 minutes later well never know.

The knee stomp is an effective self defense move that is extremely difficult to counter and pretty easy to do...its a lot like kicking someone in the nuts....it works.

I have my view point on this subject and it has already been discussed here, i am not interested in debating it with you.

Whatever view point anyone has on it, and any way it can be viewed, at the end of the day, the goal of the oblique kick is to hyper extend the persons knee, that is the goal of the kick. I think we can all agree on that. Well hyperextending someones knee can cause severe injury. Just like hyperextending someones arm in an armbar can cause severe injury. Difference being in the armbar, you can tap, with the oblique kick there is no tapping because its a strike. Can it be countered...........sure, its possible.

heres an injury for you

Angel%2BHuerta%2BOblique%2BKicks%2BMiguel%2BTorres%2Bin%2Bthe%2BKnee%2BLegacy%2BKickboxing%2B1.gif

there's an awful lot of hype around how much damage a knee kick can do. theoretically it's all true and correct, yet there's no evidence of such an injury occurring in a fight as far as i can find, and when challenged the believers of that hype have never been able to provide evidence. the closest they could provide was a shitty teacher/instructor demonstrating an oblique kick on YT and breaking his stationary compliant partner's knee...

Unless you stand in a shitty stance (front leg heavy, leg nearly straight) it's not going to do much other than annoy you or stop your forward momentum when you're trying to close distance.

Does it work great in the streets against untrained dinks? Absolutely, because they don't know what a proper stance is and stand around on stiff legs, you could not ask for an easier or better target for a knee stomp. But against trained fighters who use a good stance it doesn't do any significant damage, at worst they might get some bruising and tingle a bit

Unless you stand in a shitty stance (front leg heavy, leg nearly straight) it's not going to do much other than annoy you or stop your forward momentum when you're trying to close distance.

Does it work great in the streets against untrained dinks? Absolutely, because they don't know what a proper stance is and stand around on stiff legs, you could not ask for an easier or better target for a knee stomp. But against trained fighters who use a good stance it doesn't do any significant damage, at worst they might get some bruising and tingle a bit
i haven't even been able to find evidence of it doing serious harm in street fights yet.

it wasnt the cleanest shot, we have no idea how bad it was after the fact as they fled, given how bad he was limping on it, and that he was immediately limping on it, despite the adrenaline of a fight, could mean it was injured bad, or maybe my kick didnt hurt him much at all and he was fine 5 minutes later well never know.

The knee stomp is an effective self defense move that is extremely difficult to counter and pretty easy to do...its a lot like kicking someone in the nuts....it works.

I have my view point on this subject and it has already been discussed here, i am not interested in debating it with you.

Whatever view point anyone has on it, and any way it can be viewed, at the end of the day, the goal of the oblique kick is to hyper extend the persons knee, that is the goal of the kick. I think we can all agree on that. Well hyperextending someones knee can cause severe injury. Just like hyperextending someones arm in an armbar can cause severe injury. Difference being in the armbar, you can tap, with the oblique kick there is no tapping because its a strike. Can it be countered...........sure, its possible.

heres an injury for you

Angel%2BHuerta%2BOblique%2BKicks%2BMiguel%2BTorres%2Bin%2Bthe%2BKnee%2BLegacy%2BKickboxing%2B1.gif
i mean a good kick to the thigh can cause an immediate limp. a shin can cause a hell of a charlie horse. an immediate limp doesn't indicate a serious/debilitating/maiming injury. it just means something hurt.
isn't the goal of punching someone in the head to knock them out? knocking someone out causes brain damage. getting knocked out is literally a mild concussion...while the goal of shin checking a kick isn't to break a leg, it results in broken legs more often than the oblique kick ever has in competition...

it hurt, but how bad was the actual injury, do you have any information on this fight for me look it up?

while the goal of shin checking a kick isn't to break a leg, it results in broken legs more often than the oblique kick ever has in competition...

this is not true if you take into consideration how common the leg check is in MT, its as common as the jab in boxing. Meaning the frequency of leg checks being used vs oblique kicks used is 100 to 1. Yet we see plenty of injuries with the oblique kick. It makes no sense to me how people can be advocates of the oblique kick, yeah its a great technique, it fucks shit up, then on the other hand try to defend it as if its not that dangerous.....its an effective technique, thats difficult to block, with a high chance for injury is the bottom line of the technique.

i dont buy into the whole, well your trying to give me brain damage so its fair to break your knee, well your trying to break my knee so its fair to kick you in your balls and poke you eyeballs out. its a weak defense of the technique. You could again probably pull some numbers to determine how much brain damage is happening from a jab (specifically) vs injuries from oblique kicks.

The point of the fight is to KO the guy, not break his knee, if you dont like the fact your opponent is trying to KO you, you shouldnt be fighting, if you want to resort to breaking peoples knees because they are trying to do something to you that you signed up for, at what point do we draw the line? Should we allow eye pokes since your trying to ruin my knee? I just dont agree with it man.

Well, if we conversate about self defense not ring, there many things are different.
If we advocate that these kicks are safe for ring, I maybe will advocate to allow open hands techniques. For example, strikes from side of hand spear, not direct strikes if applied to neck higher than where throat located, from some opinions rarely kills.
So if one wish to use strikes to knee, I maybe might advocate opinion, that open hand techniques are enough safe for ring and…
why bother about knee, let's allow frontal direct strikes to lower leg with strike like frontal low mae geri….
Why not? Really effective stuff on tech streets, let's allow in ring.

I just dont agree with it man.

I felt that way when Bones and some other fighters started spamming them. I thought it was cheap, added damage without adding much to the sport (like a headbutt) and probably should be banned.

But it turns out it isn't a trump card - it has a long history in Savate. It can be defended against. The fighters adapted. Gus Jones I, Gus was nullifying it with lots of movement.

Look at this last fight, Jones had nearly no success with it and often he got countered hard when he tried because missing with an oblique kick puts you in a weird, close range position.

To paraphrase Jack Slack, banning the oblique kick would be like banning the armbar because fighters refused to tap or learn how to defend against it.

Back