How Far Away From A Title Shot Is Gastelum/Woodley Winner?

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
You gotta think the winner of this fight will be zeroing in. Since Woodley's loss to Rory Macdonald he picked up an impressive TKO victory of Dong Hyun Kim just a month after and is looking to once again make it two in a row against a rising, undefeated contender in Kelvin Gastelum who just defeated long time top 10 stand out in Jake Ellenberger. I'd say at most the winner is two fights away from a title shot, but the argument could be made for a #1 contender fight for the winner.

What do you guys think? How far away is the winner and who should they be matched up with next?

Gastelum wins belt @ end of 2015

I don't know about that. He looked very hittable against Story and was getting tagged a little too much against Ellenberger even if he subbed him quickly.

They'll have to wait until either Lawler or Hendricks retire first

kelvins progress is pretty amazing

hes a very tough test for hendricks imo. lawler probably matches up a bit tougher though

given kelvins current ability and the vast improvement we see every time out, its not that unlikely hes champ by 3 title fights from now (behind rorys shot)

lawler vs jake wasnt a complete mauling for 2 rounds. it was actually competetive

Probably another fight or 2 if Rory-Lombard and Lawler-Hendricks end up in April.

If Gastelum: a fight or two

If Woodley: never

The hate is strong in you. Woodley is an excellent fighter and has developed some good power punching to go along with his stellar wrestling. Cross training between ATT and Roufosport is proving to be good for him. I think he can be a champ in the future if he plays his cards right. Did lose a bit of respect for him ducking Hector so hard but definitely still a fan. He was owning Condit regardless of what everyone thinks and would have very likely went on to win that fight without the injury.

The hate is strong in you. Woodley is an excellent fighter and has developed some good power punching to go along with his stellar wrestling. Cross training between ATT and Roufosport is proving to be good for him. I think he can be a champ in the future if he plays his cards right. Did lose a bit of respect for him ducking Hector so hard but definitely still a fan. He was owning Condit regardless of what everyone thinks and would have very likely went on to win that fight without the injury.

Hate? Why would you assume hate? I'm just being realistic.

a) He's in Dana's doghouse since the whole Lombard fiasco

b) He was soundly beaten by Rory. Not that there's any shame in that but it shows how far he is from being the best in the division. He's turning 33 soon, so he's not super young either. Not really old, but it's not like he's gonna being making vast improvements. He's a known entity, we know what he brings to the table. Good enough to be near the top. But not champ material.

Woodley is a Lombard away from a title shot.. Gastelum I'd say 1 or 2 more wins.

Hate? Why would you assume hate? I'm just being realistic.

a) He's in Dana's doghouse since the whole Lombard fiasco

b) He was soundly beaten by Rory. Not that there's any shame in that but it shows how far he is from being the best in the division. He's turning 33 soon, so he's not super young either. Not really old, but it's not like he's gonna being making vast improvements. He's a known entity, we know what he brings to the table. Good enough to be near the top. But not champ material.

Ah, understood. I see your reasoning now. Lack of explanation in your first post led me to believe it was blind hate, my fault!

Depends who they get after. One or two.

Depends on how many times Lawler and Hendricks fight. If they stop at Lawler-Hendricks 4, then winner of this fight may only be one win away. If they they got to a fifth fight, then at least two.

1 more win and the winner gets a TS after Lawler-Hendricks VII

Depends.

I mean we have lawler/Hendricks 3.So rory is next supposedly.But if Gsp comes back they would probably give gsp the title shot.You also have Diaz,if he beats silva he gets a ts at 170 most likely.

170 really is a mess right now

You gotta think the winner of this fight will be zeroing in. Since Woodley's loss to Rory Macdonald he picked up an impressive TKO victory of Dong Hyun Kim just a month after and is looking to once again make it two in a row against a rising, undefeated contender in Kelvin Gastelum who just defeated long time top 10 stand out in Jake Ellenberger. I'd say at most the winner is two fights away from a title shot, but the argument could be made for a #1 contender fight for the winner.

What do you guys think? How far away is the winner and who should they be matched up with next?

You called it friend a hop skip & not even a jump away I'd say. This is why I don't understand this noise of Hendricks/Lawler 3 there's good work for Jonny to work his way back within a year depending?

Depends.

I mean we have lawler/Hendricks 3.So rory is next supposedly.But if Gsp comes back they would probably give gsp the title shot.You also have Diaz,if he beats silva he gets a ts at 170 most likely.

170 really is a mess right now

tumblr_llxk57YN751qb84lwo1_500.gif

who knows,i think rory is clear n1 contender. Lawler/hendricks likely ends in close dec so they could do rematch,there are guys like rory,lombard and matt browne who all wait for their chanse. Winner could be 2-3 fights away,but you never know

Back