Social How does this sound make you feel?

PBAC

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

According to classical conditioning theory most people associate the sound with pain will flinch upon hearing it. We associate certain certain stimuli with positive or negative experiences. Most sounds are neutral until we associate them with something ... e.g the purring cat really means nothing to us about comfort except we associate it with our pets who we use for comfort,

this can be good for sleep anxiety

Last edited:
the day I hate the most in a calendar year is the day of my annual dentist appointment.

Bugs sound, meh.

Could sleep with cat purring noise every night.

Meh.

Funny thing is, I'm actually borderline phobic about the dentist but I had no real issue with getting root canal. It wasn't that bad.

I have a phobia for that sound of water scraper thing. I hate it. I always try to tell my hygienist to just use the regular scraper.

According to classical conditioning theory most people associate the sound with pain will flinch upon hearing it. We associate certain certain stimuli with positive or negative experiences. Most sounds are neutral until we associate them with something ... e.g the purring cat really means nothing to us about comfort except we associate it with our pets who we use for comfort,

this can be good for sleep anxiety

First sound:

I am used to hearing power tools, machinery and pneumatic tools. so I have no good / bad impression of the sound.

Last edited:
The dentist drill doesn't bother me.

The video of the bedbugs creeps me out, but that's more because of the images than the sound.

The only sound that really bothers me is the old nails on a chalk board. Gets me every time.
tenor.gif

Meh.

Funny thing is, I'm actually borderline phobic about the dentist but I had no real issue with getting root canal. It wasn't that bad.
Can confirm. I never experienced any pain while a dentist was using his drill. I mostly associate the feeling with vibration and cold tiny drops of liquid sparkling from the place he drills.

I love my current dentist. Had mad pain and problems end of the year but he root canaled me good. I fell asleep during it, that's how good it is!

Can confirm. I never experienced any pain while a dentist was using his drill. I mostly associate the feeling with vibration and cold tiny drops of liquid sparkling from the place he drills.
Extractions give me massive anxiety but drilling doesn't bother me. Unfortunately I've had a lot of trouble with my wisdom teeth.

Extractions give me massive anxiety but drilling doesn't bother me. Unfortunately I've had a lot of trouble with my wisdom teeth.
Fortunately my trouble with my wisdom teeth was so bad that they decided it was better to knock me out when ridding me of them, because apparently their roots somehow intertwined with the jaw nerve so if they touched that i might move quickly and they accidentally sever it or something. Thank god i took them on the offer, because they told me my teeth were very firmly rooted and difficult to extract. I don't like the thought of long dental procedures while i'm awake, because the bright light and people pulling on my face and sticking their hands in my mouth trigger my autism pretty hard.

my dentists at home always forwarded me to a surgeon. have very deep teeth with triple roots that run into my jaw. In the Netherlands I tried warning the dentist and he went ahead anyway. He couldn't extract it and had to drill out the entire tooth. The pain killers weren't working and he had to keep stopping to inject me with several different shots. When he got to the nub at the end he couldn't pull it from my jaw and jab twist, drill and crack it out. So no, not a fan of dentists.

my dentists at home always forwarded me to a surgeon. have very deep teeth with triple roots that run into my jaw. In the Netherlands I tried warning the dentist and he went ahead anyway. He couldn't extract it and had to drill out the entire tooth. The pain killers weren't working and he had to keep stopping to inject me with several different shots. When he got to the nub at the end he couldn't pull it from my jaw and jab twist, drill and crack it out. So no, not a fan of dentists.
My wisdom teeth had crooked roots that bent back towards my throat so they had to be cut out.
My wife and daughter don't even have wisdom teeth.

Fortunately my trouble with my wisdom teeth was so bad that they decided it was better to knock me out when ridding me of them, because apparently their roots somehow intertwined with the jaw nerve so if they touched that i might move quickly and they accidentally sever it or something. Thank god i took them on the offer, because they told me my teeth were very firmly rooted and difficult to extract. I don't like the thought of long dental procedures while i'm awake, because the bright light and people pulling on my face and sticking their hands in my mouth trigger my autism pretty hard.
I have to be KO'd for an extraction. I had a bad experience with my first extraction.

Back